New and Improved Lady Anne

Moderator: Mike Everman

Irvine.J
Antipspambot question: 0

Lady anne Mk VII

Post by Irvine.J » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:37 am

When it's pulsing and you kill the air, does it stop immediately, or can you hear it sort of "fade", even if very quickly?
I think its fading to black, only because as I'm coming down more and more off the airflow, there is quite a drop in flow, but it takes a second or two to catch up with it. I'm not sure, but I'll will surely keep a watchful "ear" on that one next time. I decided to leave it for just a little bit, and will have another go with some plasticine formed into a greater inlet flare I've just finished. It might melt quickly, but should give me enough time to work out if its going to work or not.

I'll set my air pressure regulator, (as I can set the working pressure before it reaches the blowgun) quite low and leave the blowgun full on, simply, turning the valve will give me very accurate changes in pressure, and I wont need worry about squeezing a touchy trigger. Then slowly turn the regulator and feel for a good starting air pressure. Gimme another hour or so I'll see if I can't get this baby to fire up. I wont be using the exhaust extention at this stage.

The intake length is to larrys specs, but if this flare idea works out eric it does leave me some room to cut it back, its currently at 111mm long at the top befor the angle down curve. The fuel line is straight off the gas tank, no regulator, to a slightly pinched nozzle.

Irvine.J

Lady anne Mk VII

Post by Irvine.J » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:13 am

Air regulator setup and flare. Also the fuel spout location slightly behind the straight point where the ID becomes straight. (The end of the flare).

Notice the pressure indicators, the one on the right sets your "Working Pressure" the one on the left is your tank pressure. I can set the working pressure very accurately now simply by turning the red valve.
Attachments
anne 025.jpg
(445.6 KiB) Downloaded 658 times
anne 026.jpg
(466.54 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
anne 027.jpg
(448.05 KiB) Downloaded 676 times

Irvine.J

Lady anne Mk VII- YYYYYAAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Post by Irvine.J » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:36 am

OMG THAT WAS SOME LOUD ACTION RIGHT THERE!
OK, so I never got a chance to fully turn down the airflow before my dad came screaming down the stairs yelling "TURN IT OFF TURN IT OFF!!!!!!!"

AHAHHAHAAH I got the perfect sounding reciprication at about 28 psi on the airflow, and just slowly worked the gas up and down till i found the right spot. I started to work down the air and it didn't change its frequency, MY DAMN VIDEO RECORDER DIDN"T GET IT BUT I"LL GET A NEW VIDEO RECORDER TONIGHT AND DO ANOTHER TEST TOMORROW OR MONDAY (Or as soon as my father gets off my back about blowing up the house.)

I managed to work the air pressure down to about 15psi or there abouts before my dad interupted me but I think we might be go... I wont count my dinosaurs before they hatch, but I hold high hopes for it. It was sustaining a very high frequency without dipping or dropping out as I slowly changed the airflow. I honestly think larry your starting air tube is good, you just need to be able to slowly dip it out as you would if doing it by hand. In my case, the regulator turn vavle.

Larry I think we are in the ballpark here, the bangs shoved the test stand foward was just a indication of the power we might see, now its recipricating nicely I think its going to go GREAT.

You get a really good air pressure control if you clamp down your airgun and simply work the regulator valve. I simply silver soldered one of the attachments from the end of the airgun onto the tube as you can see in the photo.

MY STUPID DAD AND STUPID CAMERA! I need to move out AGAIN! Anyway, I'm absolutely stoked, that sounded sooo good larry, I think I may be able to work the airflow slowly down to nothing, and I think it all rested on that flare. So what does this mean?

Irvine.J

Lady anne Mk VII

Post by Irvine.J » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:08 am

I got the my brothers camera now, so stay tuned, unfortunately tomorrow is sunday so I wont be able to test then, but monday, I'll start bright and early, I can just feel it, its going to work just fine, cross your fingers.

James D

Lady Anne

Post by James D » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Looks great James,
the first Lady Anne was quite sensitive to fuel pipe position, preferring it approximately where the cut/bend is in the intake.

Is this the first pulse jet you've run? If so it might be worth trying the normal FWE you built first, that one should start real easy and might give you a better idea of the required fuel pressures, etc.

The only other thing I would suggest is soldering a some smaller diameter copper tube on the end of your fuel line, it looks like yours takes up quite a bit of the intake area.
The last picture you posted looks great though, most of the heat seems to have been in the combustion chamber.

Irvine.J

Lady anne Mk VII

Post by Irvine.J » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Yeah I have run a smaller FWE like the new one I just made but I'm keeping that one for another purpose (Possibly a PJ RAM) who knows ;-). Anyway, I have a new 3.7kg tank here and I'm not used to the fuel valve on it. What I thought was quite a bit of fuel actually wasn't as much as I expected it to be. (My small tanks I ran the ramjets one are very touchy) this new tank seems to be fairly precise, and needs a few good turns to open it up to the point it really started humming.

I should say, that when it was going properly on the forced air, it was NOT a grumble, it was the proper high pitched super whine of the PJ. Taking erics advice I needed to up the fuel ante a bit to get it going, but it sure was very loud. I wish I got it on video, on monday (which is about 24 hours away for me) you'll be able to see it all for yourselves, man I can't wait. All I have to do is get it the same as it was before and keep turning a valve, Its driving me nuts I can't just do it RIGHT NOW!!!!! GARRRR

larry cottrill

Re: Lady anne Mk VII- YYYYYAAAAAAAHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Post by larry cottrill » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:22 pm

Irvine.J wrote:Larry I think we are in the ballpark here, the bangs shoved the test stand foward was just a indication of the power we might see, now its recipricating nicely I think its going to go GREAT.
Yes, I think so!
You get a really good air pressure control if you clamp down your airgun and simply work the regulator valve. I simply silver soldered one of the attachments from the end of the airgun onto the tube as you can see in the photo.
Sounds like a good method. With your arrangement, it probably WILL be a lot less pressure than what I use - because you don't have the big pressure drop through a tiny nozzle. Anyway, whatever works, that's what you do.
Larry, I think I may be able to work the airflow slowly down to nothing, and I think it all rested on that flare. So what does this mean?
Many seem very sure that you have to "ease off" the air to get a good start, but I have never found that tp be the case, once I got the right values of air and fuel flow. Of course, all my previous successes have been with straight tailpipe engines, which are probably more forgiving of vatiations. What typically happens, on an engine where I already know what air level to set, is this:

I start the spark running, then trigger the air and hold it on. I run up the fuel flow until the engine is cycling well, then add just a bit more, then kill the air. The power immediately drops slightly, but now can be throttled up a little before killing the spark. That's all there is to it, really.

The problem with starting is that you can't instantly change the fuel flow when you cut the starting air. So, what you have to establish is an air flow, including entrained air, that is VERY close to what the engine is able to pull by itself at the very same fuel level. Of course, this assumes that the engine is correctly tuned to run. But thinking about this, I think you can see what a delicate balance this is. The air you're forcing in has to be instantly replaced by the right amount of free-flowing air. Of course, it can be off slightly - but it has to be right within a very narrow range. There will always be some change in the balance of fuel and air when you cut the forced air off, and for me this seems to play out as a drop in power at that moment.

This is why the big mistake is overwhelming the engine with air. It causes you to supply a level of fuel that can't possibly be right for the first cycle of the engine suddenly pulling on its own. Of course, with an experimental design you have another problem, too: The engine may be out of tune enough that it REQUIRES some ram air to run! That's why you still end up playing with the lengths of things, even though the non-sustaining operation might sound awfully good.

The most likely error in this design would be the length of the tail cone, simply because I don't have the kind of experience that tells me what the real gas temps should look like. The reason I asked about the pulsing operation "fading" after quickly cutting the air is that I have seen rapid fading away in the case of an engine being a little too long. In my experience, a too short engine won't do this. If the body is just a little too long, a slight lengthening of the intake should bring it in. Lengthening the intake should be done very gradually - one mm longer there is equivalent to about 3 mm shorter at the tail end!

(Sermon follows) James, "honor your father and mother" (I know it can be hard to do!), and be of good cheer - I have never yet met anyone (face to face, I mean) who isn't doing this who really understands why anyone would ever want to do it! My dad was just about gone before I understood how much I had learned from him and how much his life had benefitted me and how much he had to do with me being what I am. (End of sermon.)

Good luck! It will work if you work at it, mate!

L Cottrill

Jim Berquist

More Air

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:15 am

Larrey:

Just for shits and grins; On the engine that Eriic made for me He started it as a four input......

