using 2 stroke engine's reed valves?

Moderator: Mike Everman

may235
Antipspambot question: 125

using 2 stroke engine's reed valves?

Post by may235 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:04 pm

hello there .....
i want to use the reed valves of the two stroke engines ...?
so did anyone here try it ?
thx

Kool

Re: using 2 stroke engine's reed valves?

Post by Kool » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:17 pm

They will melt due to temperatures around 700 degree. Valves of pulsejet must made out of springsteel
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:05 pm

2 cycle engine reed valves will work fine in a pulse jet. You need to make sure your engine is capable of sucking them open because they are often made of thicker metal. The mechanical movement of the piston inside of a 2 cycle engine has more sucking power than our pulse jet engines.

I built myself a home made reed valve tester. I can test how much power it takes to open the reeds on a Dyna Jet or other working engines then I can use the same tester to test other reed valves like 2 cycle engines. I have to cut the 2 cycle reed valves down narrower at the place where they flex so they will open. It is a little bit of work but they do work very well and they will not melt as one person claims.

The only reed valves that get hot are in poor engine designs. The compustion chamber temperature is about 1750 degrees F. The reed valves of a correctly designed engine should never show signs of being hot.

Kool

Post by Kool » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:50 pm

My apologies, you're right on that Rocket Man, that valves never should be really hot in an good engine.
But I simply forgot that there are also metal valves used on 2 stroke engines. The bikes I've owned always used glasfiber/carbon valves. I remind myself now Johnson outboard engines actually used metal valves in the shape of the flower petal design used often on little pulsejets.
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

may235

Post by may235 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:22 am

thanks rocketman for your answer ,,,,,,i thought too it won't melt :))
and thanks to say that they need some work to make them thinner ,, i think it would not start at all if i did not do any thing to make it thinner:D

Emma

Post by Emma » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:30 am

I too used to wonder whether it was possible for us to use reed as valves of the 2 stroke engines. However, it seemed to me that they would instantaneously melt as a resultant heat produced by the engine. Your best bet would be to go for spring steel.
Advantages of diesel exhaust fluid ?

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:58 pm

I have used the metal reed valves from Murcery Outboard motors. I have seen metal reed valves in chain saws too. I had forgotten that some 2 stroke engines have fiber reed valves these would probably get hot and melt or burn up. Metal has to get to 600 degrees F to change color and show signs of getting hot.