Major APC Advances!!

Moderator: Mike Everman

hinote
Antipspambot question: 0

Major APC Advances!!

Post by hinote » Fri May 12, 2006 12:01 am

I considered posting additional to this thread:

http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2943

--but the news is so good that I decided to start a new thread, instead.

Today, I drove to my test site at Avenal, CA (about 2 hours away). I took the newly-built M16E "Phoenix" motor--assembled from parts of the cut-up M8E project, with mods. I also took the M18E "mystery motor", hoping to get some initial numbers on its successful operation.

Here's a report on the results of today's efforts:

The M18E motor is VERY difficult to start, and would only sustain with a minimal throttle setting. After a frustrating 1/2-hour of effort I decided to move on to other more rewarding projects.

The M16E motor was mounted and started with a very low level of effort; after initial warmup it demonstrated a max thrust of 25 lbf, and was throttled over a range of settings that showed excellent response, with the initial fuel injector being "borrowed" directly from the recently successful M8E project. This radial swizzle-stick is the same as produced the max 21 lbf reading from the M8E, during previous testing.

A TSFC test of this first configuration (at 15 lbf) revealed a solid number of 1.6--quite an improvement over the 2.1 previously noted with the M8E.

Now, I substitute my "secret" fuel injectors, hoping to improve the results of testing on this first outing. Here's the amazing result:

The M16E displayed an amazingly easy startup, settling into a low-power mode of 2.5-3 lbf; after initial throttle-up, a max thrust of 27-something lbf was observed, with smooth running (NOT approaching rich extinction). A second test of TSFC reveals a number of 1.37, at the same power level as before (15 lbf).

My goals are easily being achieved in power--and are being surpassed beyond belief in TSFC numbers. This is only the first outing for a new configuration, and should respond favorably to further development efforts.

I'll try to sort out the importance of some of the above accomplishments, in additional posts forthcoming.
Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

hinote

Re: Major APC Advances!!

Post by hinote » Fri May 12, 2006 3:15 am

hinote wrote: The M16E displayed an amazingly easy startup, settling into a low-power mode of 2.5-3 lbf; after initial throttle-up, a max thrust of 27-something lbf was observed, with smooth running (NOT approaching rich extinction). A second test of TSFC reveals a number of 1.37, at the same power level as before (15 lbf).

My goals are easily being achieved in power--and are being surpassed beyond belief in TSFC numbers. This is only the first outing for a new configuration, and should respond favorably to further development efforts.

I'll try to sort out the importance of some of the above accomplishments, in additional posts forthcoming.
The operating frequency is 126 Hz.

The acoustic temp is 721K--a really excellent number.

The TSFC number achieved today puts me at or near the forefront of PJ development, IMO. SNECMA has documented a 1.35 number (for the Ecrevisse B)--but that included an augmentor set, and a highly developed pressure-compensating fuel delivery system. I believe this motor is capable of surpassing the magic 1.0 number, with the same development.

For me, the most important part is that the M16E is actually a "1/4-engine"--i.e. it's actually one fourth of the M11E "flight-capable" prototype motor. That means I can expect to directly transfer developments in intake lengths, fueling schemes, etc.--directly to the M11E project.

Additionally, it proves-out my latest efforts in proportioning a VPJ using the UFlow software. Specifically, it uses a combination of acoustic waveforms that I believe haven't before been associated with PJ operation.

Less than a year ago I wrote myself a "technical paper" stating what I believed were the operating parameters that affected SFC in pulsejets; now, I think I can create and optimize those parameters.

All in all, a great day for yrs trly!!
Bill H.

Johansson

re: Major APC Advances!!

Post by Johansson » Fri May 12, 2006 11:05 am

Congratulations!! Truly impressive numbers you are getting.

//Anders

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri May 12, 2006 11:59 am

Well, I remember seeing your TSFC predictions a year ago and thinking you wildly optimistic. I'm just eating my hat. Damn, 1.35 is practically unheard of. This is truly SNECMA territory. Congratulations!

