55dcyinely
Antipspambot question: 125

Does anyone know who made O.S. PJ

Post by 55dcyinely » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Anyone?
Here's a photo.
OSPJ.JPG
OS Jet II pulsejet engine
Born in 1917 in the Gifu Prefecture of Tajimi City, Japan, Shigeo Ogawa was fond of tinkering with machines from early childhood. When he became old enough, he attended an industrial school where he learned the fundamentals of engineering. As a student project he built a model engine that won a special award at a student science fair. This started him on a career in model engine building, eventually forming the OS Engine Company. Starting production of model steam engines in 1936 using a lathe purchased for 100 yen, the company also began producing the “Type 1” model engine that same year at the suggestion of an American buyer, Paul Houghton. The line of model engines is still being produced today. In 1984 Mr. Ogawa won the prestigious FAI Paul Tissandier Diploma, one of the highest honors in the world of aviation. Mr. Ogawa died at the age of 75 in 1992*.

Is this the guy?
Ogawa2A.JPG
Ogawa
This is him as a school kid with his parents.

55dcyinely

Re: Does anyone know who made O.S. PJ

Post by 55dcyinely » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Here's one for sale on e-bay
He is a casual acquaintance, are't we all.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MODEL-AIRPLANE-ENGI ... 500wt_1154
It must be about 100 lbs. thrust. Eric's, got one or two listed on e-bay that are equal to it.
THIS LINK WAS POSTED ON AUGUST 24TH 2010 and may not be available. :!:

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Neat story. Always wondered about that company. Don't know what you mean by 100 lb thrust in that last post, though.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:59 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Neat story. Always wondered about that company. Don't know what you mean by 100 lb thrust in that last post, though.
SORRY! A TYPO. What I meant to say (was About 10 lbs thrust)????.
I found out about that Company the same day I posted the (does anyone know who made O.S PJ) on your forum. Nothing like answering your own post.
Oh well! Something about what we do with our time? Is it B.S. or is it good information.
One looks at one’s watch not because we care exactly what time it is, but to know how much we have.
Mr. Mike
Thanks

PS Again, sorry about the typo's

dynajetjerry
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by dynajetjerry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:54 pm

55dcyinelyy,
I doubt that the OS Jet II you showed could develop 10 lbs. thrust. Though well made, they were die-cast copies of the 4-1/4 lb. Dyna-Jet (their reed valves were intercangeable,) and had no other improvements that could increase thrust. Missing on yours is the gold-anodized cowling that threaded on the valve head. It greatly improved appearances and slightly increased flying speed.
Jerry Wiles
Louder is always better.

Kool

Post by Kool » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:48 pm

Maybe searchin with the following symbols could help people when the need chinese, dont ask me what the symbols mean :)
パルスジェット
さてパルスジェットでは
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

ROHAN

Post by ROHAN » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:47 am

That was a very enlightening piece on the founder of the OS Engine Company and I see that it was a well researched article. Such details of the background of the little know people who have contributed so much for the advance of aviation is truly worth writing and reading about!!
In search of rapid prototype molding.