pocket lockwood?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

re: pocket lockwood?

Post by Mark » Sun May 15, 2005 6:46 pm

It might be fun to make a tiny pulsejet that ran on heat injection, as Tharratt proposed, only this one would be very small of course. Have a high voltage discharge going on inside your favorite little shape, hook it up to a variac until the best cycling or pumping of air comes about.
Or you might use the great heat from a strong electrical discharge to help along a more fussy fuel that doesn't like to run in small enclosed spaces. I guess then it would be a hybrid engine of sorts.
Mark
Here's a little plane that used light and there was that aluminum spinning top idea where they focused a laser on the bottom of it causing the air to become super heated pushing the little craft upward with the energetic pops of air which sounded like small stuccato explosions. I remember a guy ran about with a fishing net to catch it when the craft stopped climbing.
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=12743
Presentation is Everything

steve
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: re: pocket lockwood?

Post by steve » Sun May 15, 2005 11:47 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Uh-huh; I see. OK, the smallest pulsejet then. Please look at my previous post. I have edited it to include the pic and data on the smallest valved pulsejet I know of. Is it smaller than your Lockwood?
my is less then 60% of the length of that engine and my cc is 2mm skinnier.

all the dimentions are here, but are a little hard to read:
http://www.pulse-jets.com/phpbb2/download.php?id=3198

mark, ive seen a few movies of the aluminium laser top thing too, do you have any more information about it, perhaps a website?

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon May 16, 2005 12:26 am

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon May 16, 2005 12:29 am

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon May 16, 2005 12:33 am

steve

Post by steve » Mon May 16, 2005 7:47 pm

thanks mark!

that might be worthy of a new thread!

Rossco

Post by Rossco » Tue May 17, 2005 12:08 am

MAAAANNNNNN thats cool!

i want one, or two, or so.

Rossco
Big, fast, broke, fix it, bigger, better, faster...
[url=callto://aussierossco]Image[/url]

francisco

Post by francisco » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:21 am

HELLO, I HAVE CONSTRUCTED A LOCKWOOD SINS, AQUI THIS THE PLANE, TODAY TRIES TO TAKE IT WITH PROPANO BUT IT DOES NOT START, ANYBODY ADVISES SOMETHING? SINGLE IT IS WALKING WITH FORCED AIR

FRANCISCO COORREMAN
Attachments
Dibujo.JPG
(24.95 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
"I DONT`T SUFFER OF MADNESS, I ENJOY IT CONTINUALLY"

fran_rio88@hotmail.com

mk

Post by mk » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:40 am

Well, Steve used acetylene as fuel.
Those really tiny ones don't seem to work with propane anymore.

BTW your plans are approaching the "valveless Craftjet mod" dimensions. I think Nanosoft ran his Craftjet rebuild without the valve on acetylene, too, one day.
mk

steve

Post by steve » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:06 pm

I can say with near 100% certianty that this engine will not run on propane

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:39 pm

sorry not much time and I'm a newbie, but try using electrosis with platinum wires and a strong DC source for hydrogen. heh first post but I think if you used enough power it could run this beast, and since it's so small I think I may make one of these, heck this is even harder than my RC heli and building a real hovercraft combined!

good luck on this thing

thecheat
Lasers, jets, and helicopters HURAH!

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:43 pm

ok now that I'm not in a rush... I was just wondering, could you use butane to run this jet? I know they have those little cans that they use for those nail guns, which seems ideal for a Rc aplication.

ok, first of all, I know this sounds stupid, though i'm not a complete idiot, I HAVE spent quite a while researching this and know the basic concept of the pulse jet. So, what are possible fuels for this? And once heated could gasifyed petrol* run this? and I'm guessing the lowest octane (if any) is better for this application.

I'm only 14, so this looks like quite a bit of fun, in anycase how do you bend the end pipe without kinking it? And what tools did you use to drill this. Also what kind of weilder? (arc or torch)

The final question is: could you use a screw in barrel, so you could change them without making multiple lockwoods? or would the metal just fuse, making it an alternative to weilding?

heh sorry for all the questions I shouldn't have to make any more posts like that.

PS: I think I actually have a source of acetylene fuel, as I know someone who works for a chemical plant. so, thanks in advance for any questions you answered.

THECHEAT

*try inserting gas in there :wink:

Dang911

Post by Dang911 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:08 pm

I believe the electric "exploding" nail guns use MAPP gas.
Louder is ALWAYS Better!!!

thecheat

Post by thecheat » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:26 pm

ok, well, how would a butane canister work? ALSO according to the plans, how do you make the expansion chamber have that conical part that slopes into the barrel and the intake shaft?

heh I was thinking about maybe if the propulsion is high enough (above the weight of the device) which is probably just wishful thinking, I'd make 4 of them hook them up on a chassis, point the nozzles down, and basicly make it a helicopter type machine. (look up draganflier) anyways, that would be something to show off to rc modelers. if not, well, an pulsejet RC buggy wouldn't be so bad.

PS: I hope you don't have to use a lathe... ung, don't have one of those. And just wondering, how much thrust was acheived through this engine? I didn't see any info on that.

rocket_man

Post by rocket_man » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:28 am

Steve I'm thinking about building your engine for our school science fair, and i was wondering how thick the steel was that you used and how you made the funnel shaped intake and how you made the combustion chamber. if you could also PM me detailed plans and a discription that would be great.

PS where do you get acetylene?
thanks