The Long Song of Fo Mi Chin

Moderator: Mike Everman

larry cottrill
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: The Long Song of Fo Mi Chin

Post by larry cottrill » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:55 pm

Mark wrote:Congrats. How did you sleeve the exhaust, did you have to weld the extentions or did you luck out and find some snug fitting connectors?
Mark
The connectors are just 2-inch long split rings of the same material - antenna mast tubing, which I have in abundance. Not leak-proof, but as Rossco has claimed, that doesn't seem to matter a whit.

L Cottrill

mk

Post by mk » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:15 pm

Congratulations, Larry.

Hehehe...antenna mast tubing...cool.

Maybe my father -- being a amateur radio operator -- will become a pulsejet enthusiast soon...we'll see.
mk

larry cottrill

Post by larry cottrill » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Marten -

It's only mild steel, of course, but I like to use it because it's so close to the AMA requirement of a maximum of 1.25 inch ID for the tailpipe [actually, for the narrowest part of the tailpipe]. Also, it's only about half a mm thick, so it's pretty light weight - thin enough that welding it to the pressure can was fairly easily done, with care. Also really easy to mash and to form flares on, etc. And it's nice and round, with a well-formed seam weld and gold-color metallic enamel on the outside.

It's just about the whole engine on my new 'Henri' design, which I'm building now.

L Cottrill