SNECMA CD image scans posted

Moderator: Mike Everman

resosys
Antipspambot question: 0

SNECMA CD image scans posted

Post by resosys » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:04 pm

They're up! This is a "quick and dirty" gallery type upload of the images. I plan to do a little cleanup, rotating, etc... and create a PDF file of the entire set.

Thanks to all involved with getting these documents to the community.

http://gallery.b12labs.com/vivelafrance/

Enjoy.

Chris

Stuart

Re: SNECMA CD image scans posted

Post by Stuart » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:15 am

Holy Mama, thank you so much. I think I made myself sick just contemplating how many hours it will take me to digest all this matrial.
I'm writing an automated airplane designer in java, useful later when you guys get ready to bolt a p-jet onto some wings

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:57 am

Oh, yes! thanks to Chris, Bruno, and George for getting this online. MM, great drawings and pressure traces we haven't seen before!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:22 am

Ah, that was some variety of twisty shapes. Imagine the man hours testing and tinkering with all those convergent and divergent segments as ideas evolved. Good stuff. Thanks for the entertaining designs Chris.
Mark

tufty

Post by tufty » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:30 am

resosys wrote:They're up! This is a "quick and dirty" gallery type upload of the images. I plan to do a little cleanup, rotating, etc... and create a PDF file of the entire set.

Thanks to all involved with getting these documents to the community.

http://gallery.b12labs.com/vivelafrance/

Enjoy.

Chris
Any chance of getting a .torrent of it up, that way us with *coff* dialup lines can grab it?

And we should start a translations thread, That way we can grab parts and have the whole lot translated - I'm up for doing some.

Oh, and thanks to all involved.

Simon

resosys

Post by resosys » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:45 am

tufty wrote:Any chance of getting a .torrent of it up, that way us with *coff* dialup lines can grab it?

And we should start a translations thread, That way we can grab parts and have the whole lot translated - I'm up for doing some.
I don't have bittorrent configured on any of my machine, as they frown on file sharing at the university. I'll have a look at what it would take to configure it at the house or on my other servers. I could also rar it up and you could grab it in chunks, if that would help.

Chris

tufty

Post by tufty » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:35 am

resosys wrote:I don't have bittorrent configured on any of my machine, as they frown on file sharing at the university.
Feh. Cultural Pygmies!

It's OK, actually, I've managed to curl most of the files down to my machine, am scanning through now. When I have all the files I'll make up a tarball and serve a torrent from here if anyone's interested

It looks to be easily-broken-up-into-chunks-for-translation, I'll see if I can work out a list of what pages correspond to what, and start up a translation thread.

Simon

tufty

Post by tufty » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:02 am

Okay, got them and broke them down. See the translations thread. However, the file00xx.jpg series seem to be corrupt, any chance of new copies? The thumbnails on the webpage work, I guess it's just the large copies that are borked.

Simon

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:06 pm

Guys, I'm glad you like them. Sorry it took me so long.

I hate, hate, hate the Post Office and have long balked at FTP but took a plunge at last with the latter. It took six and a half f*****g hours to transfer even over DSL. By the way, WS_FTP is a very nice FTP program. I can recommend it to everyone who needs one.

As for the 'Vive la France' files, the one that really caught my eye was the Messerschmitt. It was easier for me to understand than the Ecrevisse files and I love the simple and neat recuperator those guys have devised.

I stiull don't know what to think about the Ecrevisse and Escopette files. Maybe I'll be wiser after someone translates them. My French is really rudimentary.

tufty

Post by tufty » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:59 pm

Bruno Ogorelec wrote:Guys, I'm glad you like them. Sorry it took me so long.

I hate, hate, hate the Post Office and have long balked at FTP but took a plunge at last with the latter. It took six and a half f*****g hours to transfer even over DSL. By the way, WS_FTP is a very nice FTP program. I can recommend it to everyone who needs one.
Six and a half hours? Are you kidding?

curl had the files down in much, much, less than that on dialup. Maybe I'm missing something considerable here, but that seems very aberrant.

Simon

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:45 pm

Well, when the transfer started, the program said it would last 6 hours and 33 minutes. I went to sleep some 4 hours later and it said it needed about two and a half hours more.

Unfortunately, the log does not contain the duration data, just the end of the transfer, but I don't doubt it did take as much as it said it would.

The CD has about 190 MB of data on it. The zipped folder I transferred had about 138 MB. I have a 256 Mb DSL connection.

resosys

Post by resosys » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:01 pm

tufty wrote:Six and a half hours? Are you kidding?

curl had the files down in much, much, less than that on dialup. Maybe I'm missing something considerable here, but that seems very aberrant.
I greatly reduced the image sizes to make it even remotely viewable by the bit speed challenged forum members. The total for the entire web directory including html, thumbs, and images is 21MB.

Most of the images gain nothing by being large, so we'll have to find some balance and then I'll put the whole thing up as a zip and pdf.

Chris

PS, I routinely get 1MB/sec transfers here at the university (yes, Megabyte/second!) Yeee hawww! :-).

Tom

Post by Tom » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:21 pm

At cambridge uni, when i have to kill some time when dad is in a meeting, i go online on his laptop, connected to the university network, that is an ISP itself. The speeds are stupid, webpages are just there. You cant blink before msn is loaded after you clear the cache.

Tom

Oh, and the files rocked too : o)
Experience speaks more then hypothesizing ever can. More-so in chemistry.

Viv
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Viv » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:16 am

Coffee wrote:At cambridge uni, when i have to kill some time when dad is in a meeting, i go online on his laptop, connected to the university network, that is an ISP itself. The speeds are stupid, webpages are just there. You cant blink before msn is loaded after you clear the cache.

Tom

Oh, and the files rocked too : o)
My old company sold over £500,000 worth of netwoking gear to that uni:-) they probably have a gig fiber lan extension if I know there IT department.

Viv
"Sometimes the lies you tell are less frightening than the loneliness you might feel if you stopped telling them" Brock Clarke

Viv's blog

Monsieur le commentaire

mk

Post by mk » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:04 am

It took me about 45min to download the pictures with dsl. 6.5 houres would be too much for me!! I REALLY respect you Bruno!

Thanks for the link!
Getting information about SNECMA engines isn't to easy. My only problem now is that I cannot speak any frensh!! Damn! Hope some people can find the time and do some translation work. That would be really really great...
mk