ShockWave Dyna-Jet in 3D CAD

Moderator: Mike Everman

mcg
Antipspambot question: 125

ShockWave Dyna-Jet in 3D CAD

Post by mcg » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:37 pm

About a year ago, with Jerry's help here, I completed a 3D CAD model of the Dyna-Jet. Finally finished a 3D CAD model of an aircraft to go with it, the ShockWave of 1956. Thought you might enjoy seeing it.
fr side finish.jpg
There are more images and some mechanical details of the Stanzel monoline control system on a CAD forum, here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1828800

Michael

dynajetjerry
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: ShockWave Dyna-Jet in 3D CAD

Post by dynajetjerry » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:06 pm

mcg,
Thanks for your post. Stanzel also mfd Monoline control units for stunt, 1/2A, A, and BC Speed. The Jet Speed unit was reversed from the C because its mounting differed.
Many years ago, I drove to Fremont, OH, and was one of many who watched Dale Kirn fly a Stanzel Skyraider on a 150 ft. line! He needed helpers to hold the line off the half-grown alfalfa so that it wouldn't get entangled. (This demo may have been in conjunction with that year's Toledo "Weak Signals" Expo.) I think the model was powered by a K&B .45 but it also employed a weight and drag plate in the outer wing panel. He used a .036 in. dia. flying wire to reduce a loss of torsion in the control unit.
Everything worked fine. Dale performed unbelievable wing-overs and vertical eights, as well as many other maneuvers. We loved it.
Jerry
Louder is always better.

mcg
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by mcg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 pm

You have an astonishing eye for critical details, Jerry. 150 foot lines, 36 thousandths. Wow! Proved their point, too, in that the Stanzel system kept working when the lines were slack. I would love to have seen that.
stanzel spiral.jpg
Found this photo of Dale Kirn with one of his early jets. Michael

dynajetjerry
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by dynajetjerry » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:18 pm

Michael,
Thanks for the reply. I recognized Dale in your picture, though when I knew him, he was older. He was a talented and articulate spokesman for Stanzel.
Jerry
Louder is always better.