dont touch valves

Moderator: Mike Everman

Grant
Antipspambot question: 0

dont touch valves

Post by Grant » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:09 am

I dont know if Im breaking a taboo paradigm here. But if impact is one of three main causes of petal failure why not design a intake valve that does not actually hit a valve seat? To achieve this you could not use the flimsy flower arrangement. I would expect that much more robust valves would be required. I was thinking of rectangular valves that are thick at the base and reduce in width towards their tips. Anyway, the geometry of the intake would be such that when the valve is bent towards the front of the engine irestricts a large area of the intake. Tolerances would have to be tight, and the thermal coefficient of expansion would have to be considered. Perhaps the engine would have optimal sealing only at a given temperature. The valves would need to be strong enough to counteract the full force of a combustion pulse. Anyway attached is a suggestive diagram. What do you think?

I was also wondering has anyone ever built a pulse jet that can replace its own valves. By using valves of a simple geometry (probably rectangular) and having them fixed at the circumference of the motor, during operation if a valve is broken it could be ejected and new valve slipped in from a magazine of replacement valves. Just dont be behind the motor when this happens! Even if valve reliability could be extended to hours of operation Im sure this feature would still ned to be mandatory for commercial pulse jets (if this was to ever happern).
Attachments
final3.JPG
final3.JPG (18.44 KiB) Viewed 4564 times

sparks
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by sparks » Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:31 am

I think we are following the same lines here.
I´ve made one petalvalve 10 years ago, never again unless i´m heavily motivated by thrust or fueleconomy (not very likely neither of them).
Whatever part that is subject to heavy wear should be simplifiedto the degree where one doesn´t mind replacing the parts freqwently.
=Squareshaped valves..
Just compare area round versus square intakeholes..
Five minutes with a suitable file is the differrence between success and fiasco.