Lockwood Dimenstions

Moderator: Mike Everman

Willastro
Antipspambot question: 0

Lockwood Dimenstions

Post by Willastro » Sat May 27, 2006 3:25 pm

Hello,

As many have said to u guys before i think that the advice and help u give to ppl is great. You offer ur time and effort for the benefit of others in ur community and do not dircelty benefit from it all in monerty terms by helping the ppl. I think its great.

Right now down to business. I am currently at uni in my 2nd year studing Astrophysics. I have always been into physics/eng. Recently i had to do this report on gas turbines for a thermodynamics module. Came across plusejets and found that you can build your own relativity easy. And considering the pratical stuff u do in uni is limited i thought i would have a go and build a plusejet and put the stuff i learn about to use.

I have no pratical metal skills at all or any experiance with metal work. I am a good pratical worker though and willing to learn. But i have ppl i know who can help me with this, they have experiance and all the tools etc SO they will prob do all the welding etc. . Apart from rolling metal tubes, which looks like the machine costs a lot, i think i will get some company to do this for me, but i dont know what the process is called, so this is my 1st question?

I have done a bit of research and i thin i most interesting in building a lockwood engine. Then after this project maybe a valved pulsejet then then ultimately a engine using a turbo charger.

This is beasue the reed switch for the valued pulse jets looks a bit complecated. And then the oil cooling for the turbo charger looks hard also. So i gonna start on what i belive to be the easist one. But if it isnt any input would be great.

I am looking for some measurements for a lockwood engine that would provide enough thrust to propel a go kart with a person on it. Speed isnt really an issue, as long as the thing moves at like a decent velocity. I gonna make the templates of the pecies need from the measurements and then give this to my steel workers. Any other pointers like fuel input, and spark plug postion, the amount of flare needed on the pipes, the arguementer thing etc would be great.

Oh also what thickness of steel is most approiate.

Thanks for the help in advance guys, if u give me even half of the help that i have seen on the other post i will be very greatful. I gonna try and douctument my projects like many of the others have. I will let u know how it goes and acknowledge you guys in it. I see that a lot of others have issues with other commitments like work, wifes, children etc and this has affected there time for thier projects. I have 4 months off for summer lol so i hopefully will have enough time to keep it updated and stuff.

Anyway look forward to the replies.

Johansson

re: Lockwood Dimenstions

Post by Johansson » Sat May 27, 2006 3:49 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can find answers to all of your question by searching for it in previous threads, most questions have already been asked and answered several times during the years...

//Anders

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat May 27, 2006 4:58 pm

Hi,
If you check out my website you can look in the user gallery and see some of the jet powered gokart configurations Mark has made.

I think the lowest thrust lockwood he ever used was around 20 lbs to push the cart, 35 will move it at safe speeds on flat ground. The 55 lb thrust size will push a cart between 45 and 60 depending on aerodynamic drag, and 70 lbs from the twin 35 configuration will move the thing much faster than you will want to go on a gokart.

Dont put a lot of thrust on a hand made gokart unless you trust it with your life. I would probably get a professionally made gokart or dune buggy to be safe.

I have detailed plans of everything from chinese, lockwoods, and the advanced bent chinese (lockwood shaped) and can also custom make engines and equipment.

I am in the process of making engines for several university engineering departments, and research labs. If you are interested I can put together an info package and maybe you can show it to a few people in the engineering department and see if they would be interested in a demonstration engine.

www.beck-technologies.com

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Sun May 28, 2006 12:38 am

You Can follow along with my recently completed build. My engine came out working quite nicely. If you read the thread on its build: http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewto ... 4bc6163613

And the one on starting:
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewto ... c865d4a3be

All of your questions should be answered. The engine was built to the attached blueprints.

Note: There is still a ton of other lockwood info on the forum, so search for it carefully and read it all!!!
Attachments
55lb lockwood dimensions.jpg
(93.57 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!