Fuel air mixture

Moderator: Mike Everman

timwylie
Antipspambot question: 125

Fuel air mixture

Post by timwylie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:25 pm

Would there be any benefit to making a valved pulsejet with no fuel intake, and instead feeding it a fuel air mixture through the air valves instead. With a compressed solution this could simplify operation and ensure proper atomization of the fuel within the air. The air itself could also be controlled to increase efficiency - like using straight oxygen. Another alternative might be to have a premix container with the air and fuel valves and then only one valve into the pulsejet. Anyway, just curious if anyone has attempted this and if someone could point me in that direction. Thanks.

Rocket Man

Re: Fuel air mixture

Post by Rocket Man » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:23 pm

I am not 100% sure what you are asking.

In the early days of gas engines before someone invented the carburetor the fuel tank has an air inlet and a fuel/air outlet. The fuel tank had to be size correctly so it would evaporate the correct amount of fuel and mix with the air that is flowing through the tank. The engine would suck air though the fuel tank and the fuel/air mixture going out to the engine would be pretty close to the correct fuel mixture. It worked great as long as the engine did not back fire and cause the fuel tank to explode.

It is best to always mix the fuel and air inside the combustion chamber.

PyroJoe

Post by PyroJoe » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:46 pm

Surface vaporizers are an interesting idea, also wick carbs.

One thing I came across that may be useful is the Petrogen cutting torch, somehow it vaporizes petro. Anybody here have experience with one?
http://www.petrogen.com/

http://www.ct.gov/demhs/lib/demhs/usr/t ... _torch.pdf
(page 53, the mixer uses a wick)

As a cautionary note don't attempt to pressurize air/oxygen and a volatile fuel within the same chamber of the holding tank.
Attachments
pg53.jpg
wick.JPG
think this was from a Popular Mechanics magazine
old_carbs1.gif

timwylie

Post by timwylie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:53 am

Ah. Thanks for the links and information. I was just seeing if there might be a way to simplify the running procedure as well as ensure a good fuel air mixture. Maybe I'll give it a bit more thought based on previous attempts with other types of engines. Thanks again.