Dyna-Jet story

Moderator: Mike Everman

dynajetjerry
Antipspambot question: 0

Dyna-Jet story

Post by dynajetjerry » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi, Gang,
I'm finishing up my D-J book and am seeking information on how many I might be able to sell at $50 ea. It will contain about 120 pages of text and about 120 pictures. I'm expecting to turn over the project (next week,)to a nearby publisher/editor for printing and need some idea as to how many to get. I'm considering 50. Right now, I plan to have them bound in ring binders so that all pages can be opened flat. Bad idea?
I have no illusions that I'll recover my out-of-pocket costs but hope to get, maybe, 50%. He will print any number, from 5 to 5000 copies but the charge for each will depend on the quantity. My up-front costs will be about $4000 and printing will add $10/copy and up.
I'll appreciate any information anyone can offer.
Thanks.
Jerry Wiles
Louder is always better.

dynajetjerry

Re: Dyna-Jet story

Post by dynajetjerry » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi, People,
The text for my Dyna-Jet story is now in the hands of Scott D.Trostel. He will organize everything & insert my pictures when he's ready, perhaps next month.
Scott has written and published 5 or more books on railroads, including last year's "Lincoln's Inaugural Train." It's worth noting that all the art work and illustrations in many of his RR books are his. He's quite an artist, in line drawings as well as full color stuff. I'm pleased to have him working with me.
His company is "Cam Tech Publishing" and is located @ 4890 Miami-Shelby Rd. E, Fletcher, OH. 45326. 937-368-2489.
Scott has been a RR consultant for many TV and movie producers and is our resident expert on RRs and local history. For any railroad buff, I can recommend anything in which Scott has
had a hand.
Jerry
Louder is always better.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:06 am

Hi Jerry. I certainly want a hard copy, and would hope that you or your publisher offer the finished product up as an e-book. It's the way of things now, and lessens your requirement to order printing quantities. I do think the spiral binding is not a great idea for a $50 book, but I don't feel strongly about that. I would rather it be a proper glossy paperback binding like Kamp's book for example.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Mike,
We've not discussed my stuff as an e-book, mostly because I'm a "hands-on" type. When reading, I prefer to have the text in my hands; I must admit I don't have a working computer at home.
I chose a plastic ring binder for my scribblings because of all the pictures they contain. Scott can supply traditional bindings but I felt my stuff would be easier to handle in a loose binder because all the pages can be opened without stressing or folding any pages. Of course, loose pages will also be easier to accidently tear out.
I'll discuss your ideas with Scott.
Thanks.
Jerry
Louder is always better.