75mm Locky Kazoo (say that 10 times fast)

Moderator: Mike Everman

sockmonkey

Re: 75mm Locky Kazoo (say that 10 times fast)

Post by sockmonkey » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:52 am

Mike Everman wrote:Ah, the boys are back in town! Back to the what was it called? P51 hot air ramjet thruster thingy? though nothing beats the heat transfer of burning fuel in the air that is the working fluid...
The Meredith effect.
Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Mike Everman wrote:Ah, the boys are back in town! Back to the what was it called? P51 hot air ramjet thruster thingy? though nothing beats the heat transfer of burning fuel in the air that is the working fluid...
Sure enough. But...

In combustion efficiency stakes, nothing beats fluid pressure, yet, pulsejets make do with pitiful fluid pressures. You work with what you have.

In the pulsejet you have a great amount of heat going nowhere. Making it go somewhere useful might not be a bad idea. Especially if it makes the outside of the engine less hot in the process, suppresses a bit of noise etc. etc.

So, maybe you trade a bit of efficiency on the left and gain a bit on the right. What if you gain more than you lose? Everything depends on the bottom line.
This was my thinking as well. A second way to do this would be to run a tapered tube right down the center of an annular-type design as in this cutaway.

resosys
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by resosys » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:44 pm

All y'all are making me smile by bringing back an old thread and all the memories that go with it.

Cheers,

Chris

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:13 pm

Hey Chris! Ha. I still have your grey beanie. Hoping you'll stop by Santa Barbara someday and pick it up!
I didn't realize it just takes resurrecting an oldy but goldy thread to get the band back together!!!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.