Success at Last!

Moderator: Mike Everman

Bruce Tharpe
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Success at Last!

Post by Bruce Tharpe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:00 am

No question, you lost a reed. Sometimes they quit instantly, sometimes the tone will change and it will continue like that for a bit, but not for long. That's your advance warning to get in position for landing. This built in potential for failure is what makes R/C pulsejet flying interesting!

Heli-NuBee
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Heli-NuBee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi Bruce, thanks for your input and assistance. I was pretty sure that I experienced a reed valve failure but I haven't had a chance to look at the reed yet. This was only the third flight on the original reed so life of the reeds valves appears to be pretty short. I still plan to build the Delta Vortex/Shockwave pulse jet powered aircraft this winter.

Roger

Bruce Tharpe
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Bruce Tharpe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Some will go in 30 seconds. Some will last ten flights. Most are somewhere in between. It's a crapshoot...

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Yup, we were right, it was a reed valve alright, see pictures below:
Attachments
DSCN1835a.jpg
DSCN1834a.jpg
DSCN1833a.jpg

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:17 am

Hello,

It has been some time since I last posted any information. I appologize but I have been very busy with great grandaughters and two brothers with serious medical problems. Jet Bill (JB) resurfaced the head of my engine and returned it to me when the reed valve failed but I have not had the time to complete repairs to the airplane. The last unexpected early landing resulted in some damage to the landing gear and I finally found some time today to start the repairs. I hope to have my great little pulse jet powered BobCat back in the air in the near future.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (Roger)

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:22 am

OK, I completed repairs today and she is ready to fly again. I'm sure that I will fly the BobCat again very soon. --------- Roger