Tesla-Turbine Pulse-Jet Hybrid Engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Röör

Tesla-Turbine Pulse-Jet Hybrid Engine

Post by Röör » Thu May 27, 2010 9:21 am

Hi,

As I floated around the net about Bernoulli's Principle, I came to Coanda, and from there to a site, where a very interesting idea is proposed:
"In London in 1970 or thereabouts I met an elderly woman at a meeting of the Aetherius society to which I had a chance invitation. She claimed to be the daughter of one of the scientists who originated the German flying disk program. I talked to her for about half an hour and she showed me a book in German, with pictures that illustrated a flying disk model on the ground and in flight. We talked about the mechanics of the disk and she told me that the propulsion system was based on a Tesla turbine. This turbine she explained had a central core, to which fuel was supplied. Around the central core was a stack of thin disks and the whole was surrounded by a combustion chamber that vented underneath the craft in the same way that a rocket engine vents (with venturi etc). She further explained that the central core (including the stacked disks) was spun at a very fast rate and fuel was introduced. The fuel spun outwards and exited the edge of the disks in a very fine mist. This mist was then ignited and the pressure of the explosion forced the fuel in the disk stack back towards the central core. The disk stack then accelerated. (Here I said to here that this was just like a ballet dancer pulling her leg in to spin faster, to which she replied that this was her father's exact simile). More fuel was injected and the process repeated. Thus the craft was powered by a bladeless Tesla turbine.[...]
Let's just neglect, the story behind it. Doesn't really interest me if it's true or not. But the idea is IMHO really promising.
Instead of the problems which develop with the Tesla-Valvular conduits, as some here already experienced in using them for valveless pulse-jets, this design circumvents 2 main problems of the Tesla Turbine and of pulse-jets (see Wikipedia for it's original functioning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_turbine, but I think most of you know it anyway already due to the Tesla-Valvular conduit experiments for valveless pulse-jets):
1.) The valves don't have to be anymore directly near the explosion, So the stress on the valves is drastically reduced
2.) The compression of the air prior to ignition is much higher, as the Tesla Turbine acts as a radial compressor (Tesla-Pump) prior to ignition. This makes the engine efficient without the need of a high air entry velocity.

Simply said is the principle a mix between a pulse-jet and a Tesla-Turbine. And very probably one would also need to adjust the pulsing frequency, as to get an acoustic resonance for optimal performance, as in a pulse-jet.

What do you think about this Tesla-Turbine Pulse-Jet Hybrid?

With the introduction of this radial compressor which gets fed by the explosion itself IMHO one should be able to increase the efficiency of a pure pulse-jet.

Edit:
It just came to my mind, that this sort of engine also would have an additional advantage over a pure pulsejet, in the point, that it can't just fall dead in under a second. Due to the angular momentum of the turbine discs, which would still immediately recompress the inlet air, even if the last firing has gone wrong...