Double Whammy in RealFlight Simulator

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruce Tharpe
Antipspambot question: 0

Double Whammy in RealFlight Simulator

Post by Bruce Tharpe » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:20 pm

Sorry if this sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, but I'm pretty excited about this! The newest RealFlight Simulator Add-On package, Vesion 5, includes my Double Whammy design. The Double Whammy is a twin-Dynajet powered sport R/C airplane. The RealFlight people tell me they have captured the noise to go with it, only you have to turn your speaker volume all the way up!

Here's a link for more info:

http://www.realflight.com/addons/ao5_screenshots.html

I don't know much more about this right now. I've seen RealFlight's add in Model Aviation and my latest Tower Talk. I don't have the simulator (yet), and I'm not certain that Add-On #5 is shipping yet, but it must be close. If any of you have it, let's hear what you think in this forum.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:10 pm

Bruce, it's a damned nice looking machine. Do you have any photos of it in flight?

Bruno

Troy R. Legner

Post by Troy R. Legner » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:50 pm

Bruce,
That is really great to see that. I hope it gives a big boost to your business also. I have the Realflight standard. It is an older version. I use it with a JR radio interface to the printer port. That simulator is a very good way for people to learn to fly RC planes. Take offs and landings need to be perfected in the field, but otherwise a great simulator.

I see that the Whammy seperates the two engines. This eliminated the flame outs?
Troy Legner

Bruce Tharpe

Post by Bruce Tharpe » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:40 am

Thanks for the compliment, Bruno. No inflight pics, but here's a link to a very short flight video:

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/plane/video.asp

Hi Troy, not really looking for a boost in business - not much of a market for R/C pulsejet models. I fly these things for fun, and for the noise of course. That said, if anyone wants to build a Double Whammy, plans ARE available!

Good call on the engine separation. An earlier twin model had the Dynajets side by side and it suffered from flameouts, one engine or the other, on every flight. Suspecting that there was some sort of bad flow interaction, one of the main design goals of the DW was to separate the engines with the airframe. The rear half of the fuselage is a thin profile which acts as a barrier and still allows the engines to remain close to the aircraft centerline. Works like a charm!
Attachments
dwqsaa2.jpg
dwqsaa2.jpg (82.34 KiB) Viewed 12450 times

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:32 am

Bruce,

Double Whammy looks even better on the photo than in the game rendering. Thanks for the insight on flow interaction. It does seem to be a problem with pulsejets.

Keep up the good job.

Bruno

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:27 pm

and the video is great, permanent archive stuff.

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:56 pm

Amazing video! How much skill does it take to fly that missile?

Bruno

Troy R. Legner

Post by Troy R. Legner » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:50 pm

Bruce,
I have a half finished Delta Vortex hanging over my head with a Pulse jet. I had two of them, but one was destroyed by a water pipe breaking at my friends house. I would like to finish it some day. The Delta Vortex is a wonderful plane. It allows a lot of options as to how you want to build it. It has developed quite a following. Great planes should have it as a model on the simulator. It is a top performer in its class.
Troy Legner

Bruce Tharpe

Post by Bruce Tharpe » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:24 am

Bruno, the Double Whammy requires superior piloting skills, eagle eyes, and nerves of steel to fly. Wait a minute, somebody's going to get the simulator and find out that's all BS <grin>. Actually, it's a smooth, solid flying model; does graceful aerobatics, and glides in for relatively slow landings. Easy to fly compared to a heavy scale turbine model with high wing loading.

Troy, finish up that Delta Vortex!