Spherical Combustion Chamber

Moderator: Mike Everman

Dave_G
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: Spherical Combustion Chamber

Post by Dave_G » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:30 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Too short, but I'll have to remember that one for other things. I want to map the entire length of the motor from up the tail, so need more than a metre. I'm thinking multi-walls and water or air cooling, but want to keep it small diameter. Hmmm, not super easy, to be sure.
Mike,

Sorry. I assumed you were talking about cross-sectional mapping of the combustion chamber.

Dave

Mike Everman

re: Spherical Combustion Chamber

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:40 pm

Um, sure, since I'm dreaming...
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:08 am

[quote="Dave_G"]
As long as the tailpipe is, I find it odd that they didn't give it a slight curve so that the thrust vectors from both inlet and exhaust were parallel. The longitudinal axis of the inlet is angled nearly 20 degrees with respect to the axis of the exhaust.

Seems like the side port should tolerate a little curvature to throw the air in the same direction as the main exhaust. Still, a sphere is not the streamline missile one might hope for.
But on another level, I like the sphere very much. There are so many of them in the universe. I wonder what kind of erratic behavior such a pulsejet would have if given a self-contained fuel tank, how it would spin or jet about? Also, those were good pictures you dug up Dave of the previous posting of this engine.
Good work Mr. B. - very artistic stuff, a fair bit of talent.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:25 am

Help to the challenged here!

What keeps it Humming? The intake looks to be at least twice the tail pipes entry!. What keeps it from porting out of the air intake as much or more then the tail pipe. Shock wave and a low resident freq of same? The tail pipe seems a bit on the long side. The traveling wave is slow and long, keeps the a vacuum on the cc longer then a cylinder type combustion chamber?

Spherical shaped CC seem smart as the combustion could be much more complete in Swirling situation!. Daaa! answered my own question! Fuel , And Air intake Set up a Swirling motion.. Out put is at the end of the cycle..Vacuum from Residence down the tail pipe draws in the fresh Air and Boom!!! Again!!!!!! The intake still looks to large to me, But it's doing the thing....

Jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Dave_G

Post by Dave_G » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:41 am

[quote="Mark
Seems like the side port should tolerate a little curvature to throw the air in the same direction as the main exhaust. [/quote]

Good point, Mark. I would think it (a bent or curved inlet) would work as well on this engine as it does on the Chinese. A Chinese with a spherical combustor?

In fact, why not offset the inlet and exhaust axes off centerline a little bit and then make them both straight and parallel?

I have two, large hemispherical Stainless Steel salad bowls that I picked up somewhere for about 3 bucks each, several years ago when I thought they might make a cool pulsejet. They're over 12 inches in diameter. I have a feeling that it wouldn't be the most efficient motor, but certainly easy to build. Maybe I'll give it a try...Could win an Ugly Contest in an Art Fair somewhere or something...Actually the behavior (good, bad or different) of an engine with that combustor aspect ratio as compared to a straight, cylindrical combustor is what interests me more than anything...

Heath Daily

Post by Heath Daily » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:30 am

Hollow stainless (304) balls in 1.5 to 6" If you get the catalog, they show up to 12" diameter.

http://www.thomasregister.com/olc/Smart ... idth=99%25

Same company also makes hemishperes which I'm using for a lockwood in plain steel. They're 10 gauge steel. The stainless is 11 gauge

Maybe this'd be cool for a side entry intake? Like the swirling air concept Bruno and Al Belli were messing with? Just a thought.

Mr.B

Post by Mr.B » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:09 pm

The sphere is an old DDR portable compressor tank (0.8 mm Stainless)
Here are my dimensions
Attachments
pulslarger.JPG
(34.73 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:35 pm

Ive got one of these spheres too.

Im just busting to do something with it. Any ideas?
I would want to utalize the shape for a spacific purpose tho, spinning, mixing or focusing accoustic energy/air/heat.
I need some theorys to aim for, not just for the sake of making it glow red.

Who wants something done with one of these. Speak up now.

Rossco

PS, yes i am still here, and active in the field. Just watching from my little corner for a bit.
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

leo

Post by leo » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:59 am

Maybe this is something to build?.

Spherical pulsejet