k1 jam jar?

Moderator: Mike Everman

redneck

k1 jam jar?

Post by redneck » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:36 am

anybody tried keroseen jam jar? i just got high on lots of fumes, loss some hair and bout scared myself todeath. when i started seeing pink elephants i decided to quit. i got a reg smuckers jar, hit the lid with a screwdriver, and all it wants to do is blow the lid off. at least it tries too. what should i do? besieds stop sniffing the stuff and open a window? lol
hooowee that was loud! do it again!

mk
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by mk » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:56 am

The metal jam jar experiments (click on the light blue coloured text before the brackets to follow the link) topic contains some information and experimental outcome of Reynst combustors running on longer-chained hydro-carbon fuels.

Be aware that it is most favourable not to use glass jars anymore. Instead switch to metal ones. However, this does not mean that a glass jar could not be made working on petrol or kerosene though.
Last edited by mk on Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mk

redneck

Post by redneck » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:00 am

well being scared of shrapnel as i was i placed the jar in a large cooking pot and stood behind a plywood board. i think im safe enough. where is this link though?

larry cottrill

Re-size Your Port

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:26 pm

redneck -

If you're blowing the lid off, there is basically one reason: your port is too small. Drill it out, and make sure you have a clean-edged hole. If you're using the regular small-size Smucker's jar, start with about a 5/16 inch hole, clean-edged. That may not be exactly right for something like kerosene, but should be a good place to start at and work out from. I've only done them with methanol and isopropyl alcohol, myself.

L Cottrill

Mark

Reynst Jar

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:14 pm

We should have that 2 pages of Reynst that outline his jam jar technique as a FAQ. It has a sketch of the jar and the little details, but I don't know what could be simpler than drilling one hole and following his directions.
Basically methanol is what you want for beginners. Then the hole should be about 1/5 the diameter of the lid he says. Only use enough methanol to cover the bottom of the jar. Shake the jar with your finger over the lid. The lid should be air tight. Very important, dry the lid after you remove your finger. Burn or frost your finger a few times or at least once, this will help you remember not to do it again.
Jam jars are a lot of bang for the buck. If you use canning jars you can drill several lids and try which hole works best. You can buy them in a stack like poker chips. In winter you might want a slightly larger hole, jam jars tend to run with more kick/pep in cold weather.
If you are desperate, I found a lid that is already drilled. ha
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/h ... nning1.jpg
http://www.cdwood.com/browse.asp?catid=191
http://tinyurl.com/rjg5v
Presentation is Everything

redneck

Post by redneck » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:12 am

well guys i was about to become convinced a jam jar couldnt be constructed using kerosene. i started off with a regularsmuckers apple jelly jar and a very small nail hole in the lid. couldnt get it to go. i made the hole bigger little bit by little bit each time never getting it to run. finally i took the lid off and the flame traveled all the way down to the fuel then extinguished. i figured the hole should be a bit smaller than the actual diameter of the jar in this case. so i continued to open the hole more and more until there really isnt much more left of the lid. i then found a different jar, one of my wifes empty sobe glass drinks.... green tea or something like that. put fuel in it and a hole in the lid. i made the hole larger and larger again until it is a bit smaller than half the size of the lid. i put jb weld on the lid and smashed a washer ontop to provide a good shaped hole. i can get it to run for a few seconds after shaking it really hard but when the flame hits the fuel it goes out when all the vapors are burned. what is going wrong here? it is like the fuel wont heat enough to vaporize. should i add a wick to the bottom?

redneck

Post by redneck » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:49 am

i put some propane fumes in it and shook it up and it startes much easier. however i still have the same problem. usually though it just produces a small dime sized flame in the hole and stayes there floating in this eary blue gloe, not even making a woosh as it burnes.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:56 am

The fuel/air ratio is much more critical with kerosene than with methanol. Why not try methanol first if you haven't and then boldly go where few have gone. If you want to really go to extremes, try some powdered charcoal, some air float as fine as talc powder. Shake the jar to stir up the dust and then hope for the best. ha
I've done the flour in a coffee can with plastic lid. Punch a small hole near the bottom and light the dust.
Reynst ran some of his engines on coal dust I believe.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

redneck

Post by redneck » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:01 am

i just droped a tampon in my jar. i was hoping it would act as a wick or something to produce fumes more easily. didnt work. i feel like i have degraded my jam jar! lol.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:30 am

redneck wrote:i just droped a tampon in my jar. i was hoping it would act as a wick or something to produce fumes more easily. didnt work. i feel like i have degraded my jam jar! lol.
Not at all, you've made sure it can play tennis or go swimming without embarassing itself! ha ha
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

redneck

Post by redneck » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:57 am

lol well at least it wasnt flamin ;) lol

redneck

Post by redneck » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:11 am

well maybe that didnt make any sense but my wife called the jar, " cute " i was insulted.,