any body know cool things to do with a pulse jet?

Moderator: Mike Everman

adam
Antipspambot question: 0
Location: california is home town but currently in new mexico

any body know cool things to do with a pulse jet?

Post by adam » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:47 pm

does any body out there know any cool things to do with a pulse jet such as oil injection methods or devowering steel by sticking a steel rod down the intake, i seen it done with a steel rod straight down the tail pipe off a dyna jet on this forum, but i was wondering if you could do it with a tp 180 70 pulse jet, but i dont know if that big of an exhuast diameter would even notice a tiny steel rod in the intake and do any thing, in the video with the steel in the dyna jet it was pretty cool because it was shooting out all kinds of sparks and molted metal like a hundred miles an hour or somthin, does any body have any ideas of that nature with a pulse jet oh by the way im a pyro :) also will dumping a who bunch of oil in you combustion chamber before starting it, and then starting it shoot out a whole bunch of smoke or does it need to be vaporized before being injected for a smoke demonstration or something because i havent been to successful with the oil injection i made before to demonstrate how fast the gases are shooting out of the engine.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:59 am

If you stick it in the combustion chamber you should be able to melt steel, but it would make a hell of a mess of the inside of the engine.

Dynajet Jerry would probably be the forums oil injection expert, but when you have a ton of air flow you need a lot of oil to vaporize or it wont be visible.

To get an idea of how much liquid the 180-70 will gobble take a bucket of water and pour behind the engine when its running... Or point the engine downward at a pond or lake.... which there probably arent many of around you.

It would be interesting to try to feed the engine poping corn when its on low throttle and will suck things into the combustion chamber.... just watch when they shoot back out.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

adam

Post by adam » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:20 am

haha that would be cool , a big pulse jet popcorn maker, well hey eric if it would melt steel woulndnt the temps inside the engine melt too then? and how far would i have to stick it in the comustion chamber or do i stick it down into the intake?

adam

Post by adam » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:43 am

hey eric i just thought of something' instead of useing steel because you said it will probably get molten metal every where inside the engine, what if i used aluminum because for one it will melt easier and not stick so strong to the stainless steel if it melts on to it and also it is a flammable meltal and if you can get it to the right amount of heat and a small size it will mix with the oxygen as its being blown threw the air and light up nice what do you think? it might be an exajerated thought dont mind the spelling. or what if i used copper dou you think it would shoot out green sparks?

Rossco

Foriegn Objects

Post by Rossco » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:54 am

I tried popcorn... i think on Erics original suggestion? It doesnt work like you would hope.
Even at low throttle, they get sucked through and merely charred.
I got a grand total of two poped, whole pieces when a handfull was thrown into the CC before starting on several tries.

Oil... is a fuel. Injected into the cc correctly, and it will run on it, no smoke. Injected badly, and it will make exessive flame in the exhast and/or flame out. (then you get some smoke!)
But injected into the tail pipe!!! monster fogger!
Water is a better choice than oil here! Dont go messing with very large clouds of atomised flamibles, let alone the mess you will make (air included)
A steam cloud is just as impressive, safe and clean. It also condenses pretty quickly, so others cant track it back to its source.
I clouded my whole street doing this, couldnt see more than 2m.

If you have exesive oil, a good goal would be to make some real power from it, such as running in a ram style afterburner like Erics. We would all be very interested to see your efforts from this.

Copper into the intake of mine does make a nice green plume out the tail, allthough no sparks.

Steel, well, gets very hot!
Steel filings are the best for sparks, as most would know after starting a freshly built engine.
I have not noticed any deteriation to the innards of my engines putting everything from solid plastic to sand through them, although mine are built pretty tough (rough)!
After running one on anything and everything, i dissasembled it to find perfectly clean internals.

The imagination is the limit as to "cool things to do" with them. There is many more, and probably better suited applications than flight!

