Which fuel produces the most thrust?

Moderator: Mike Everman

gone2fly
Antipspambot question: 125

Which fuel produces the most thrust?

Post by gone2fly » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:46 am

I have been doing a lot of reading and collected a lot of information. This information is not very clear. I know race car engines running on alcohol produce more power than gas the information below must be for a given quantity weight of fuel. Race cars have to burn more alcohol to get more power. Alcohol is a bit too expensive to use in a pulse jet. Checking fuel burn temperature of liquid fuel rocket engines alcohol burns at the lowest temperature. Also a liquid fuel engine it can burn 75% alcohol + 25% water. Water expands 1600 times it volume. In a pulse jet I found one place that said it can burn 95% alcohol + 5% water. Has anyone experemented with that??? I see diesel fuel produces 11% more power than gasoline a mix of 75% gas + 25% diesel should give a 2.75% increase in thrust. I found information that says Kerosene produces more power than diesel or gas but it does not give any details. I found a place that says paraffin produces more power than any other fuel here again no details. I am trying to figure out what fuel or fuel mix will produce the most thrust????? Also I don't want a fuel that burns so hot it melts the engine. Acetylene can be dissolved in gasoline but the burn temperature is much higher than any other fuel.

Well crap all the data below ran to the left side now you can't tell what the heck it is.

Fuel........Specific Kinetic energy......BTU.....Molecular Formula.....Mass.....Power

Gasoline ............44.4 ............. 150,000.------------------------------------------1

Propane .............46.....................................C3H8............44.1

Ethanol ............ 26.8...............101,602.----------C2H6O...........46.07----.75

Methanol ............19.9................77,600.---------- CH4O-----------32.04-----.67

Diesel ...............45.4--------------166,600.---------------------------------------1.11

Kerosene ............43.8--------------151,242.----------C12H26

Paraffin oil

Paraffin wax ........................CnH2n+2

Mineral oil

Propylene Oxide ........................ C3H6O

tufty
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Which fuel produces the most thrust?

Post by tufty » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Thrust in a pulsejet (or other reaction engine) comes from massflow. A decent rule of thumb is that the higher the BTU value of the fuel, the more thrust you'll get from it if you can get it to run. Diesel produces more thrust than petrol produces more thrust than ethanol, etc. Liquid fuels are, however, more tricky to run than gaseous fuels.

My advice would be to go for a fuelling system that works, and worry about thrust afterwards. You'll get more reward by hanging even an inefficient augmentor off the engine than by changing fuels; water injection into the exhaust might be a workable solution as well.

gone2fly
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by gone2fly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:38 am

I have never used an augmentor.

What is the correct way to build one?

What is the correct way to attach it to the engine?

How do you determine correct size for each engine?

noclassmac1972
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by noclassmac1972 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:53 am

50% nitromethane and 50% propylene oxide will definately knock your socks off... Makes a huge increase in power on the stock pulsejets

Robert Bolton