Maniac
Antipspambot question: 0

Wich one is the best?

Post by Maniac » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:11 pm

Okay.....

yes, I'm a newbie.
yes I'm also going to build a pulsejet.
yes, I have the skills.
no, I don't have the tools, but that's my problem...

Now, the important stuff:
Of all the pulsejet drawings on this site.....wich one is the best??
Wich one will really work if you put it together the right way?

I like the AtomJet design, because of it's small size. However, is it a good design?
I hope you can help...

Anthony

Re: Wich one is the best?

Post by Anthony » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:37 pm

As your first, I'd recommend you to build a valveless pulsejet; it's easier to do and will show you the basics of how pulsejets work. You should check out Larry's Elektra, in the valveless forum. It's a test-proven design that has been sucessfully built by an other member too, and it doesn't cost much to build. It isn't a high thrust engine, but it's perfect as a first.

Sorry for the quad-post, I had connection problems.
Anthony

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:31 pm

also look in the valveless section and look at all the posts about the Kazoo.

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:43 pm

It sure is interesting to build a valveless one.

However, I think I'm going to try to build a regular one. These are smaller, so easy'er for me to handle.

Is there anyone who has experience with the AtomJet plan? If not, I'm going to built it, so.... I'll keep you posted then.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:19 pm

If you insist on building a valved engine then by all means go ahead. My first engine was also a valved and it just so happens that the pipe dimentions were based loosely on the atom jet only scaled up slightly. The rest of the engine was my own design (oooo! I love being able to say that!) then I built my first valveless and realized how much beter it is. the best part about it is ZERO MAINTINENCE!!! I hated replacing those stupid reed valves after every couple of runs and now I don't have to do it anymore! Since then I have only run my valved engine once and have no disire to do it again in the near future. valveless is just so much more fun and hassle free.

I reccomend that you do build a valved engine (and the atom seems to be a good choice) because it will only make you appreciate the simplicity of a valveless more when you finally build one (and you will build one- Pulsejets are addictive!)
Attachments
My first engine.JPG
my first engine
direct injected propane with an unconventional rectangular valve layout:

My first engine.JPG (19.93 KiB) Viewed 5011 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:13 pm

If you use methanol, and let it be drawn in through the throat of the pulsejet, it has a tremendous cooling effect and keeps your reeds cool and calm. And methanol burns cooler than propane by a few hundred degrees. Reeds are OK, in fact, if you are flying, a propane tank is a tremendous weight penalty no matter how you slice it, and that's why it isn't done.
Imagine trying to power a large aircraft using propane storage tanks.
Mark

PulseDuuude

Post by PulseDuuude » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:37 am

Maniac wrote:yes, I'm a newbie.
yes I'm also going to build a pulsejet.
yes, I have the skills.
no, I don't have the tools, but that's my problem...
Hi Maniac,

I too am going to build myself an engine...I'm going with the TigerJet dimensions...mostly because I have the proper size tubing for the combustion tube.

Have fun with your adventure.
Jim

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:54 pm

Fun, it sure is going to be.

Steve's jet looks great....
When you use propane, is it possible to "inject" it directly in the chamber of the pulsejet? It would be easy to start with propane, and if it works I'll modify the intake so it can be run on gasoline.

And since I hear so much advantages of the valveless design, I'll build myself a valveless too, in the future.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:39 am

Maniac wrote:Fun, it sure is going to be.

Steve's jet looks great....
When you use propane, is it possible to "inject" it directly in the chamber of the pulsejet? It would be easy to start with propane, and if it works I'll modify the intake so it can be run on gasoline.

And since I hear so much advantages of the valveless design, I'll build myself a valveless too, in the future.
I'm not sure weather you would have much sucess with simple hole injection of the propane. You would be much beter off with an injector made from steel tubing (I like brake line). check out my post in the "Problems with BMS on Propane DI" thread for some injectors that I have tried.

Glad to hear you have decided to go valveless too!!