Lockwood Video - Pulseboat Action!

Moderator: Mike Everman

dadruid
Antipspambot question: 0

Lockwood Video - Pulseboat Action!

Post by dadruid » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:29 pm

My roomate yelled at me to turn on the TV tonight, and look what I found. I missed the first leg of the race, during which there was some sort of mechanical failure, but during the second half the lockwood worked great, and propelled the boat to victory. Is it just me, or is combustion happening in the wrong place? Anyway, hope you all enjoy, nothing technical here, just fun.

UPDATE - Oy! Where's the video?!? I'm trying to add it to my post but it says "No post mode specified." It's an 8-meg zip file, maximum is 10 megs right?

UPDATE 2 - Okay, not sure why that didn't work. And while I'm complaining, why don't PM's work? ANYWAY, you came here to see the video, so here she be... http://www.dipsomania.net/drewtemp/Lockwood.zip Enjoy!

hinote

Re: Lockwood Video - Pulseboat Action!

Post by hinote » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:19 pm

dadruid wrote: Is it just me, or is combustion happening in the wrong place?
It's well downstream of the combustion chamber, that's for sure.

Does anybody have an estimate of the thrust? I would say it might be 100 lbf; definitely not 200 lbf.

Also, does anybody know who did the set-up for this engine? It looks like a Bruce Simpson project to me, but there was no evidence of him.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts, Inc.

vhautaka

Post by vhautaka » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:44 pm

Thanks for the download dadruid!

"if just one weld breaks the pulsejet is going to explode!"
.. yeah, right.

The boat seems kinda heavy, it clearly needs a couple Lockwoods more to get out of the water and up to speed. :) The engine could be, I think, mounted a bit more backwards... and also the engine shouldn't be pointing down (pushing the boat's nose down)?

Hmm... did anybody happen to rip the Scrapheap episode with Bruce?

Tom

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:51 pm

i have it on tape somewhere, and as soon as i get ym new card sorted out, i shall have a go at hooking up the recorder. dont expect it to work though lol :o)

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Lockwood Video - Pulseboat Action!

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:40 pm

hinote wrote:does anybody know who did the set-up for this engine? It looks like a Bruce Simpson project to me, but there was no evidence of him.
Yes, I can confirm it was Bruce's. A big beast. When set up optimally, he says, the thrust is 160 lbs static. This one (a hasty iteration of his 160 lbs design) obviously wasn't set up quite properly, judging by the redness of the exhaust tube. But, for a hasty, built-on-the spot thing, it is realyl quite good.

It was last summer. Here's a quote from what Bruce wrote to me at the time:

"It beat a V8-powered boat made from a roller-coaster carriage. Unfortunately, it was built really badly and didn't perform as
well as it should have. The boat was also built very poorly
(from the top of a horse trailer) and was front-heavy so it was a
pure displacement hull rather than a planing hull.
But it was a lot of fun :-)"

I bet it must have been.