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

adam

Post by adam » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:23 am

hey rossco thanks for the helpful info, well that sucks that copper dont make sparks i thought that would be pretty cool. so you are saying that water injected into the exhuast would work just as good as oil for demonstrating how fast the gases are coming out of the engine and to see if you can make your whole neighbor hood barely visable with the smoke or steam should i say :P. well if i do the water injection, should i have it going through a copper tube that is wrapped around the u bend write before the divergent cone to pre heat the water or will the water in it allready super heat and vaporize just by injecting it into the combustion chamber, and also im guessing it should be injected right before the divergent exhuast cone so the air is shooting out faster at that part before the air is slowed down by the divergent nozzle?

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:26 pm

I wouldnt put any metal inside the engine. When the combustion chamber is hot, just about anything will fuse to it, including aluminum. That makes a hell of a mess and you wont be able to safely go behind the engine again because the aluminum will slowly melt and shoot out of the engine, and you definately dont want to get hit with 600 mph molten aluminum.

If you take a gallon of water and try pouring it immediately behind the engine, in the jet exhaust of the tail, you will get a very good idea of how fast the air is going.

With a 4.5 lb chinese I can pour water about 6" up the tail pipe, and the air flowing over the engine is going fast enough that the water curves back and never touches the tail.

Rossco did you ever get the video of the boat run? The weather is absolutely crazy here, we have had spring about 3 times this year, but now its back to snowing again. :(

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

adam

Post by adam » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:45 pm

hey eric thanks for the good tip on what you said about the moltet metal shooting out out 600 mph because i didnt even think of that and by the way i am always putting my hand behind the exhuast or stand behind it a distance too feel the gases rushing out of it, that would suck to get shot by the hot tracers :x . well any way im going to go ahead and try poring water by the exhaust on full throttle and see what happens, oh by the way it seems like air rushes faster out of the intake because its not going through a divergent duct should i try and squirt some there too?

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:12 pm

some sugestions of things to do with pulse-jets:

pushing something
bbq!
getting your annoying neighbours to move
redecorate your garden
flight http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/files/jetguy_115.jpg
BBQ!!
Quantify the world.

toakreon

Post by toakreon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:21 pm

BBQ?

Cook your sausage in 1.38 seconds ... ;)

John

larry cottrill

Cool Hot Applications

Post by larry cottrill » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:06 pm

How about rapid heating of a space? The pulsejet would be far better than any gas-powered device that throws out monoxide.

How about materials drying (such as grain drying bins)? Instead of a big fan that takes a lot of electricity, you could have a little pulsejet with a big augmentor to capture lots of air and slow down the flow into the bottom of the dryer, and it could run for hours on a portable cylinder of propane.

Insect foggers have been done, of course, using valved engines. I tried to drive moles out of the ground with pulsejet noise, but that proved futile even though the engine kept running fine with the tailpipe aimed down a mole hole. If I had applied poisonous material to the stream, it might have accomplished something, in a gruesome sort of way.

With bigger engines, you could do things like riot control. There's nothing like earaches and nausea to change your mind about performing some exciting act of violence.

I think one of the best applications, that I proposed years ago, was to use a pair of valveless pulsejets as a civil defense siren. A little clever design could make this work with no need for electric power at all. Similarly, they could replace the air horns at lighthouses, etc.

Dangerous driving due to morning fog? We ought to find out if pulsejets of a certain size range could cause fog droplets to aggregate and fall out as precipitation. Might be good at airports, military installations, sports stadia, or anywhere there's concentrated or high-risk traffic. Particularly, there are low-lying areas where fog is frequently a problem - equip such spots with a right-size propane powered pulsejet and clear the problem as soon as it starts to develop.

And, with the perfection of instant start/stop operation, a pulsejet organ for playing Bach fugues should be feasible. As usual, you're limited only by your imagination, really.

Oh, and don't forget about the possibility of some terrific audio/visual pulsejet outdoor artwork, as well.

L Cottrill

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:35 pm

The rapid and intense blasts of extremely hot air are excellent for cooking meat. The pressure waves tenderize the meat like you wouldnt believe and it will cook through and through without burning in about 30 seconds. The extreme heat of the exhaust combined with the rapid reversal to take in fresh cool air in the tail pipe is really quite impressive.

