would this be possible? A Hypothetical

Moderator: Mike Everman

EF-126Dreaming
Antipspambot question: 125

would this be possible? A Hypothetical

Post by EF-126Dreaming » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:26 pm

Hi, first timer and first poster.

here seeking info for a steampunk novel I'm in the midst of writing and these Pulsejets are just about the coolest for of Jet Propulsion going.

Hypothetical:
assume somehow you woke up in Ancient Rome around the time of Augustus (AD12ish)
You had with you your laptop, with all manner of advanced data and knowledge, compared to the time
(IE Early Gatling Gun plans, Steam engine designs,early ICE Engine design etc)
Remembering that aound this time engine we see recorded for the first time, although they have been assumed from evidence to exist prior to this,
aeliopiles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolipile

and various other precursors are invented in this century that in the 19th Century combined to form The industrial Revolution, yet never got to the starting block in the 1st century CE

Now you have all this data and knowing that the manufacture of something like an even primitive turbojet engine is decades away due to simple metallurgical tech not being able to produce even the most basic alloys even Germany had on the "Disposable" Jumo 004 and BMW 003 engines,let alone fuel/lubricant supply chain - you go the Pulse jet.

Runs on anything more or less, near zero electronics, and combined with a gunpowder rocket to launch off the rails,.. building a wooden framed, copper and brass skinned "concept-a-like" akin to the EF-126
begins to go from the realm of the "near impossible", to "possible with a lot of effort"

the greatest obstacle I can see is the pulsejet fabrication. Ideally an Argus 0-44 replica.
If you could ceramically line the engine, it could be made from almost any sort of metal, given my understanding. Now I KNOW i am cutting corneres here and Roman Glassmakers/ceramicists cannot hope to compete with the folks who work up cermaic composities for NASA that have managed to make soemthing that can Line a pulsejet and prevent thermal induced implosion due to improper temp strength metals being used in the design and thus resulting in a low degree of integrity..

Put aside the fact that the thing is noisy, and inherently dangerous. The Romans did not care one fig how many slaves died at times, so something as revolutionary as this would be a "sacrifice at all and any costs" type of a deal.

What could you see that might not work or cause this to slip up?
Or have I covered everything here.
What am I not seeing that your superior knowledge can.

Many thanks on this I am looking forward and am greatful for any help any and all members can provide..

I look forward to enjoying my membership on this forum.

Cheers,
Steve K

PS the idea is already copyrighted for any literary minded folk on here , sorry.

metiz

Re: would this be possible? A Hypothetical

Post by metiz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:39 pm

How can you copyright a "general idea"? How you state your question here there's a million diffent variables. I'd me mighty amazed if a "general idea" can be copyrighted.

Speaking of wich, what pattent number exactly?
Quantify the world.

EF-126Dreaming

Post by EF-126Dreaming » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:01 am

Easily, self sent items are automatically copyrighted under US Law.

Cannot quote chapter and verse.

Then again. I didn't come here for a legality discussion. Just to thrash things about.
Get the tech right.
Have a great day

EF-126Dreaming

Post by EF-126Dreaming » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:02 am

and the the Idea Matiz,.. not the pulsejet one but the story. Think that's where you are getting confused.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:06 am

I have been sick for almost 2 weeks. The doctor gave me some antiobitics that keep me close to the toilet. Two day ago I was feeling better and decided I would make a quick trip out side to my workshop before my next visit to the bathroom. Just as I arrived at the shop I realized I need to run back to the house as fast as I can. About half way to the house my pants were feeling wet inside. When I got to the bathroom I checked and it liked like I had spilled a chocolate milk shake down there. I was running down both legs and into my shoes. I had to take a shower and put on clean clothes. While I was in the shower I ripped a big one and blew a big brown splatter on the shower wall. This reminds me of the colon exam I had this summer. I had to drink a gallon of this nasty tasting liquid and about 2 hours later it started coming out. It was my first colon exam so I had no idea what to expect. I was spending my day at the computer then I realized I needed to hurry to the bathroom. I soon realized once I feel the need to go it is too late. I jumped up and ran then I discovered those muscles back there are not designed to hold in liquid. I left a brown trail through the whole house. I downed the last glass of that nasty liquid about 6 pm and was finished in the bathroom about 8 pm. At 9 pm I was relaxing watching TV. Next thing I know I need to run to the bathroom fast. I had to take a shower and put on clean pajamas. Wow what an experience. I was glad to finally get in bed but I was worried I might have an accident in my sleep. Next day everything was fine.

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:42 am

TMI dude.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.