New Pulse Jet Dude

Moderator: Mike Everman

Heli-NuBee
Antipspambot question: 125

New Pulse Jet Dude

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:34 am

Hello,

I just jumped in with both feet. I ordered Jet Bill's sport pulse jet engine. I plan to fly an RC airplane with this engine and I am currently considering several different models including the Nitro planes Vortec 32, the Nitro Planes BobCat and the WM TameCat. I have had the good fortune of contacting at least one fellow that has sucessfully been flying pulse jets for a number of years and he has offered a lot of very heplful information. I am interested in contacting others that have experience with pulse jet powered RC planes. I hope to post my experiences as they come. I will be flying and testing in Central California. I also plan to do everything in accordance with AMA rules.

Best wishes and good safe flying

Heli-NuBee

Re: New Pulse Jet Dude

Post by Heli-NuBee » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:23 am

I received the plane that I believe will be my pulse jet test bed. I ordered a Vortex 32 from Nito Planes and it looks as though it will provide a very nice pulse jet powered aircraft. As soon as I get the fuel system parts from Bruce Thorpe and the engine from Jet Bill I will try to upload pictures and information on my build.

Best wishes and good safe flying.

Heli-NuBee (Roger Anderson)

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Let's try an upload of the my pulse jet test bed airplane, the Vortex 32 from Nitro planes. ARF box.
Attachments
Box.jpg

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Vortex 32 ARF as it comes out of the box
Attachments
In the box.jpg

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Vortex 32 fuel room.
Attachments
Fuel room.jpg

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Vortex 32 radio room.
Attachments
Radio room.jpg

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Fuel system componets obtained from Bruce Tharpe consisting of a bladder tank, a Cline fuel regulator and a Perry smoke valve that will be used as the fuel shut-off. Bruce have been very helpful.
Attachments
fuel system.jpg

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:16 pm

I am a bit concerned that the Vortex 32 may be a little on the small side and could well be over powered by Jet Bill's pulse jet engine. I hope to keep speeds down to 100 MPH or less and will have to look at ways to lower speed such as drag and maybe less powerful fuel such as straight methenol. The bladder tank shown in the previous posting will be contained in a flexible water canteen or a hard formed 48 oz large mouth plastic bottle for safety. Actual build will start when I receive the pulse jet engine from Jet Bill. All comments, suggestions and inputs are greatly appreciated.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:17 pm

Looks like a good setup!
Keep posting and let us know how you get along.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:15 pm

What diameter is the latex tubing/gas tank and when did Jet Bill say his jet would arrive? Didn't he buy the Bailey Jet welding apparatus and stuff or was that someone else? Does he have some in stock or does he have to make yours? The Cline regulator is a neat device the way it shuts off when the vacuum from the engine stops.
Presentation is Everything

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:38 am

Hi Mark,

I believe that Jet Bill picked up where Bailey left off when Bailey passed on. I believe that Bill has a number of machined heads ready and is working on tail pipes to complete a number of engines so they will be available off of the shelf. I could have had my engine a bit sooner but I have been out of town for the last couple of weeks and I asked Bill to hold shippment until I returned. I now hope to have the engine in the next couple of weeks. You can contact Bill at: jetbill50@aol.com He also has a web site that you can find easily under jetbill.com. I can't take any credit for the fuel system setup because Bruce Tharpe provided the bladders and other componets. I believe the bladders are made from 1/2"surgical tubing. Bruce also has a web site (see: http://www.btemodels.com/). He can supply both information and componets and he has been very helpful. I hope this helps.

Heli-NuBee (Roger Anderson)

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:26 am

OK, I picked up a vintage Dynajet engine recently that I can use to start my Pulse Jet build while I wait for Jet Bill to send me one of his newer design engines. One of the first changes that will be made on the airplane is to change the supplied CA hinges to DuBro heavy duty nylon hinges. I have had failures of CA hinges when used on high speed aircraft. See picture below.
Attachments
DSCN1386.JPG

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:29 am

Here is a picture of the Dynajet engine that I will use to start the build.
Attachments
DSCN1545.JPG

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:01 pm

Beginning to make a little progress now. All control surfaces have been hinged with DuBro heavy duty nylon hinges. The hinges have also been pinned. I drill small holes in each side of every hinge and then install straight pins that have been cut to length. I then place a drop of CA on each pin to prevent them from comming out.
Attachments
DSCN1550a.jpg
Completed control surfaces

Heli-NuBee

Post by Heli-NuBee » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Pinned hinges.
Attachments
DSCN1551a.jpg