Propane Regulator

Moderator: Mike Everman

Sig236
Antipspambot question: 0

Propane Regulator

Post by Sig236 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:24 pm

If I use LP to power my PJ, would you recommend the use of a regulator or just control lp flow from tank valve?
PL

Mike Everman

re: Propane Regulator

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:28 pm

Tank valve is fine if it rotates smoothly, or add a needle valve. Even a small ball valve with a long-ish handle can make fine adjustments, too. Regulators are trouble more often than not.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

madmike

Post by madmike » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:59 pm

What mike says is true. But for what it's worth if you are just curious or you are using whatever you have on hand, I use a regulator off of an acetylene tank and it works very well. However, if you start flipping the tank for maximum fuel output, they (the reg.) tend to freeze up. That's where the problems come in. Just thought I'd share the reason why they CAN be trouble. mike(another one)
Bricolage "expert" level

Jonny69

Post by Jonny69 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:09 pm

I use a variable regulator which lets me throttle the jet from 0 to 4-bar pressure from the propane tank. The only annoyance is it's about 5 turns so you can't throttle it up and down very quickly.

What you could use is a variable regulator to set your maximum throttle position (although you could still do this with the bottle valve) and plumb in a 90 degree shut off lever so you can go from nowt to max very quickly.