Jet Canoe

Moderator: Mike Everman

El-Kablooey
Antipspambot question: 0

Jet Canoe

Post by El-Kablooey » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:09 am

here's some pics, I had hoped to be in the water this weekend, but things came up. Almost finished, just have to intsall the heat shield, fuel tank & lines. Oh yeah, and rig a steering rudder.
Attachments
000_0760.JPG
(1.81 MiB) Downloaded 317 times
000_0761.JPG
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 265 times
000_0762.JPG
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 334 times
On an endless quest in search of a better way.

Mark

re: Jet Canoe

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:18 am

Looks plausible and if fire breaks out, you'll be near water. ha
Here's another canoe suitable motor.
Mark
http://www.delphion.com/cgi-bin/viewpat ... &MODE=fstv
http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US04057961__
Presentation is Everything

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:15 am

Just imagine if you had an inflatible canoe, you could inflate it with propane and run it off of that..... errrrr maybe not

Maybe you could put hydrofoils on it so that it rises up out of the water to cut drag, then you could really zip around, even if it didnt go entirely out of the water the drag reduction should be considerable.

Im still waiting for the worlds first pulsejet powered surf board. Put a 50 pound valveless engine on it an go.... have it flip over and start it right back up....

Eric

Talking like a pirate does not qualify as experience, this should be common sense, as pirates have little real life experience in anything other than smelling bad, and contracting venereal diseases

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:36 am

Oh my stars and garters... ha ha thanks for that, Eric
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:17 am

I've thought about building a little hydroplane for a pulsejet, I think it would work out good. To me, Big lakes seem like the perfect place for playing with pulsejets. It's hard to find anywhere on land you could really let one go, and crashing on water isn't quite as bad as on land, plus it would kill the engine and cool it down to help prevent being burnt to a crisp. Who knows, maybe pulse-jetski racing will become popular soon ;)

mk

Post by mk » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:45 am

Look's nice!

Just cannot awit to read about the first propulsive run. A video or photographs of a run would be really cool, too.

Please keep us posted and good luck!
mk

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:07 pm

El-Kablooey

Having had one of those Tupperware canoe's, I can tell you that they will deform just from setting in the sun. Based on that, and my personal experience with the heat from Pulse Jets, I suggest more separation / isolation (think air gap in your mounting brackets) from the canoe and definitely a heat shield as you had planned.

Best of luck and have someone get pictures.

Dave

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:18 pm

I think it'll be ok, Dave. there is about 1/2" of air gap between engine & mounting bracket, the mounting bracket is bolted to the aluminum stern (see rear pic) about 2" thick & 8"x10" that should dissipate the heat well enough. under the engine will be a big aluminum (stop sign) heat shield. And the canoe is pretty dang tough, I've had it for 20 years. I've ran over it, a 14" dia. tree fell on it once, and lots of other abuse. I'll have to say I am very very impressed with the rubbermaid-like construction. The whole thing is supported by an aluminum frame. It will expand & contract some, but always returns to its original shape. And the heat shield under the engine is a good 6" above the gunnels. If it does start to mess with it, I'll just turn it off. No harm done.

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:04 am

You might want to consider a little distortion of the engine itself too?
Am i correct in noting that you have solid mounted it in two places on its length?

No way of discouragement by the way, i love the idea. Ive wanted to do this for ages, and really think that you could get quite some speed up on water.
Getting it standing up out of the water at top speed would be the go! Good fun.

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:16 pm

It's mounted solid in one spot, right above the canoe's transom, I slotted the rear mounting holes, and left the bolts loose enough to slide with a little force. all bolts are double-nutted. the mount towards the front of the boat is just to help with the vibration a little and stabilize the engine.

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:11 am

No worries then! I did look at that slotted material, and thought that it could be that way.

RIGHTO! lets go fishin!

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

El-Kablooey

Post by El-Kablooey » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:49 am

I'm almost finished. Will get a vid of it in the water this weekend. I hope this thing get some speed. I'm seriously looking into the idea of a small hydroplane boat. It would be easy to build one I believe. a little 8' hydroplane with two big lockwoods would surely be a real performer.