liquid-fuel success!

Moderator: Mike Everman

hinote
Antipspambot question: 0

liquid-fuel success!

Post by hinote » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:55 pm

Fellow PJ enthusiasts:

This is to announce that I have been successful in converting my Kentfield 4-tube engine to run on liquid fuel; I have operated on both gasoline and Jet-A.

The character of the engine's operation is much more aggressive, with the combustion events having a much sharper individual sound (presumably this is the result of a higher combustion rate).

I'm also getting data on fuel flow now (with a digital fuel-flow meter); I can tell you (Graham) that it appears I'm getting a degree of pressure modulation; even with a supply pressure of 65-70 PSIG the modulation appears to be on the order of 25% of flow rating. Max fuel flow so far is 10.5 gal/hr--not quite up to the max flow quoted by Kentfield. Nozzle rating related to fuel pressure is a big factor here, and I've been through several changes already.

Nozzle location is critical, and I need to further refine my installation.

Start-up procedures also need further refining, but (with a little help) I think the solution is in hand. Further experimentation required.

The whole system is more complex than I had originally envisioned, but not excessively so. For anybody interested in trying to get a more advanced system up-and-running, I can assure you there's a lot of effort involved!

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts, Inc.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:09 pm

Bravo, Bill!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

resosys

Post by resosys » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:05 pm

Bill,

Awesome work. Details and pictures?
The character of the engine's operation is much more aggressive, with the combustion events having a much sharper individual sound (presumably this is the result of a higher combustion rate).
This is my main reason for wanting to run our big engines with liquid. More bang!

Chris

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Re: liquid-fuel success!

Post by Viv » Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:55 pm

hinote wrote:Fellow PJ enthusiasts:

This is to announce that I have been successful in converting my Kentfield 4-tube engine to run on liquid fuel; I have operated on both gasoline and Jet-A.

I'm also getting data on fuel flow now (with a digital fuel-flow meter); I can tell you (Graham) that it appears I'm getting a degree of pressure modulation; even with a supply pressure of 65-70 PSIG the modulation appears to be on the order of 25% of flow rating. Max fuel flow so far is 10.5 gal/hr--not quite up to the max flow quoted by Kentfield. Nozzle rating related to fuel pressure is a big factor here, and I've been through several changes already.

Nozzle location is critical, and I need to further refine my installation.

Start-up procedures also need further refining, but (with a little help) I think the solution is in hand. Further experimentation required.

The whole system is more complex than I had originally envisioned, but not excessively so. For anybody interested in trying to get a more advanced system up-and-running, I can assure you there's a lot of effort involved!

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts, Inc.
Your the first person to confirm that level of modulation in the fuel supply line Bill but it does not surprise me (Graham and Nick Too:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:45 pm

Well, this is it! Having it run on Jet-A is (or should be) one of the holy grails. I mean, propane is nice, but a really practical engine should run on an ubiquitous liquid fuel. Great work Bill!