70lber running on diesel fuel

Moderator: Mike Everman

adam
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: california is home town but currently in new mexico

Post by adam » Tue May 01, 2007 11:02 pm

hey eric i tryed your idea but when i got the copper tubing and tryed to bend the tube a 180 degrees it kinked way before i could bend it that far every time and i also got a blow torch and heated it up cherry red and the thing still freekin kinked'' maybe its just not my luck :evil: maybe ill need to find some different tubes or use somekind of tube bender gadget or somethin :?:

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed May 02, 2007 1:05 am

Copper work hardens pretty fast. Try bending it until it gets hard to bend, then heat with the torch, and quench it in a bucket of water. Quenching just about everything except steel in water actually makes it softer.

Harbor frieght has these little tubing benders for like $3 that work really well, can do up to 3/8" with about a 2.5 diameter bend.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

adam

Post by adam » Wed May 02, 2007 1:28 am

hey eric i was just shopping at some tool store and saw exactly what your talking about, its like a little pair of pliers with a few pulley or somethin that the tubes can seat in, i didnt purchase it because i tought it would still kink but maybe i can see if wallmart has one and if it dont work i can always take it back, thats the best thing about walmart, its a rent a center :D . hey eric, not to degrade your intellegence or anything but i thought that when you heat a metal up to the point were the molucules are moving around or you know what i mean and if you freeze it instantly by dipping it in water or oil i thought the metal will harden and maybe become slightly more brittle because the molocules will stay how they were when the metal was heated and instantly cooled down were as when you heat the metal and let it cool down slowly the molocules will slowly come back to a normal position or somethin like that and the metal will become softer and more flexible, well at least that is what some guy told me who worked on heat treating different metals.

adam

Post by adam » Wed May 02, 2007 1:31 am

Quenching just about everything except steel in water actually makes it softer. ooohpps i didnt really pay attention to that part sorry!

Irvine.J

Adam, film for copper tube bending

Post by Irvine.J » Wed May 02, 2007 1:53 am

Heres how I bend my copper pipe. Its the 1/4 copper pipe with the 1/8th inside D.
Also, at the end where I say you can use a hole punch or 1/4 copper pipe, I meant (1/4 Stainless steel barstock) I got carried away lol :D
You'll see my bench got in the way there, but it doesn't matter, just be cool, bend it slow, and even. I didn't even feel any heat on that bar with those gloves at all, you have plenty of time.
Heres the vid, I hope it helps. (*might have to give it a sec for youtube to process it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2V3CFf7t2g

If your just doing a 90* bend. Simply put it in a vice, and heat the top and bottom of it, and pull down to start the bend. As you bend it, concentrate the heat along it slowly as you bend to control the arc distance you want the bend to travel. If its close to the end, simply use pliers :D Practice makes perfect my man, get to it :D
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Jim Berquist

bending tubing

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed May 02, 2007 2:59 am

Adam:

Here is a old Indian secret. HA! Just run a cable into the tube and it will not kink. A spring close to the inside diameter will do the same thing. This works good for 90* and 180* not so good on spiral wraps....

Check out Tools and Construction..

This is a old subject.

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewto ... g&start=15

I have used a old bicycle brake cable to bend before. It's a bit of a B*&% to get out some times , but will not kink.. if you chuck it into a cordless drill and twist it with the turn of the cable it comes out quit fast.

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

adam

Post by adam » Wed May 02, 2007 5:28 am

cool idea i will try it! kinda like a simple mandrel bend aww! thanks for the idea.

jmbarrio

pulse jet fogger example

Post by jmbarrio » Wed May 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi Adam Take a look to this link, it's a brazilian insect foggers manufacturer .

http://www.macter.com.br/espanhol/modelo2_esp/index.htm

If you watch the photos on the "manual" section you will see that diesel it's being inyected directly into the combustion chamber, and the engine is clearly a valveless that runs at the beging with propane.I think it uses the same system as your video. It starts on propane at a very little level, and then when diesel is inyected it starts running on diesel and makink a lot of fog.I will probably try this at home and if it works I will start building this kind of machines to sell them.See you...

Jim Berquist

Fogger

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed May 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Adam:

There you go! You can moonlight as a mosquito fogger!! Put it on a boat and run up and down Elephant Butte lake. You can shoot for a double record. Water Speed Record and Most Mosquito at the same time.. Keep a eye out for the Black and White Boat.......

Jim

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu May 03, 2007 2:18 pm

... All of the insect fogger I have seen has been diesel or kerosene with an added insecticide.

Jim Berquist

70 lber

Post by Jim Berquist » Thu May 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Hay!

If he could ignite the deisel vapor trail a half mile long, No insecticide required.....Kablooooooy! HA!

Jim

adam

Post by adam » Fri May 04, 2007 1:02 am

so let me see kerosene makes fog or smoke just as good as diesel?

tufty

Re: 70 lber

Post by tufty » Fri May 04, 2007 10:56 am

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote:Hay!

If he could ignite the deisel vapor trail a half mile long, No insecticide required.....Kablooooooy! HA!

Jim
The phrase "thermobaric weapon" springs to mind. The very concept of taking a high power density hydrocarbon fuel and vapourising it to make fog, using a device that operates at temperatures well above the flashpoint of said fuel, simply boggles the mind.

And yes, I know that's what dynafog machines use, more or less.

That said, if I'd known what the fogging agent was at the time I was using them, maybe I wouldn't have waved them around with such wild abandon.

Simon

Jim Berquist

Off Subject

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri May 04, 2007 2:31 pm

A friend at work told me a story one day.

It seems his mother set off three of those Roach Grenades in her house.

As recommended they left the house for the prescribed three hour time.

Not as prescribed, she failed to extinguish her stove pilot lights.

When they returned home , they noticed the front of the house didn't look so good. They found the roof at the front of the house was one and a half foot off the walls. The vapor had exploded. It took out the windows and raised the roof above the kitchen.

Not Good!!

Jim
Last edited by Jim Berquist on Fri May 04, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri May 04, 2007 5:23 pm

Yea with my chinese liquid carb experiments, if the fog is dense enough it can ignite immediately behind the engine, but only a few inches back, and the flame propogation stops at a point.

Beyond that point and its too thin to get ignition. The vapor cloud did scare the crap out of me though, when it first started up and was fogging like crazy I actually took off running because I was sure it was going to FAB on me.

I stayed way back, and to my dismay it ran perfectly fine until the tank emptied.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases