r.b pelteire.question

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:48 am

Viv wrote:Thanks Andrew I had forgotten all about that web site from the old Acoustics group days.

Attached is a nice little picture of a mass flow leaving the end of a pipe and generating a vortex and also you can see the shock front of the compression wave preceding it.

Imagine this at the boundery of the two exhausts in the EP.

Viv
Or you can knock a person's hat off 20 feet away. http://www.zerotoys.com/Merchant2/merch ... _Code=AZ01
Mark

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:48 am

Bruce wrote:> Also, check out
>http://www.macrosonix.com/other_te
> chnologies.htm to see what
> pressures can be acheived
> acoustically.

Ah, but we're talking a whole different kettle of fish with those acoustic resonators.

The accumulate the energy of many hundreds (or thousands) of individual pressure waves into a single pressure differential.

With a pulsejet we only get *ONE* pressure-wave per operating cycle.

There's no accumulation of energy -- what you get from a single combustion cycle is all you've got to compress the next charge.
Important principles are contained in their work and it does bear on ours, attached (I hope) is a document well worth reading that gives some details of the principles involved.

I can say that we built an engine designed to exclude shockwaves as per there work.

It did not work worth a damn! just went phut! it had very soft combustion, But thats what we thaught it would do so it was not a waste as it proved a point that then led us to our presant work.

Wave pressure accumulation is some thing that has to be accounted for.

Viv

New PDF version of the file attached only 12Kb
Last edited by Viv on Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:31 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:
Do you have an example of someone who got the Schmidt tube to work? Please share it with me if you do, as I have never found a single (not one!) photograph of a Schmidt engine, built either by him or anyone else, ever, apart from the Schmidt-Argus. I have not seen even an authoritative description of a real machine by someone who knew what he was talking about and provided the basic data (who, where, when etc.) never mind a photograph.

there is no reverse breathing.
I saw this and thaught of you:-)

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:42 pm

Viv,

OK, now you only owe me the Logan and the Holzwarth! :o)

Funny; I received the same picture just yesterday. It never ever rains, but when it does, it pours buckets.

It may provide comfort to you that Schmidt knew of Marconnet and Karavodine, but was apparently unaware of Esnault-Pelterie.

Viv

Post by Viv » Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:45 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:Viv,

OK, now you only owe me the Logan and the Holzwarth! :o)

Funny; I received the same picture just yesterday. It never ever rains, but when it does, it pours buckets.

It may provide comfort to you that Schmidt knew of Marconnet and Karavodine, but was apparently unaware of Esnault-Pelterie.
You see there is a god and he does listen to what you want and then he arranges for you to have it:-)

Viv
PS but he is the god of irony!

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:20 pm

Viv wrote:
brunoogorelec wrote:
Do you have an example of someone who got the Schmidt tube to work? Please share it with me if you do, as I have never found a single (not one!) photograph of a Schmidt engine, built either by him or anyone else, ever, apart from the Schmidt-Argus. I have not seen even an authoritative description of a real machine by someone who knew what he was talking about and provided the basic data (who, where, when etc.) never mind a photograph.

there is no reverse breathing.
I saw this and thaught of you:-)

Viv
Oh, I like that conical valve. Out of what document/book did you find it and is there any in depth look at the cone valve? What a nice find to add to the museum of pulsejet ideas.
Mark

Bruno Ogorelec
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:27 pm

I think it's from Schmidt's own paper on the development of his engine.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:40 pm

brunoogorelec wrote:I think it's from Schmidt's own paper on the development of his engine.
It looks a tad bit more complex than reed valves to make. I wonder what the center shape does and those vanes? on the right side that look like they cover/shutter the array of little cones.
I can't tell jack about the workings really.
Mark

Andrew Parker

Post by Andrew Parker » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:09 am

O.k., I will make this available for wider consumption. For one week only, I am posting a .zip file that contains .tif images of the Schmidt and Gosslau articles. I do not know what publication they came from. I suspect it is a report of an AGARD conference from the late fifties or early sixties, but that is only a guess based on hints in the text. You can download them from:

www.xmission.com/~acparker/pulsejet/schmidt-gosslau.zip

Happy reading.

Andrew Parker