Lady Anne variation.

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

twin lady

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:43 pm

great job, James! this is what it's all about. I'd really like to see what SFC it has and compare to the horrible thermojet.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Jim Berquist

horrible thermojet?????????????????

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:42 am

I love the horrible thermojet that Eric made for me... I run it about once a week checking out what it will do....

As I am under threat of unemployment, I have been behind the curtin and shushed also in need of a real video camera!

The double input chines is most power full I grant!!!

Please don't give up on my Thermojet that Eric built just as yet!!!

Mine was built out of spects and still outputs 3.4 lb of thrust . .4 lb more then as advertised.

If things work out right ,,,I will Fly It!!!! Good Stuff from you Eric!!!!!

I only wish I could weld as clean as Eric dose!!!!

Jim

[/b]
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

James D

Post by James D » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:32 pm

Jim,
Mike wasn't insulting your pulsejet, I think he was referring to the fuel consumption of the production Thermojet (J-200?) The one which all pulsejets that look like Thermojets, look like ;-)

I've got to say I'm highly surprised that your thermojet makes 3.4lbs of thrust, Is that augmented? I thought Eric only claimed 2lbs from it.

James D

James D

Twin intake Lady Anne.

Post by James D » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:35 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:Are you willing & able to post a simple drawing of the final "as built" dimensions?

Here's a drawing, I was expecting to have to cut the intakes down but it ran so I left them, maybe it would work better if they were a couple of millimetres shorter.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Current Dimensions...Probably far from optimal.
(17.27 KiB) Downloaded 413 times

James D

Twin intake Lady Anne.

Post by James D » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:40 pm

I tried running it with some small radial drilled fuel nozzles, I was hoping they would give better mixing and less air entrainment. It still ran solidly but thrust was no better and it proved more difficult to start.
Attachments
RadialNozzle.jpg
The copper pipe is 4mm OD, to give an idea of scale.
RadialNozzle.jpg (31.34 KiB) Viewed 11950 times

Jim Berquist

thermojet

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:14 pm

James D:

No Insult taken,,, All are well in my books!!!!!!!

Yes Eric originally rated it at 3lb. 2 and some later! Propane...

With MAP gas I was able to lift 3.4 of water with it. Ran too hot for use , but it did it.

This is a most extraordinary engine of the most simplest design...

With the static stand that Eric provided, It weighs more then if set up for flight.

My statement was intended as " Don't give Up on the Thermojet"

No Animosities from this end.

As far as I am concerned we are all family here.......

I Really Need a Video Camra with sound!

Your little injector may be a anser to the questions I posted to Eric on his new little beast.....

Jim

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:58 pm

When I first made it I only expected it to put out about 2 lbs because of the intakes being smaller diameter, that just goes to show how you cant even expect a simple change in intake area to have a directly proportional response to engine performance.

Jim with mapp gas & water injection that would be one scary little engine!

James why dont you want air entrainment? Just want to see the base output the engine will produce? Do you have a lathe?

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Jim Berquist

little beast

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:26 pm

Just need to figure a way to make it mix,,,,,,,,,,

Jim

larry cottrill

Re: Twin intake Lady Anne.

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:46 pm

James D wrote:
Larry Cottrill wrote:Are you willing & able to post a simple drawing of the final "as built" dimensions?

Here's a drawing, I was expecting to have to cut the intakes down but it ran so I left them, maybe it would work better if they were a couple of millimetres shorter.
Thanks, James! yes, it's interesting that the intakes run that long - quite a bit of overlap onto the middle cone. Maybe because of internal temperature differences between this and your original model? Who knows ... ultimately you have to go with whatever works, and this certainly seems to work well!

Again, very nice, sir!

L Cottrill

Irvine.J

Twin Lady Anne Variation

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:42 am

What about something like this MR D?
Little Idea I had for something exactly like your situation, I think it will provide really good mixing and a little less entrainment.

Behold... THE SNAKESKIN INJECTOR! *Echo's 1295322 times*
Lol never tried it, but was on the cards for this lady anne I have here.

But hell give it a go will take 25 seconds to cut 4, then 6 groves with a hacksaw. Its quick and easy to try how many cuts your after. Let me know if you try it/ how it goes. The pipe shown is for 1/4 (1/8 ID ) copper tube. But even a much thinner tube should work well too.
Only cut deep enough to expose small holes in there. The angle they are on should provide a little entrainment but best of all slower gas speed into the cc, though the fuel is traveling in the direction you want. Goodluck. If you have any success let me know.
Attachments
jimbjector.JPG
jimbjector.JPG (14.22 KiB) Viewed 11770 times
James- Image KEEPING IT REAL SINCE 1982
http://pulseairdefence.com
[url=callto://project42labs]Image[/url]

Jim Berquist

injector

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:11 am

Irvine:

I too thought of using that set up on the little Thermojet that Eric built for me.

I was thinking of porting a intake just below the spark plug and setting a single injector.

Eric likes to entrain air for mixing and pull clean are into the C.C....

It premixes and provides fresh air into the C.C.

I like it too but would like to try on neat fuel and let the engine pull it's own air........

Neat fuel may require larger intakes!

The Thermojet has relatively small intakes compared to a chines or other valveless.....

That is what makes it unique from the others I think.

More out the tail pipe and oscillation is dirrected tward the tail end ??!!!!

What do you think??
Jim

Graham C. Williams

VIII

Post by Graham C. Williams » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:39 am

Dear James D.

Congratulations and as I said else ware, apologies for all the aggro with this design.

Two thoughts come to mind.
2 * 20mm induction pipes, you are correct in saying get you near to 28mm but only if you ignore boundary layer effects. I wonder what would happen if you mounted a third induction pipe of the some size and diameter (and in the same location along the pipe) between the two you already have? Then with a collection of different diameter Chokes for this third intake see if there is any more thrust to be had?

What do you think produced the 370Hz operating frequency? Could it be the location of the induction pipe or its length? A little extra thrust my be had (or may not) by looking for that higher frequency.

That’s enough of my speculations.
Again, a great job.

Graham.

Larry, I bet you had a grin a mile long?
Dark days nurture new
light. Productions begin.
Now open your eyes.

James D

Twin Lady Anne

Post by James D » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi Graham

I might make another Lady Anne with slightly bigger intakes at some point, what size would you suggest? I think maybe 22mm, if it doesn't run at that I can always just taper them down toward 20mm over the length of the straight section. I've been meaning to try a normal FWE with a heavily tapered intake to see how it behaves, say 25mm at the combustion chamber down to 20mm just before the flare.

I'm not really sure what caused the 370hz, probably a combination of things, the induction pipe was shorter and slightly further back (toward the tailpipe) but the position of the open ends was only 5mm different (shorter).
I changed it because I felt that the incoming air was colliding together at too sharp an angle and not moving deep enough into the combustion chamber.

I might try shortening the intakes slightly this weekend and see if that makes much difference.

James D

James D

Post by James D » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Eye candy...
Attachments
TwinLady090307-031Small.jpg
Heat pattern.
TwinLady090307-031Small.jpg (16.89 KiB) Viewed 11516 times

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:21 pm

I don't know why I love that color so much, but I do!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.