Curtis Dyna Fog help?

Moderator: Mike Everman

mcfilipi
Antipspambot question: 125

Curtis Dyna Fog help?

Post by mcfilipi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Hello Jerry

Sorry if it is an off topic and Ill understand if the moderation exclude or repplace it.

Last week I´ve got an old (60´s I guess) Curtis Dyna Fog, a pulse jet powered thermal fogger, and it needs a lot of repairs. I`ve e-mailed CDF but they just answered that they don´t have any parts for it. I´ve replyed asking about anithing (old papers, pictures, etc) but didn't got an answer.

As a Dina Jet history researcher, unless I´ve misunderstood you, (As I´m Brazilian, my english isn´t so good), have you ever heard or found any material about it?

thaks!

dynajetjerry
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Curtis Dyna Fog help?

Post by dynajetjerry » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Mr. Mcfilipi,

Though I only worked on the very earliest DFG, Jrs. (1954-1960,) I may have an idea as to what your machine needs. However, you will need to supply pictures and complete descriptions. If the Curtis guys can't help you, it is possible you will be able to fabricate missing or damaged parts to restore it. That possibility is rather remote unless they are simple and easy to study.

Jerry Wiles
Louder is always better.

Bruce Simpson

Post by Bruce Simpson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:59 pm

If it needs new reed valves then this might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEnNMTMZadw

mcfilipi

Post by mcfilipi » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Thank you very much guys! I relly apreciate your help!

Tomorrow I'll take some pictures and share with you.

mcfilipi

Post by mcfilipi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi!

Here is the link to my picasa album with pictures of my dyna fog device.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mcfilipi/Cu ... directlink

cheers!

dynajetjerry
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by dynajetjerry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Mr. Mcfillipi,
I'm not sure if I responded to your request, earlier, but I'll do so, now. I apologize for my delay.
Your DFG is one of the last that was produced by the Curtis Company, about 1965. It can't easily be restored because of its very poor condition and missing parts. All the earliest DFGs were based on the Dyna-Jet, using the same reed valve and a slightly modified valve head assembly. (I still own the prototype that proved the concept, having been made in 1949. I also have 2 of the production versions.)
All DFGs included an automatic shut-off in the fog oil circuit, to prevent hazardous continuation of fog oil flow into the still-hot pj, if it should stop for any reason. The drum holding the oil was pressurized by air bled from the pj to force it into the operating engine; that pressure was maintained whether or not the engine was operating. The pressurizing valve was mounted on the rear housing casting (yours appears to be inverted and could not permit drainage of accumulated water in that position.)
You might be able to remove the pj and operate it alone (you will need to plug all unneeded ports and make sure there is no blockage of the exhaust due to "coking" of the insecticide,) but I strongly urge you to abandon plans to get the entire machine operating. Curtis stopped the production of that design due to (I think,) liability risks.
Good luck!
Jerry Wiles
Louder is always better.