Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: Smooth Lady Sings the Blues

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:54 am

Larry Cottrill wrote:
Graham C. Williams wrote:Dear Larry.
Another nice little motor, well done.
I wonder if an induction pipe augmenter can be added just by welding a single strip of sheet metal onto the tailpipe, in much the same way as the induction pipe?

Best Regards
Graham.
Graham -

Thanks much. However, as discussed in my newer thread on this forum, I don't seem to get any thrust out of her. Just a fueling geometry problem, or something much more structurally fundamental, as Eric believes? I'm not sure what to think ...

L Cottrill
A part of the answer may be in Graham's suggestion -- maybe old man Coanda is playing tricks on you and robbing you of power. An intake augmenter welded or bolted onto the tailpipe might do wonders. Even a simple flat plate, a flow splitter preventing Coanda from doing his worst, might help.

BTW -- a beautiful, simple and remarkably well defined heat pattern.

mk

re: Smooth Lady Sings the Blues

Post by mk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:16 am

To me the resulting inlet-out flame pattern rather seems to be caused by the vise and its affects on flow. The blue fin flame just turns much too sharp to my eyes. Than in addition Coanda effects might play a role as well.
mk

larry cottrill

Re: re: Smooth Lady Sings the Blues

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:33 pm

mk wrote:To me the resulting inlet-out flame pattern rather seems to be caused by the vise and its affects on flow. The blue fin flame just turns much too sharp to my eyes. Than in addition Coanda effects might play a role as well.
Marten -

I have verified that the pattern exists even when the engine is gripped by the vise much farther back along the pipe. I think it is entirely a Coanda effect. One thing to remember on this engine is that the bottom side of the intake tube is almost colinear with the top of the tailpipe - there is no flare developed at that point, and thus, no real chance for separation.

L Cottrill