Picasso-Kent PJ new design by Hagen

Moderator: Mike Everman

hagent
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by hagent » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:11 am

Hello everyone.

I'm almost done welding up my latest PJ. The idea came about looking at Mikes Mini Kent PJ. I of course have a twisted imagination and therefore came up with this design.

It has 5 intakes. 4 smaller in length and one concentric intake that is aproximately twice as long plus %30 percent. The 30% extra was my attempt at guessing the concentric intake air/fuel temperature and compensating for the faster wave travel.

So the 4 intakes should opperate at twice the frequency of the concentric intake. Fuel will be injected at three locations around the concentric intake about 1/4" from the slight flare. I'm hoping that this will entrain air and pre-mix the fuel and raise the fuel/air temp before a final mixing in the CC.

I gass welded (acetylene/Oxygen) all parts. The CC is 304 stainless the concentric intake is 304 and the small intakes are mild steel and the exuast is mild steel.

Here are a couple of concept renderings of my new engine. I used 1.5" OD car exhaust tubing for the tail pipe.

I hope to finish welding tomorrow and maybe I'll get a chance to start it up!

Cheers!
Attachments
Hagen Mkent 01.jpg
Hagen Mkent 01.jpg (12.11 KiB) Viewed 11745 times
Hagen Mkent 02.jpg
Hagen Mkent 02.jpg (10.1 KiB) Viewed 11744 times
Hagen Tannberg

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:22 am

I wanna make one that looks like a squid, then I could call it squiddy!!!

Does the red pipe extend inside the cc or does it connect with the purple pipe (think I got the colors correct cant see the pic while writing this)?
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

Zippiot

Post by Zippiot » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:22 am

green pipe! not red
Sailing Student- How do I know if my life jacket is tight enough?
Me- Can you breathe?
Sailing Student- Yes
Me- Then its too loose!

hagent

Post by hagent » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:42 am

Zippiot wrote:I wanna make one that looks like a squid, then I could call it squiddy!!!

Does the red pipe extend inside the cc or does it connect with the purple pipe (think I got the colors correct cant see the pic while writing this)?
The green and purple pipes are even and do not extend into the CC.
Hagen Tannberg

hagent

Post by hagent » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:47 am

Here is a picture of the Intake plate and CC before welding.
Attachments
Intake 01-L.jpg
(122.6 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
Hagen Tannberg

hagent

Post by hagent » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:01 am

Some more construction photos.
Attachments
C-Intake 03.jpg
Large intake all welded up.
C-Intake 03.jpg (117.66 KiB) Viewed 11721 times
C-Intake 02.jpg
Large intake tack welded.
C-Intake 02.jpg (98.35 KiB) Viewed 11724 times
C-intake 01.jpg
Large intake and end cap of CC before welding. Both made from 304 SS
(97.88 KiB) Downloaded 707 times
Hagen Tannberg

hagent

Post by hagent » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:59 am

More photos.

Spark plug from Eric's house of Pulse Jets. Or was that Eric's space heaters for the deaf? I can't remember.

I'm sure you have all noticed how black the areas around the welds are. That's because of the flux and the carborizing flame necessary to gas weld stainless steel. I hope it all burns off on the first run:)
Attachments
C and I.jpg
Intake and CC before welding.
(139.79 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
C-Intake 04.jpg
All 5 intakes welded to CC end plate
(129.29 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Hagen Tannberg

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Very neat! If you have a brass bristle brush, you can get them in harbor freight, just give it a good brushing before the weld has cooled below 200-150 degrees.

If you do it then its fairly easy to brush off, but if you wait until its totally cool it can become damn near impossible to brush off by hand. The brush is soft enough not to scratch the hell out of the stainless and will do a nice job when its still warm.

Either way the engine will get pretty hot and all turn black after a while anyway :)

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

hagent

Slowly getting there.

Post by hagent » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:11 am

All my time got sucked up on Sunday shoping for windows at home depot.

So tonight I was able to weld the mild steel exhaust to the stainless steel intake by using 308 welding rod as anchors. It was a pain to get it to weld to the exhaust so I hope it will last for awhile.

The picts don't look too pretty. Not like yours Larry.

I'm hoping on going to the Camerillo airfield in Ventura county CA this Saturday with some people from work to run all my PJs.

Cheers,
Attachments
Intake and Exhaust.jpg
The fuel lines all 3 of them will enter this concentric intake. The fuel lines will only be about 1/2 inside the intake.
Intake and Exhaust.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 11618 times
Intake and Exhaust 02.jpg
Looks like hell.
(215.49 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
Hagen Tannberg

hagent

Post by hagent » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:00 am

Almost done!

The wify let me play with my torch in the garage tonight. I only need to make the intake extensions with flare, they will alow me to adjust the intake length.

I had real fun making the 3 tube fuel lines. I ended up brazing them onto the end of an air hose connector. It's amazing how easy the brass just disentigrated. I had to redo it once.

Here are some pictures.

Can't wait to try it out!

