Losenge-Valve Array Completed

Moderator: Mike Everman

Mike Kirney
Antipspambot question: 0

Losenge-Valve Array Completed

Post by Mike Kirney » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:44 pm

I put it all together this afternoon. Sorry guys, no devices to limit valve travel. I couldn't find any half-round rod and I'm getting really impatient to try this out. I can always add it later, I have plenty of valve material. I left the sticky white pattern-paper on the front side of the valves just to see what would happen.
Attachments
AUT_0475.JPG
The COOL Side
AUT_0475.JPG (95.94 KiB) Viewed 8859 times
AUT_0476.JPG
The HOT Side
AUT_0476.JPG (98.18 KiB) Viewed 8859 times

Stephen H
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Stephen H » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:07 am

looks very nice there, good work!

Stephen

Mike Kirney

Test Day Bummer

Post by Mike Kirney » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:53 am

Thank you for your encouraging comment, Stephen. I tested this new valve system and it didn't work. Leaving the paper on the reeds was a big mistake. Also, I found two pinholes in the weld joining the cone to the combustion chamber, so I think that might be part of my pulsation problem. I still have faith in the basic device, but I think I need to re-rivet the reeds so they stay closed before I turn the gas on. Bruno would have admired my ignition system. Rather than using a compicated welding sparker like last time, I used plain old book matches to light her up. How simple is that?

Bruno Ogorelec

Simplicity is next to sanctity

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:11 am

>Rather than using a compicated welding sparker like last time, I used plain old book matches to light her up. How simple is that?
----------

Mike, you are a man after my own heart. Next, we might try to build a chamber out of oak staves and iron hoops. With the throw-match-into-bunghole (TMIB) ignition.

Bruno

Peter Hanely

Re: Losenge-Valve Array Completed

Post by Peter Hanely » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:47 pm

Mike Kirney wrote:I put it all together this afternoon. Sorry guys, no devices to limit valve travel. I couldn't find any half-round rod and I'm getting really impatient to try this out. I can always add it later, I have plenty of valve material. I left the sticky white pattern-paper on the front side of the valves just to see what would happen.
Full round or pipe cut in half might work for travel limiting.

Mike Kirney

Round Stuff

Post by Mike Kirney » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:55 pm

Full round or pipe would probably work just fine, but drilling it and riveting it in place would probably have been an aggravating experience, so I decided just to go without for the first run. My main goal right now is to actually achieve pulsation, then acheiving lengthy pulsation can come later.