Make your own ethanol/methanol?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Jim Berquist
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Make your own ethanol/methanol?

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:31 pm

News Flash::::

Today a terrible accident happened! Please do not view this on a empty stomach......

Please be seated!

Please have any and all medicines required at hand!!!!

This is and was a completely senseless accident!!! Not Right!!!

Jim
Attachments
Terrible_Accident.zip
(229.79 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:33 pm

News Flash::::

Today a terrible accident happened! Please do not view this on a empty stomach......

Please be seated!

Jim
Attachments
Terrible_Accident.zip
(229.79 KiB) Downloaded 452 times

_Rahul_

Post by _Rahul_ » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:47 pm

As I understand it, you can take a fruit or vegetable, mash it up, put it in a container with with a tube coming out of it placed into water to let CO2 bubble out but no O2 in, let it ferment for 2-3weeks, then distill it and get ethanol and a little bit of methanol. Is this correct?

Also, if you add sugar and yeast it will ferment faster?
Hey is it necessary to dip that thing in water? In my local area some tribals make this thing by drying a pumpkin or a Gourd in hot sun .. wen all the water evaporates from the skin .. its top is cut off .. emptied from inside,and then allowed to dry in sun again .. from inside. Then it is filled with some cheap juice( orange/pinapple and wild berries) .. top put back again .. sealed with duct tape and buried in their backyard..a few feet deep! A month later u can see them drinking that 'thing' straight from the dried 'container' .. and it works on them .. becoz I've seen them acting "perfect" assholes after that!!

Never tried that thing myself .. neither had guts till date!
None of 'em got blind .. neither they got a tumor in the head .. not even sick!!
Adaptation or Zero methanol?
Will personally do some research into this after my crazy exams end on 17th January 2007!!

definitely .. I dont think its beer Jim!!
[url=callto://ralph_10019]Image[/url]

leo

Re: re: Make your own ethanol/methanol?

Post by leo » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:09 pm

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote:News Flash::::

Please be seated!

Jim
This terrible accident from a other angle.
Attachments
Terrible_Accident.png
Terrible_Accident.png (553.27 KiB) Viewed 12464 times

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:32 pm

What do you think Leo? So it was worse then I thought!!!!! Just look at the dead!!!!!!!

Five percent survival rate? Just not right!

Jim

tufty

Post by tufty » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:29 pm

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote:Five percent survival rate?
Nah, 5% (by volume) before the accident. Anyway, it's Grolsch, and while it's not doing society a favour in the same way that it would be if the "victims" had been, for example, Miller Lite, it's still horrible chemical piss. Society is better off without it.
_Rahul_ wrote:Hey is it necessary to dip that thing in water?
That sounds soooo dirty :) The main thing is to not let oxygen back in to where stuff is fermenting, keeps down the risk of the whole thing turning to undrinkable vinegar. The "recommended" solution is a water lock, it's a glass tube that goes through a cork, and at the top has a sort of expanded S section that has water in it. Looks like this:

They are great, but if you have a lot of stuff ferementing it either has to be in lots of small containers (with the resultant need for loads of expensive airlocks, and the constant "bubbling" noise which will drive you mad) or in a bloody big container which will produce enough CO2 to empty the average airlock in a fairly rapid manner.

If you're feremnting in demijohns, you can get away with a piece of sterile cloth and then a bit of plastic sheet placed over the bung hole, and then held in place with an elastic band. Ghetto, but it works.

Or you can do what I do, which is use 60L polyethelene containers which come with tight-fitting, rubber-sealed lids fitted with a removable plastic "key" to keep them from sealing entirely. Once fermentation starts, it's running at positive pressure, so only CO2 gets out, if anything is trying to get in it ends up sealing the container tight. They look like this, although obviously I don't clamp the lids in place:

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Deja vu!

