Fo Mi Chin Re-work [Version II]

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

re: Fo Mi Chin Re-work [Version II]

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:43 pm

I like it myself. A very interesting engine.

Larry, do you feel it is easy to build, now that you have made at least two?

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:18 pm

Bruno -

The thing that makes it a real bear is the VERY thin steel you're working with in the chamber. That's the only really difficult thing about it. If you can really perfect the art of welding very thin material so that you're really comfortable with it, you could turn these out like pancakes.

Naturally, the most difficult part is welding between the tailpipe / intake tubing [maybe .6 or .7 mm thick] and the chamber rear dome [who knows? - maybe .2 mm - thinner than a manila folder, anyway]. I don't know if something like the Henrob torch would make it easier, or maybe the TIG guys would have a better time of it.

As it stands right now, this is definitely NOT a beginner's project. You blow a hole before you even realize it's started to go. Then, you have to fix it, without blowing another hole next door to it. Very frustrating work, taking a lot longer than you would think, both because you have to run a very small flame and because of the "repair as you go" reality of it. An interesting project, but I wouldn't want to build very many of them.

Glad you like it!

L Cottrill

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:23 pm

I like it very much, but I was afraid that it was an advanced welding project. I wish brazing worked with pulsejets. It's much more forgiving. I once had a small steam turbine made out of a coffee can and it had the nozzle brazed to the boiler -- and even that was marginal.

hinote

Re: re: Fo Mi Chin Re-work [Version II]

Post by hinote » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:32 pm

Larry Cottrill wrote:Naturally, the most difficult part is welding between the tailpipe / intake tubing [maybe .6 or .7 mm thick] and the chamber rear dome [who knows? - maybe .2 mm - thinner than a manila folder, anyway]. I don't know if something like the Henrob torch would make it easier, or maybe the TIG guys would have a better time of it.
My recently-acquired TIG setup is widely considered to be the finest available. It's a Miller Maxstar 200 DX. In addition to advanced features such as pulser, and individual control of the front/back power levels--it has very precise control over voltage and amperage, even allowing for handheld operation and the variations that occur as a result.

My brother (the welding expert) has demonstrated welding razor blades together (sharp edges at the joint) with power setting at 100 amps--but the manual (foot) controller backing the power down to ONE AMP! I have persoanlly welded thin-walled stainless tubing together with the power setting at 20 amps, with excellent control.

It's amazing technology--and makes a relative champ out of this still-learning TIG welder.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:38 am

Bill

A Miller Maxstar 200 DX, I am truly jealous!
I have spent a good deal of time on their web site and I have the drool marks on my keyboard to prove it.

The DX is way out of my price range, so lately I started reading up on the MAXSTAR 150 STH. Basically it's the little brother of the 200 DX, but it still has some HF and Pulse capabilities. Realistically, I can’t justify buying one of them either, but it sure is fun to look.

Dave

hinote

Post by hinote » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:04 am

Dave wrote:Bill

A Miller Maxstar 200 DX, I am truly jealous!
I have spent a good deal of time on their web site and I have the drool marks on my keyboard to prove it.

The DX is way out of my price range, so lately I started reading up on the MAXSTAR 150 STH. Basically it's the little brother of the 200 DX, but it still has some HF and Pulse capabilities. Realistically, I can’t justify buying one of them either, but it sure is fun to look.

Dave
I started with a 150, last summer; it's a great value, IMHO.

Mike E. has purchased it from me. We'll have lots of time to talk welding (and other construction issues) at the meet.

Depending on the schedule, I'm hoping to give a presentation about various construction issues, based on my experiences so far. I just hate to see all those who follow having to go through the learning processes that I have.

Bill H.
Acoustic Propulsion Concepts

".......some day soon we'll be flying airplanes powered by pulsejets."

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:29 am

Bill

I think a presentation on Construction Dos and Don’ts would be a great idea and very beneficial for those of us just gearing up to build. This would also be another of those nice things to have recorded, assuming that you are not too camera shy.

Dave

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:49 am

Dave wrote:Bill

I think a presentation on Construction Dos and Don’ts would be a great idea and very beneficial for those of us just gearing up to build. This would also be another of those nice things to have recorded, assuming that you are not too camera shy.

Dave
Yes! Yes! Yes!

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:48 pm

I'll enjoy that too. Bruno, I'll have a projector, so if you want to present something, bring it on a CD or send it to me...
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:44 pm

Mike Everman wrote:I'll enjoy that too. Bruno, I'll have a projector, so if you want to present something, bring it on a CD or send it to me...
Jesus, Mike, I was hoping for a blackboard. You know, a dull black or green board you draw on with a piece of chalk. Or even a white board with crayons, although that is perilously modern in my eyes... :o)

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:51 pm

Ben wrote:I'm sure we can rustle up a patch of dirt and a stick. The grapes must be growing on something.
I thought it only worked in Greece and under olive trees. :o)

I'll bring a toga along.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:18 pm

I'll check around for a big whiteboard.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:25 pm

Mike Everman wrote:I'll check around for a big whiteboard.
Aw, come on, Mike; you have your hands full as it is. Don't bother, please. We'll manage. It's not as if we'll do presentations on the special theory of relativity. If you try to do too much you ruin the thing for yourself while we others have a whale of a time. It's a failure if you don't have great time, too.

pezman

Post by pezman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:45 pm

Since you apparently have a projector and computer, just grab a digitizing pad at Office Max or some place like that -- they're about $60 or $70 last time I looked at them. Then you can use paint or better yet the white-board in Net Meting or MS messenger.

Speaking of MS messenger or Net Meeting, if you also have a high-speed connection, it opens up the possibility for virtual attendees from all over the world to participate (they can "see" any power-point presentations, video, whiteboard, etc.) Since the meeting stuff is bi-directional, virtual attendees could even show off their PJ's from the comfort of their own labs in quasi-real time.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:50 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:
Mike Everman wrote:I'll check around for a big whiteboard.
Aw, come on, Mike; you have your hands full as it is. Don't bother, please. We'll manage. It's not as if we'll do presentations on the special theory of relativity. If you try to do too much you ruin the thing for yourself while we others have a whale of a time. It's a failure if you don't have great time, too.
OK, I'll hand you the screwdriver on friday, and you can take one down!

Pez- no internet access, unfortunately.