Cheers.
Attachments
Almost Done.jpg
Just need the intake extensions with flares.
Almost Done.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 11549 times
Fuel setup.jpg
This was brazed.
Fuel setup.jpg (92.81 KiB) Viewed 11550 times
Hagen Tannberg

larry cottrill

Re: Picasso-Kent PJ new design by Hagen

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:16 pm

hagent wrote:Almost done!

The wify let me play with my torch in the garage tonight. I only need to make the intake extensions with flare, they will alow me to adjust the intake length.
Beautiful, Hagen! I hope this works well for you.
I had real fun making the 3 tube fuel lines. I ended up brazing them onto the end of an air hose connector. It's amazing how easy the brass just disentigrated. I had to redo it once.
If you're going to braze, get copper tubing - it should stay solid even as the brazing rod melts onto it. I'm no expert on brazing, but my dad used to do a lot of it, and really preferred it to welding for a lot of things.

L Cottrill

hagent

Brass / Copper

Post by hagent » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 pm

Great idea larry.

I think i might just have some around.....

Right now the connector appears to be air tight. I won't know till I hook it up to propane under some serious presure.

I guess I should hook it up to my air hose and see if I blow the seal...

Thanks!
Hagen Tannberg

Irvine.J

Brass/copper

Post by Irvine.J » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:05 am

G'day Hagent. I silver braze all my fuel lines. If you have a burnzomatic torch and a bunch of air hose connectiongs the whole process is really simple. Simply some silver solder sticks (Which can be very cheap or very expensive.) I use the cheap stuff and it still rocks! I actually put my copper line into the 1/4 inch air hose fittings, that would normally click into an air hose changing thing. The threads screw easily into any primus gas line.

The only thing you should remember is to use your flux, and make sure its sealed tightly because it dries very quickly. Flux will help it bond to other metals like I bonded my copper lines to the steel poles on my test stands. Its very easy to use.

Another thing to remember when brazing, is to try your best to keep the fitting your brazing away from a big heat sink like a vice. Clamp it in the vice so that 90% of the airhose fitting and 100% of the copper pipe is freely in the air, on a slight angle so the melting silver will flow into the gap. (Only needs a tiny angle). Heat up the fitting with the copper tube in place and you'll notice the flux bubbles, but also gets very sticky to help hold the tube in place. Take your silver stick, after about 10 seconds of gently waving the flame on the fitting and tube. (Wave it slowly till the whole area your going to put flux on is RED HOT) Then gently dab the end of the silver solder on. If it doesn't melt straight away, keep heating and gently dabing (you can heat the silver stick up a bit whilst holding it on the fitting and it might just start flowing. All of a sudden it will flow like syrip and completely fill the cavity, gently move the stick around, and whallah. VERY strong seal, I've never had any leakage even in extremely high pressure lines. Its actually MUCH harder to drill then the copper itself.

Its really very easy, and if you practice it once or twice, you'll nail it every time. Just remember to not to entirely clamp it in the vice or it simply will not get hot enough as all the heat goes into the vice and the attachment wont get red hot at all.

hagent

Brass / Copper

Post by hagent » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:29 am

Thanks Irvine for the info.

In the pictue above I used my acyetelen / oxy gas welder setup. I had to be real careful not to melt the brass fitting. I was holding the flame like 12" away form the part.

I used silver brazing solder the not so cheap one from home depot. It has the blue flux around the stick. I might just have to go back to the welding supply store and get me some wipe on flux and cheap silver brazing rod. The other stuff was like 6 bucks for about two 18" sticks.

Thanks again.
Hagen Tannberg

hagent

Post by hagent » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:56 am

Well it's DONE!

haven't tryed it yet. May have to wait till Saturday. I really have a burning desire to put some ethanol in the CC and see what happens.

Here are some more pictures.

One is with the extensions. They are a little large on the diameter, but the closest I could find to fit.

The other pictures are of a new injector that I thought of today. It's plain old copper tubing that has been pinched at one end (hammered) and then with a dremel cutting wheel I cut into the metal until a small opening emerged. I did this on both sides of the pinch. I then did another pinch about 1/2 an inch away at 90 degrees to the first, but did not pinch it all the way. I was hoping for a bulge that would allow me to cut away enough material to get an angle of around 45 degrees to the intake flow. It came out quite nice and I will try it on Saturday with Bills PJ design. I wonder if I will get better results than my concentric fuel feed. I also have to make Bills injector per spec and try that too.

Well I can't wait for Saturday!

Cheers.
Attachments
Side injector 02.jpg
Not sure why I missed this one.
Side injector 02.jpg (73.9 KiB) Viewed 11397 times
Side injector.jpg
Two pinches at 90 deg apart.
Side injector.jpg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
Side injector.jpg
You can see the front and side fuel holes.
Side injector.jpg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
Front injector.jpg
Two holes in the front. This only took about 10 mins to make:)
(166.46 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
With intake extensions.jpg
Finished PJ with extensions. Has not yet run.
With intake extensions.jpg (150.15 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
Hagen Tannberg