Pulse jets used on a wider spectrum... such as rollerblades.

Moderator: Mike Everman

Flyman
Antipspambot question: 125

Pulse jets used on a wider spectrum... such as rollerblades.

Post by Flyman » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Hey everyone! I've been an RC airplane enthusiast for many years, and have just recently switched to larger, pulse jet models. I began thinking that their simplicity and inexpensiveness could mean that they could be applied to much more. To cut things short, last night, I thought to my self, "Could I strap on a pair of micro pulse jets on the sides of my roller blades?" I figured that about 10 lbs of thrust would be sufficient enough to get me moving and keep me going at around 15-20 mph, which would mean each jet could be under 2 feet long. It does sound childish, but could we say, "there is a first to everything?"

Thanks everyone!

55dcyinely

Re: Pulse jets used on a wider spectrum... such as rollerblades.

Post by 55dcyinely » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 pm

This technology has been around for about 100 years now. But that could be the first!
Check out Bruce Simpsons Website he may have already tried it!

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:52 pm

Pulse jet engines are not for low speed stuff like a skate board. These engines do 200 mph fairly easy.

Try a leaf blower on a skate board or bicycle. I put a leaf blower on a skate board size 4 wheel cart with RC remote control it was up to about 80 mph pretty quick on the highway when I lost control and it wrecked. I thought about putting a leaf blower in an RC airplane but I hate RC airplanes I fly only control line airplanes it is like flying a real airplane I am holding it in my hand as it flies and I can FEEL it fly. RC is like a computer game you just move the joy stick and watch it fly you do not feel the airplane fly. I put a leaf blower on a bicycle the leaf blower by itself did not do much but I was able to pedal the bike 30 mph. I think 2 leaf blowers on a bike and higher gears I could probably pedal it 50 mph.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Rocket Man wrote:Pulse jet engines are not for low speed stuff like a skate board. These engines do 200 mph fairly easy.

Try a leaf blower on a skate board or bicycle. I put a leaf blower on a skate board size 4 wheel cart with RC remote control it was up to about 80 mph pretty quick on the highway when I lost control and it wrecked. I thought about putting a leaf blower in an RC airplane but I hate RC airplanes I fly only control line airplanes it is like flying a real airplane I am holding it in my hand as it flies and I can FEEL it fly. RC is like a computer game you just move the joy stick and watch it fly you do not feel the airplane fly. I put a leaf blower on a bicycle the leaf blower by itself did not do much but I was able to pedal the bike 30 mph. I think 2 leaf blowers on a bike and higher gears I could probably pedal it 50 mph.
Hey Rocket Man,
Here's someone that would complete disagree with you.
jet-powered-bicycle-and-skydiving.jpg
Robert Maddox The RocketMan
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/02/bo ... -near-you/
Bob Maddox also straps a jet engine to his chest when skydiving in an amazing feat of not ending up smashed on the sidewalk like a bug.
Well, at least he's not strapping it to a skateboard! That would just be insane!
Doug