That"s what I have. I use some plastic fish tank air line and part of a fish tank filter set up for the air lock . That air lock is for wine and would be dry before I got home from work . I brew outside and don't wish the water to evaporate from the lock. Too hot in the summer but good about now!! I place a old water bed heater set under it and it keeps @ a toasty 78* fahrenheit at the top!!!!!

Set up is most ugly but clean and safe......

As it's been getting down in the 30's and 40's,,,,,,I have the whole thing wrapped up like my fist born with a sleeping bag....

Current mix: A Bitter Mix

Malt extract: 7 lb

Golden hops: 6 lb, 2lb local wild form of hops called rain bush....

4 lb sugar

Barley : Local type, Rolled....4lbs

1/2 oz brewers yeast. Preset in water / sugar and divided alive....Introduced into mix over a two day period.

Jim

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:01 am

I can remember driving through acres of hops in Oregon when I lived there. Here's a formula for all you charts and graphs guys. From what I understand, you take the vine length over the number of hops and you get the resonant tastebud frequency, in alpha acid units. (See article).
Mark
IBU = 1 x 6 x 25 =22 IBUs
5 x 1.34
http://www.freshops.com/prodinfo.html
Presentation is Everything

Greg O'Bryant

Post by Greg O'Bryant » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:56 am

You guys are up to 60 liters? I am still brewing 5 gal at a time. I have been thinking of going larger, but I like using the demijohns. The best part of homebrewing is every once and a while you make a beer that is sooo good that if every beer was as good the whole world would be alcoholics!!

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:59 am

Greg:

I use a 35 Gal US tank .....Sounds large but by the time you loose the head....Dead Yeast "Off the bottom you figure",,,,,,I use mostly whole grain and rolled grains.. You can tell after the fist week if it's going to be good as all of the Fluff settles to the bottom..

Out of 30 gal of product , I only end up with maybe 15 or 20 gal of what I want to drink...When I empty the barrel I feed it to the chickens.......They will lay some kick but eggs in about 3 days.........

As in wine or any other product , you have to boil everything before it goes into the bin......Kill, Kill the bad molds, and bacterias.......

Here is a simple experiment for you.

Boil some tea... While it is still hot poor it into a clean 2lt bottle. Say about 4" from the top!!

No yeast..

Add about 1 oz of sugar..pree boiled as a syrup...Or add to boiled tea to save a step!

Cap the bottle just tight enough were you can not squaws it to hear air come out.

Place it on a counter top out of the sun for say, 6 weeks. Check the bottle once a week , if you see it bulging open the top just enough to hear the hissss..

At the end of six weeks you will find the bottle contains a tangy tasty substance called wine...God provided, Just for you!!!!!

For real! I don't know how it works but it does...It ferments and converts to the tastiest wine you ever had--------------

Jim

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:17 am

NickC:

You still there?

Budweiser is your answer. You can buy all the cheap Budweiser and step up the process redistill it and obtain your Ethanol and Methanol....Possibly your Formaldehyd......

Just a thought?

Jim

tufty

Post by tufty » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:55 am

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote:You can buy all the cheap Budweiser and step up the process redistill it and obtain your Ethanol and Methanol....Possibly your Formaldehyd......
Diaminomethanal, more like :D

Kakeman

Post by Kakeman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:53 pm

I know that yeast start to die when there is ~30% alcohol if it helps anybody
Alcohol % can maybe be measured by resistant :/ if it helps anybody :)

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:59 pm

Ah You Say!

Urea, other wise known as Piss!

I heard bat piss is better then pig piss...

Urea is the basis of a oxidizer. Not Alcohol...

Jim

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:03 am

It got down to 11 degree F....I think my suds took a hit....Sad Sad Sad...

Even with the water bed heater plate, It got down to 40 degrees F this morning! Sad...Sad...Sad...

Hope it just went dormant and did not freeze......

It's been from 11 to 15 degree over the past week here. NOT RIGHT!!!

Hell, it's not done this before. could work out good. Slow, furmentation and longer time for it.

Will see!

Jim