Reynst Pot test rig

Moderator: Mike Everman

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:09 pm

hey guys...
sorry i just realised on brinkster i cant upload anything more then 1MB.. and this movie is 2.80 or 2.74 compressed/zipped... so i can email it to anyone if they want. sorry about this!

Stephen
ps. ill see if i can upload it on something else later!

Nick
Antipspambot question: 0

movie size

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:59 pm

Hi Bruno,

very nice of you to say. I hope we can get some one to host the movie.
im just trying a new fuel feed arrangement and if that goes well another movie maybe?.

Nick

Nick

Reynst pot film link

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:28 pm

Ok here it is, follow the below link to Grahams site to see the film, apologies to those not on broadband but its 2.8mb.

Nick

http://www.speechrecordings.co.uk/jets/ ... ctures%20/

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:12 pm

Oh, I love it Nick!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:48 pm

Quite refreshing, it looks like a little industrial plant in miniature.
Mark

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:51 pm

Hey Nick that looks realy good, nice editing.

For those interested it was filmed with a Canon Ixus 4 megapixel digital camera in vidio mode with a 256Mb memory card.

We took about 12 minutes of vidio 320x240 and used up about 200Mb on the card

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Nick

New film

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:34 pm

a new film "smoky.wmv" is now at the same location as the "reysntpot.wmv" (link below) kindly hosted by Graham and as in the first one, filmed by Viv on his truely excellent Canon (i want one!)Ixus 400.
comments about what is happening with the smoke invited.(its just a bit of cloth on fire not a giant reefer by the way). :-)

the film is about 5mb in size.

Nick

http://www.speechrecordings.co.uk/jets/ ... ctures%20/

Nick

wmv format test

Post by Nick » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:12 pm

test to upload wmv files

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:30 pm

Very interesting apparatus and nice movies. What you should do is follow Mark's advice and add a drop of boric acid into methanol to make the flames visible.

tufty

Diffuser

Post by tufty » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:23 pm

brunoogorelec wrote: Do you plan to experiment with the internal diffuser, too? You can see its top inside the combustor on the picture I have posted. It is rather important for a proper Reynt combustor, for it helps create the toroidal swirl inside the 'pot' that makes the Reynst such an efficient combustor.
Hi Bruno

Yes, I do plan to experiment with diffusers, although from looking at Reynst's patent drawings it seems to me (I may well be wrong, though) that diffuser shape may be quite closely tied to combustion chamber shape, and that a 'straight walled' combustion chamber as opposed to Reynst's tapered chambers may cause diffusers to be less effective than they might be otherwise.

And yes, I am more interested in externally fed combustors than 'jam jars' - I'm knocking together some drawings with rough measurements at the moment, will post when I have them finished (although my time is somewhat limited at the moment - the ski season has started in earnest now so I'm working five days out of six, and I still have some software to finish by mid January. Not to mention the welding that needs doing on the cars, and various other bits of housework)

Happy new year to everyone

Simon

hinote

Re: Diffuser

Post by hinote » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:39 pm

tufty wrote:
Yes, I do plan to experiment with diffusers, although from looking at Reynst's patent drawings it seems to me (I may well be wrong, though) that diffuser shape may be quite closely tied to combustion chamber shape, and that a 'straight walled' combustion chamber as opposed to Reynst's tapered chambers may cause diffusers to be less effective than they might be otherwise.
Just one of the slick tricks that Reynst has applied is the tapered combustion chamber, and matching tapered diffuser.

The inflow velocity is converted into pre-combustion pressure by this shape--an important factor in increasing pulsejet efficiency.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts, Inc.

tufty

And another thing...

Post by tufty » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:10 pm

...which came to mind.

I'm planning on measuring input air consumption, but it occurs to me that this will mean that the input part of the combustor will have to be closed. And this is likely to affect the resonance of the ensemble, it seems to me? Hmmm. Re-reading some of the reynst patent docs, it seems that he tuned not only the exhaust but also the air/fuel inlet part of the system.

Maybe I'll have to rethink the way I measure. Tricksy. I guess the only way to find out is build as planned, run with an open intake, then attach inlet measurement devices and run again, see what (if any) the effect is.

Seems to me that the resonance of the system is going to be affected by some (hideously complex) combination of the following:

CC cavity resonance
CC closed cylinder resonance (maybe)
CC + exhaust closed cylinder resonance
Inlet resonance (cavity? open cylinder? combination?)

Darn, my head hurts. I think I need to weld something up and see what happens.

Thoughts, anyone?

Simon

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:49 am

I think you should enclose the intake in a big enough cavity so that it does not resonate with the combustor. Measure the inflow into the cavity.

Or, use a sealed cavity of great enough volume to sustain at least a 20-30 cycles (say, 60 times the volume of the combustor). Measure the rate at which the pressure inside the cavity drops.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:23 am

After Nick's inspiring demo, I once again toyed with my 2.5 gallon hydraulic tank with convenient female pipe threaded regions I can screw in various sized pipes, scattered about the tank. Not that it's very interesting but there are 2 one inch, 2 one half inch, 2 one eighth inch and 1 two inch diameter female pipe fitting that I have necked down to form a sort of jam jar with various sized exhaust tubes. These attachments emulate a terribly distorted pulsejet with quirky behaviours.
So yesterday I discovered that it will also run with a length of one inch plumbing pipe attached to the top. With 1.25 inch pipe it doesn't always catch but it will crank out some noise for a minute or so on a cool dry air day. With the narrower pipe, it is less boisterous but steady as can be as it runs out a half liter or so of methanol pool residing in the bottom, which probably whips around and gets tossed/splashed around inside the tank with the combusiton process. It runs for a few minutes before stopping. Both pipes are about 15 inches long and the tank and pipe contraption can only breathe through the tip of the snorkle pipe, if you will. I've tried toying with pipes in the front end of the tank and the little side holes, with amazing cannon fire noise. I screw in plugs when I am not using the other various female connecting points.
I have no idea what this hydraulic tank was intended to be used for, I can't imagine having 7 places to screw in pipe on this piglet shaped tank. It's just something I bought on eBay because I saw it was new and stainles steel and el cheapo and had those pipe fittings that make experimenting easy.
Mark

tufty

Post by tufty » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:09 am

Mark wrote:I have no idea what this hydraulic tank was intended to be used for, I can't imagine having 7 places to screw in pipe on this piglet shaped tank.
Mark
Air brake reservoir for something big, maybe?