No weld Valveles pulse jet

Moderator: Mike Everman

wakmat
Antipspambot question: 0

No weld Valveles pulse jet

Post by wakmat » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:37 pm

I was searching the net for Valveless pulse jet and come accross a site selling plans for all types of jet engines.They have a set of plans for a valveless pj which looks really easy to build.Does anyone know about this type of engine.Does anyone have any plans like this,if so it would be great for us who don't have a big workshop.any help would be great.
Attachments
pulsejet.jpg
does this thing work?
pulsejet.jpg (12.16 KiB) Viewed 12550 times

Anders Troberg

re: No weld Valveles pulse jet

Post by Anders Troberg » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:50 pm

Are you sure it's not some kind of sex toy?

I think that it could work just fine, since it is basically just a circular Chinese, which is a proven design. The alignment of the center pipe will most likely be crucial, if it is not centered properly, you may run into problems. With this design, that should not be difficult to adjust, just give the screws holding it a turn.

Also, unless you want to put in into something fast, you could skip the nose cone and go for a flat front. Probably much simpler to build that way.

A nice thing with this design is that it is easy to replace and move the center pipe, making it easy to try different geometries by putting a smaller or larger pipe there, or by making it longer or shorter by moving it.

Of course, the devil is in the details, and it may be that it won't run because some measurement is wrong. Still, it is worth a try.

steve

Post by steve » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:03 pm

unless they have a picture of it running, Assume that it dosn't work!

there are many other proven designs that are easier to build then that one. do a search on this forum for "pipewood"

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:17 pm

I havnt looked it up, but i think that i saw that on Bruse's site? At least originaly?

Its not a bad idea, just dont expect it to run right of the screw driver!
And i would use that round nose cone!

Expect MUCH experimentation with fueling, thats where its going to run or not.
Before you get to that tho all sorts of adjustable arangements are going to have to be built in for finding the correct positioning and areas of intake and such.

So, after all that, its really not sounding like a "simple, no weld, pulsejet" is it?

There is such a thing tho. Go for the "Pipewood"! The ugly stick of the pulsejet world! Sorry Mike.
As far as i know, its the only proven runner truly without welding, unexpected compexities, or experimentation to get it running. (Which can require a lot of knowledge, understanding and tooling)

Get a "Rossco injector" in there and you dont even need a spark plug.
(this does take some practice tho!)

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

steve

Re: re: No weld Valveles pulse jet

Post by steve » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:34 pm

Rossco wrote: As far as i know, its the only proven runner truly without welding, unexpected compexities, or experimentation to get it running. (Which can require a lot of knowledge, understanding and tooling)
Rossco
don't forget mark's pipe fitting mini logan. there have been three sucessfully built so far. all you have to do is drill and tap one or two holes and cut one piece with a hacksaw. the only drawback is that it runs on acetylene, which not everyone has easy access to.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:17 pm

I've run the little Logan on MAPP gas and methanol too.
Mark
Presentation is Everything

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:54 pm

I can't seem to find the main source of the mini Logan discussion, mind if you point me to it?

Thanks
Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!

steve

Post by steve » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:18 pm

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:04 pm

dupicate post
Last edited by Mark on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:13 pm

In the filelist, there are some larger brighter pictures of the little Logan, look at the latest/newest ~6 pictures I posted, running on MAPP and the hard to see flame of methanol.
Mark

TEdmund

Post by TEdmund » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:40 am

I actually ordered plans from these people -- the plans you get are nothing more than a reprint of the Lockwood Patent. What you get will look nowhere near like the picture they show on their website. Their plans are absolutely useless.

wakmat

Post by wakmat » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:39 am

I have built a ugly stick as of the plans on the forum,I bent the exhaust back around to face the intake.It fired up and ran first time using butane feed from a blow torch.I will play around with the injector placement,but otherwise it ran great.Is it possible to scale it up,I work as a plumbers assistant,so pipe fitting are easy to come by,and my work mates wanna see a bigger one.Any help would great,I was thinking 4" combustion chamber,so any thoughts would be great

Thanks
Tim

mk

Post by mk » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:25 am

Tim,

Could you go more into detail wrt. the butane fuel feed? That absolutely sounds interesting!
And would be a nice thing to get newbies started I think. Go for an extra thread, if you don't bother it.

Your choice.
mk

wakmat

Post by wakmat » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:21 pm

hello

To fuel the ugly I used a small hand held blow torch,the sort used for small silver soldering,paint stripping etc,I unscrewed the nozzle and left the jet,this one has other nozzles you can screw on.and stuck it just inside the intake facing on about a 45 degree angle at the side and towards the combustion chamber.It took a few goes to get it hot then it ran.I played aroud with the placement sliding it in and out,I found about 1/2" in was the best place.Hope this helps.

Tim

mk

Post by mk » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:42 pm

Well, thanks.

I've just been curious about the very simple fueling methode, especially when thinking of butane vapore pressures! Quite counterintuitive.
mk