Little Logan sounds

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:51 am

Pardon, it was calcium hypochlorite and sulfur that I lit off in Homestead Junior High School, and no it was not in class but outside the building, I was just fascinated how it would ignite with a drop of water or spontaneously in the humid air of the greater Miami area. For initially, I showed my brother the mix and oddly, just as he unscrewed the lid it ignited, flashing in front of him, luckily he was wearing his glasses. He put a wet wash cloth over his face, he was unharmed for the most part, I can remember him saying, "Very funny Mark". This was before I found out how unstable the mix was. Funny, just imagine unscrewing a lid off of a sulfur bottle and looking at the mixture briefly and then a flash of red light as it ignites in a poof of red fire.
Mark

mk
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by mk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:06 pm

...this won't be very funny at all...but could be something for jac*ass...hm...

Another thing:
I plan building a new small Logan out of steel pipes I have in stuff. But therefor I'll have to multiply it by the factor 1.58.
Wouldn't it be better just multiplying the diameters and leaving the lengths as they are at Mark's small engine? Any suggestions?
And has somebody some information about Logan type engines?
mk

Mark

Valved or valveless interchangeable design

Post by Mark » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:09 pm

mk wrote:...this won't be very funny at all...but could be something for jac*ass...hm...

Another thing:
I plan building a new small Logan out of steel pipes I have in stuff. But therefor I'll have to multiply it by the factor 1.58.
Wouldn't it be better just multiplying the diameters and leaving the lengths as they are at Mark's small engine? Any suggestions?
And has somebody some information about Logan type engines?
I have another "Logan" I made long ago, originally it was just a valved pulsejet, it is 1 1/4 inch pipe necking down to some 3/4 inch pipe. The whole thing is about 20 inches long. I used a 2 inch long, 1/4 inch pipe and thread for the side port, this way you can interchange a spark plug for a piece of 1/4 inch pipe if you like, the threads match. I put/screwed a small bell at the end of the 3/4 inch diameter tail too, to act as a flare. It's a 3/4 X 1 inch flare.
Now this is a really half ass Logan yet it will rev up loudly on a cool day too. It's really not so critical if you just fiddle around and eyeball it.
With a spark plug screwed in the side instead of a 1/4 inch pipe, you can make a typical pulsejet by using a bell intake and making a reed for the head, instead of a 1 1/4 inch cap on the combustion chamber.
I used an air compressor and methanol to spray fuel in the side port as a Logan, I remember it made a deafening sound and an very long tail of fire. A huge waste of methanol too.
Mark

mk
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by mk » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:08 pm

Thanks, Mark!

With this information I should get at least a "piped" Logan running.
mk