Big Lockwood starts by itself when cold

Moderator: Mike Everman

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:05 pm

bruce what country is it on this weekend ? and what time ?

Stephen

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:55 pm

It screens in the UK this weekend, the USA next month, and in NZ -- well goodness knows when.

Tom
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Tom » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:59 pm

i will be sure to tape it if i can, i am kinda busy this weekend, what with the reduced shakespeare company, a trip back to my old village and the realease of the worlds most advanced operating system (Mac OSX Panther :o), but i will try all the same. Hey Ken, what are the restrictions of uploading music for others to listen to while they browse? a big no-no right?
:o)
T.
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

marksteamnz

Re: Big Lockwood starts by itself when cold

Post by marksteamnz » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:25 am

Your mileage may differ.
Eons ago a warning went round the hot air ballooning scene that some dip tube tanks had little flow check valves fitted. Fine most of the time untill you really wanted to crank the burners wide open in a hurry due to the strangled cry of WIRES!! at which moment the little beasty thought, full flow = broken hose and shut the flow down. ARRGGH!!.
Apparently you can unscrew the tap on the empty tank and with a pair of needle nose pliers pull the little jiggers out and then beat on it with a ball peen hammer untill you get breathless.
So if you have unexplained power loss might be worth checking. Car LPG tanks in particular I believe have these little horrors.

Can't have a Pulse Jet powered land speed record breaker slowing in the flying kilometer

Bruce wrote: By the way, I notice now that the new 9Kg propane tanks have a little valve in them that shuts off the flow if you try to draw liquid from them by turning them upside down. Fortunately I now have a couple of 47Kg liquid-draw tanks -- should last about 10 minutes on this engine me thinks.
Cheers
Mark Stacey
www.cncprototyping.co.nz

Ray(in England)

Re: Big Locky starting

Post by Ray(in England) » Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:32 pm

Bruno,
When is the U.K. t.v. documentary on P.Js., then,please?.
It features Bruce, I presume.
Ray.

brunoogorelec wrote:Bruce,

Good stuff! Brings back the reasons why I got interested in pulsejets to start with, all those years ago.

The way the big 'un starts by itself is quite impressive. More proof of how important the boundary conditions are. Pulsejets obviously have to be BIG to work without fuss. The surface/volume ratio is very important. In small pulsejets, the processes in most of the volume are governed by boundary conditions, which makes functioning difficult.

I love this! Congratulations.

Looking forward to the Scrapyard Challenge and the pulsejet documentary.

Bruno