If you need to strip the paint off an entire car FAST, you could get a bag of sand blasting sand, and steadily pour it behind the exhaust :D

I feel bad for those poor moles! They probably didnt come running out because they were too buisy dropping dead from heart attacks.

Eric

toakreon

Post by toakreon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:57 pm

Eric wrote:The rapid and intense blasts of extremely hot air are excellent for cooking meat.
Now that's a good one.

Police Officer - Excuse me, Sir. We've had complaints about a horrendous, roaring noise coming from your back garden that can be heard at least two miles away.

Me - Oh? I'm sorry. I was just trying out a new design of propane powered, rapid-cook garden barbecue I'm trying to develop. I guess the sound issue needs to be addressed. It is a tad noisy ...

John

adam

Post by adam » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:13 pm

maybe you could make an automatic potato gun that shoots 40 potatos a second :) .what i thought about doing with a chinese was welding 3 long rod down off the back of the tail pipe and connecting to a small torch propane tank with a heat shield over it and adding some fin to the back and standing it up like a rocket and letting it go, it should go up wouldnt you think? if the chinese produces 20lbs thrust and the whole entire rig or (rocket) only weighs like 12 lbs, but it wouldnt go to outer space of course with out feeding it oxygen which would prabobly blow it to smitherines :D, but it would be pretty cool to see that thing fly straight up as high as it can go before it comes crashing back down to earth.

_Rahul_

Post by _Rahul_ » Sun May 13, 2007 6:51 pm

but it would be pretty cool to see that thing fly straight up as high as it can go before it comes crashing back down to earth.
and only GOD knows where it lands and what it hits! Pray while u see it comin' back to Earth!
I think you can be arrested for that .. a rocket fired somewhere in city .. a terrorist act!!
Plus I doubt a PJ can be a potato gun! A pj will need the disturbance-less way for the air/gas to move in and out quite rapidly .. although small things like iron filings, popcorn etc. wouldnt "choke" the engine but the potatoes would .. unless u have a bigger PJ so that potatoes are like iron filings for the smaller engines.

Well I had an application in mind and am saving it for the rainy days after this damn hot summer! It can be used to dry paints in industrial use during rainy days ( it rains heavily here and everything gets soggy! ) or when u need to deliver your product quick .. why wait for overnight to let the paint dry .. just start a Valveless and turn the tailpipe to the area where you wanna dry the paint. a holding equipment and a heat shielding ( for the operator ) can be added to .. and ofcourse a gud pair of "ear gaurds!" .. or a bigger PJ in a sound proof room for big industries ? Wot say? any takers?

Can it be used to clean snow off your driveway? * for those who live among snow .. I have never seen a snowfall though!

scaring crows in a field? scaring ur neighbours' cattle because they scat near ur door and "moo" everytime!!

burglar alarm? but you will need to automate the starting equipment! Okay .. how about a gadget with many small Pjs .. that raise an alarm and hits the burglar as well? a defense missile system for ur home!!

a pulseJet powered skateboard to school? no skateboards/ skateboarders in my country though! saw that in a movie .. although it was a gasturbine powered thing! ... although it wont work to produce enough thrust .. it can be a gud show off thing ..

It can be used to melt aluminium or metals with melting temperatures lower than SS .. in ur new home foundry .. if or when you wanna do some casting process .. u wont need expensive furnaces ( if they are expensive! ) .. and I think it can be easily designed to make mess-less equipment!

anybody tried it on wasps? there are lot around here! but it will be merciless act to kill those little monsters!

although I still wanna try it for the popcorn makin machine/ or make some new attachment for that .. but after my exams! They start two days from now!

As you guys said .. sky is the limit!
Can the sound waves from the PJ shatter glass? I might need one that size .. okay another application .. "sick of ur neighbour .. Avenge Thyself" !!
[url=callto://ralph_10019]Image[/url]