Valve carriers

Moderator: Mike Everman

evildrome
Antipspambot question: 0

Valve carriers

Post by evildrome » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 am

Hi All,

I am currently making a pattern to cast valve carriers for a 6" size PJ. They wil be modelled after the Solarjet/Argus valve carriers. I can make the carriers and maybe valves but will not have time to proceed much further. Does anyone want to collaborate on this?

I'd say that a pre-requisite is that you already have a 6" PJ you can fit a valve assembly to. You'll need a fuel system too. I won't have time for that either I don't think.

Cheers,

Wilson.

evildrome

Re: Valve carriers

Post by evildrome » Sun May 16, 2010 10:08 am

Woah... deafened by the response.... not.

I take it no one has a 6 inch PJ ? What do you think would be more sensible, size wise? 4 inches?

I just went for 6 inches as I had envisaged the use of such a jet on bikes and carts and I think less than 6 inches is going to be a waste of time from a thrust perspective.

Cheers,

Wilson.

dynajetjerry

Re: Valve carriers

Post by dynajetjerry » Thu May 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Wilson,

Good luck to you but keep in mind that Argus and similar PJs (such as the Globe/Solar 10P14/PJ-32,) require pre-shaped valve reeds. They are pretty touchy to fabricate. Aeromarine Co. (Dyna-Jet,) developed an 8 inch PJ that used flat reeds and seats, functioning quite well. The 24 reeds were in strip form and were quite simple to replace, being held together with 4 through bolts. The design was patented but a Navy contract was lost to Globe.

Jerry
Louder is always better.