Telescoping pulsejet?

Moderator: Mike Everman

timwylie
Antipspambot question: 125

Telescoping pulsejet?

Post by timwylie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has ever made a pulse jet where almost the entire tailpipe telescoped out like those toy lightsabers. I searched the forum, but only found intakes or jam jar telescoping projects. This seems like it could be a real benefit, especially for larger pulsejets(50+ lbs) where length can really be an issue when not in use. Well, I'd love to know of any projects that have been mentioned before. Thanks.

Kool

Re: Telescoping pulsejet?

Post by Kool » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:42 pm

A very important thing with a pulsejet is, that it shoulde be totally leak-free. With telescoping pipes is that pretty difficult. Besides that, I think the connection between the compononents should be permanent because of the expanding of steel.

If it would be possible to build a short pulsejet as in the picture I've attached, than we're on the way :wink:
Attachments
FWE_comparison.png
short FWE idea larry cottrill
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

timwylie

Re: Telescoping pulsejet?

Post by timwylie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:23 am

It would definitely need to be made out of something other than steel in order to prevent any bending or possible alignment issues. The construction would definitely be tricky to make sure no air escapes. Maybe using some sort of "lock" on each of the segments or a lock bar attaching the first and the last segments would allow you to guarantee the connections are tight enough.

I like the ones you posted. As I mentioned my thinking was related to bigger ones where the length starts to get greater than 5 or 6 feet.