Truth or dare

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:20 am

Viv, but it's different. Myers has a restriction on the entry to the mixing chamber. Its real combustion chamber is to the right. The Messerschmidt has a fairly normal valvejet combustion chamber. a number of ecrevisses and Lockwoods were built with such a sudden transition.

I must say that what surprises me the most is the idea that an effective transition between pulsating and steady combustion can be achieved. I would have expected the pulsations to become unsustainable before the ramjet conditions are quite attained.

If this thing worked -- and the paper gives a lot of evidence that it did -- it opened a new chapter in ramjet engines. Yet, it does not appear to be a familiar thing. Not even ramjet enthusiasts appear to know about it. Curious.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:27 am

Look at picture 0065.jpg

The collar-like thing between the pulsejet chamber and the ramjet chamber is apparently a variable-opening irising orifice. A fancy piece of kit for such a humble engine. That iris alone must have cost about five complete Lockwoods.

Other versions of the engine do not have this variable opening.

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:24 pm

NO S#!T! Messerschmidt?

I thought he was out of the game by the 70s. All I could think about when I saw the front profile in that first drawing (0057.jpg) was the SR71 Black Bird.

Was this thing able to develop any kind of static thrust, or did it have to be in motion to give it life?

Dave

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:39 pm

Dave wrote:NO S#!T! Messerschmidt? I thought he was out of the game by the 70s.
They are still alive and well and part of the Messerschmidt-Bolkow-Blohm (MBB) group, which is one of the companies involved in the Airbus consortium.
Dave wrote:Was this thing able to develop any kind of static thrust, or did it have to be in motion to give it life?
I'm still poring over the document. I'll tell you when I digest it. However, logic tells me that static and low-speed operation were the reasons to incorporate the pulsejet principle. Besides, according to photographs, it was tested statically on a 'normal' stand, not in the wind tunnel.

Plenty of graphs in the document, so I'll be able to tell you the story in greater detail when I'm through. It's heavy going, though.

Pieter van Boven

Post by Pieter van Boven » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:26 pm

For the first picture....uh... BCVP or a Lorin creation, once tested on the back of a German bomber?
I realy don't know, just want to win beer :-)

Pieter.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:00 pm

Pieter van Boven wrote:For the first picture....uh... BCVP or a Lorin creation, once tested on the back of a German bomber?
I realy don't know, just want to win beer :-)
You meant these, right? Well those are WW II and were 'ordinary' ramjets. The Messerschmidt one came 30 years later and was a combination pulsejet-ramjet.
Attachments
do2177.jpg
do2177.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 4636 times
do2178.jpg
do2178.jpg (13.68 KiB) Viewed 4636 times

Dave

Time for truth or dare part II?

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:21 am

Bruno
How is the data mining going on the Messerschmidt? Sure would like to know more about that beast.
What else do you have up your sleeve to tease us with?
Dave

Bruno Ogorelec

Re: Time for truth or dare part II?

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:40 am

Dave wrote:How is the data mining going on the Messerschmidt? Sure would like to know more about that beast.
Slowly. Real life is intruding all the time.
Dave wrote:What else do you have up your sleeve to tease us with?
Plenty of things. But, they all take time. Sorry. Putting bread on teh table takes precedence.

Dave

Time for truth or dare part II?

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:56 am

Bruno
Agreed,,, providing for the family must come first.
It has also been said that good things come to those who wait.
We all enjoyed the last round and look forward to the next.
Waiting...
Dave