Do you think I could bastardize it and add a intake at the top? Like your engine from the top...Keep the fuel intakes within the side ports and just have a snorkle on the top .....

jim
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Irvine.J

Lady anne Mk VII

Post by Irvine.J » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:57 am

Hmm this is getting to be a little tougher then expected. For some reason, it really only wants to start humming at nearly 60psi now. Anything less then that only gives the half cocked sound. Heres a small video of what I mean.

Also, It turns out once it started going in high pitched mode, the plasticine inlet flare was half sucked into the inlet totally distabilising the flow, I figure this could have instantly causing me a great deal of problems, so have just finished making a water putty one and am leaving it to dry for 5 minutes. Though I think this will be a good indication of whats going on in the video.

It seems like it wants a fair amount of fuel and even greater amounts of air, but I might have been wrong about it fading. It seems it wants to just die, when it sucked in the foil I wanted to check if they were going to start a fire, impressive the velocity it came flying off there. Anyway, I want to try again with my new inlet flare, I think as soon as it gets going the plasticing was sucked in and getting in the way, but not totally sure yet. What should I do next larry, cut the intake pipe back a bit, or add a longer tailpiece? Still 60psi seems way too high to get it humming like that.
Attachments
highpsi.mov
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 312 times

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:33 am

You almost had it going, though it still doesnt seem to be getting enough fuel, you should be able to get the thing glowing orange even if it only runs on compressed air.

The intake did look a little to long to me, and sounds like its too choked, reducing the length can help unplug it, but I would play with the fueling more.

Are you running it unregulated with just the propane tank valve?

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Irvine.J

Lady anne Mk VII- Sooo close!

Post by Irvine.J » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:33 am

EVEN CLOSER
I now realise its closer to smack on 45 psi, its hard to keep a track of 15 things at once. Anyway, a change of about 5/10 psi brings it back to 50.cal machine gun mode. The new inlet flare made a world of difference. Maybe I should move the starting air tube back a bit or open it up a bit, maybe make the fuel pipe a straight pipe. I don't know, something is going on with the air that is hard to pick. It just doesn't seem to be getting enough of it when you turn off the forced air even a bit. Anyway, this is it roaring away at 40/45 psi.
Attachments
nearly2.mov
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 296 times
Last edited by Irvine.J on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Irvine.J

Lady anne Mk VII

Post by Irvine.J » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:34 am

Yeah totally unregulated, just straight from the tank to the slightly pinched nozzle.
Attachments
scope.JPG
(78.84 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Last edited by Irvine.J on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:42 am

Ok try that again, let it run like that on compressed air and let it fully warm up, then turn the fuel back to about 3/4 and then if that doesnt work 1/2 of where you had it, and then slowly turn off the compressed air.

If theres a problem it may run at 3/4 or half power once you get it going, easier than it will at max, cause at max there is very little margin for error.

Also letting it fully warm up will help things.

Oh yea you might want to get a cheapy regulator to add to the base of the compressor so you dont kill the compressor regulator. They arent made for the riggors of constant adjustment for pulsejets.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

larry cottrill

What - No Subject?

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:55 am

James -

Try to find the lowest volumes of air and fuel that give you the best pulsing operation. Then, keep those as constants and change ONE other thing until you know it's definitely better or worse - one or the other. The simplest thing to change, I think, is an extension on the tailpipe. It seems to me that the most likely cause of the problem is the tail cone being a little short. If every extension seems worse, or no better, then go the other way - remove the tail extension and gradually build up more putty at the flare.

I'm sure you've seen enough fuel/air combinations now to be pretty sure that's not the basic problem. You could still try a deeper fuel position - but, having it at the throat of the flare has to work, once the engine is really tuned to run!

Believe it or not, you're doing great! You just haven't found the critical thing quite yet. Nature always favor the hidden flaw - once the secret is revealed, it will all seem quite obvious ;-)

L Cottrill

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:09 am

If you are doing a lot of testing, some frequencies might be getting through your muffs, and to be on the safe side, some added foam ear plugs might help protect your ears just in case. I know when I have been blasting away, it doesn't seem very loud at all, but when you take your muffs off you can really get an idea of how disturbing it might be to the neighbors.
But back to the topic at hand, it's just that certain sounds get through ear muffs sometimes, but with ear plugs you get even more protection.
Sounds like you are almost there. If only propane were more forgiving.
Mark
Presentation is Everything