75mm Locky Kazoo (say that 10 times fast)

Moderator: Mike Everman

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:16 am

thats cool as!.. well done

Dave
Antipspambot question: 0

Locky Kazoo lives!

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:15 am

Mike, You Da Man!
If this one is made of 3 inch pipe, think of what you can do with 5 inch. Can't wait for more pictures, video and optimized plans so the rest of us can start making noise in our own neighborhoods. My next surfing stop, the stainless shop at Burns.
Dave

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:22 am

Thanks, guys! It was very satisfying. Here's the failed attempt at something different and slightly augmenting at the tail, before I squash it and weld it on as a permanent extension. I plugged the little crescent shaped outlets and tried again. Both cases made some very loud bangs and aaalmost wants to run. Bigger bangs than with the original length.
Attachments
MVC-669S.JPG
MVC-669S.JPG (53.26 KiB) Viewed 16693 times
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:44 am

Thats really cool Mike well done, you are the first to come with new engine construction method that works:-)

I did have a go at analyzing the sound from your video clip but the microphone is overloaded so the output looks like a squire wave.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:41 pm

Great, great stuff Mike! Congratulations. I particularly liked the crowd of people gathering in the background....

So, the concept works. Refine it, and you may have a product to sell -- possibly the first on the market after the Dynajet and the first valveless after the demise of the Chinese and the Thermojet.

I'm tickled pink by this. Great, great stuff.

Mark

Plane of squash

Post by Mark » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:02 pm

I wonder if it would work as well if the flattened throat were in the same plane as the flattened tail? That way you could just strategically run over a piece of pipe with your car tire a few times, ha, a kind of automobile jet artwork, I guess it would require a "bit" of planning/experimentation/molding though to get the form you wanted, perhaps make a cement template for the pipe to lay in, maybe insert some round bar stock to keep the combustion chamber from deforming.
I have to wonder what is next? What comes to my mind is a twisty jet, if there was some way to carefully twist/crimp a pipe like the way you roll a joint, let's say.
I have some of that ribbed car exhaust pipe that has little chokes along the length of it, it's for bending the pipe however you want it, common stuff, but maybe a jet could be formed by pythoning, squeezing the pipe by gradually increasing or decreasing the waist of the pipe, the anaconda constriction method, maybe strong cable could be used to fashion it.
The old indian trick of wet rawhide that shrinks when dried came to mind foolishly, then once I recall the time I wrapped a pallet of boxes with one of those automatic plastic wrapper deals with the spinning pallet feature. It was a tight wrap and I didn't think anything more about it until an hour later, the boxes had given way and crumpled rather disturbingly. Would a metal pipe slowly deform if tightly wire-wrapped I wonder.
Congratulations again Mike on your form following function. Art and science, what could be better?
Mark

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:17 pm

Viv, I'll try to get a better recording.
Bruno, Locky Kazoos for sale! What am I bid? Don't worry, guys, I'll still post plans and calculator for free!
Alright, I'm going over-board.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:26 pm

I wonder if it would work as well if the flattened throat were in the same plane as the flattened tail?
That's next, to see if the mixing is better, different or worse. As to the rest of your forming ideas, every wee hour is spent mulling over these techniques and more, though I like the idea of running it over with a car!
I've been thinking of a "python" rig to make seamless cones, also. We're starting to think alike, Mark, I wonder if our menstrual cycles will fall in to synch?

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:27 pm

that is so cool :oD I'm in awe and glad it worked. Dad thought i had made something in my room just playing the clip, would be interesting to see his reaction if and when i ever build a jet :o)

Tom
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Dave

Thoughts for a Generation 3 or 4 Locky Kazoo

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:35 pm

Mike

Thanks Mike for jump starting a brave new world of pulse jet engines for the masses. Those of us who love noise and flames will praise your name and our neighbors will forever....

You success, and the input of others, has given rise to more thoughts about what a Locky Kazoo might look like several generations down the road? Something I have been pondering is the possibility making the combustion chamber in the shape of a U bend. This could still make it possible to get the Lockwood shape using low cost exhaust pipe from a local muffler shop. Many shops now have bending machines so they do not have to stock every pipe for every car. They just consult the magic manual, select the right size pipe, clamp on a positional dial, get out the tape measure, pop the pipe into the bender and go for it. By using standard 3 inch stock, and having the muffler shop do the U bend for the combustion chamber, it might be possible to create a quick and low cost Lockwood that should produce useful forward thrust. I look forward to your thoughts and the input of those on the forum.
Dave

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:48 pm

Looking forward to hearing more about the "squashed in the driveway approach" to pulse jet building.
Last edited by Dave on Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mk

Post by mk » Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:27 pm

Very well done!!!! Congratulations!!

That's really a revolution in jet designs! Especially beginners can be successful with just buying a pipe and having s-th to press it together!
mk

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:27 am

Jeeez, do you all realise that we have just witnessed a historic event?
The birth of a new pulejetdesign.
Looks really good!
I guess one could make a whole lot of them and tune them into some kind of musicinstrument from hell ;-)
Someting tells me that my neighbors hate for my humble existense will kick into overdrive before the summer is over.

Mike Kirney

Post by Mike Kirney » Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:52 am

Simply amazing. The Kazoo Jet is a reality!!! Pulsejet enthuiasts will mention your name for generations to come. Thank you and congratulations.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:15 am

My sincerest thanks to all of you guys! Your very kind words, and the input of this group is very important to me.

I'm working out a simple method of putting in the u-bend. I will be posting plans that allow you to hand saw a form out of wood and use Mark's beautiful idea: run it over with your (and in some cases, your Dad's) car. I'd like to get it to under an hour to complete forms, smash and get the engine running. How fun!!!