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Fri May 12, 2006 3:21 pm

Amazing.

Congratulations, sir!

L Cottrill

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri May 12, 2006 4:29 pm

Bill with numbers like that I cant help but wonder if you put together all the hints I made about injectors to get something close to what I am using. The 15% reduction in fuel consumption makes me think that you are pretty close.

I have a number of various injector sizes already made up and ready for sale. My offer to make a few for the pulsejet meet whenever that happens is still on the table. I am also offering fuel venturi for dynajets (and similar engines) that increase thrust by around .8 pounds on gasoline and about 1.2 pounds on methanol. This is a considerable increase over the .5 lb boost from using a BMS injector with a dynamet.

With smaller engines I have been able to get up to 35% more thrust per unit of fuel, and really larger engines around 20-25%.

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

hinote

Re: re: Major APC Advances!!

Post by hinote » Fri May 12, 2006 4:44 pm

Eric wrote:Bill with numbers like that I cant help but wonder if you put together all the hints I made about injectors to get something close to what I am using. The 15% reduction in fuel consumption makes me think that you are pretty close.
The injector concept is something I thought up myself--but it may be close to one of your concepts.

It's just the first iteration of the concept--and can undoubtedly be refined through simple experimentation.

The most amazing part is how the motor reacts to the injector; it not only has better SFC--but the motor runs notably cooler for a given power level. The evidence of reduced heat (color) in the metal is quite profound.
Bill H.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri May 12, 2006 6:42 pm

hinote wrote: The most amazing part is how the motor reacts to the injector; it not only has better SFC--but the motor runs notably cooler for a given power level. The evidence of reduced heat (color) in the metal is quite profound.
LoL. That is what happens when you reduce SFC, more of the fuel's energy is going into producing thrust instead of being wasted as heat.

The only way you ever notice it is when you have an advanced injector that you can stick in and compare vastly different SFC on the same engine in the same operating conditions in a short period of time. In this case the 15% reduction in SFC was enough to easily notice.

With my tuned chinese enignes, its especially easy to notice in the 12 lb size, when you only run it at 12 lbs thrust with the adv injector it is pretty cool, but if you increase it to 18-20 it looks like it is going to melt, and you start getting lens flare effects from the glowing metal!

Here is a standard one running at 16 lbs:

Eric[/img]

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

metiz
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by metiz » Fri May 12, 2006 11:37 pm

Great looking engine! could you tell me the specs you used ( for the engine pictured above) or where you got the plans?

thnx

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat May 13, 2006 1:47 am

Actually I designed the engine, as well as several other sizes, and put them together as plans sets which I sell to help pay for college.

The plans are for engines from 4.5 lbs thrust, 12 lbs thrust, 25 lbs thrust, and 50 lbs thrust, plus plans for augmenters.

Eric

http://www.Beck-Technologies.com

hagent

Post by hagent » Sat May 13, 2006 5:57 am

Hi Bill,

That's great news!

Can't wait to see it in action.

Can't wait to stuff those foam earplugs deep down while trying to take some photos! I can only image the roar that thing must make.

Cheers,
Hagen Tannberg

hinote

Post by hinote » Thu May 25, 2006 3:23 am

hinote wrote: It's just the first iteration of the concept--and can undoubtedly be refined through simple experimentation.
Here's a teaser prior to tomorrow's test session of the M16E project.

This photo shows an annular injector experiment I'll be trying; also shown is a simple (cylindrical) augmentor assembly that can be adjusted in the x-axis, to try and find a good spacing from the intake.

I'll also be trying additional CC-mounted injectors, and a 4th-generation liquid injector that works well on amazingly low operating pressures; I'm hoping to demo the motor on liquid fueling, with substantial pressure sensing and compensation.

I'll probably post a report of the day's activities tomorrow evening.
Attachments
M16E inj + aug parts 052506 for Forum.JPG
M16E inj + aug parts 052506 for Forum.JPG (69.46 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
Bill H.