Moderator: Mike Everman

paul fellows
Antipspambot question: 125

thoughts on pulse jets

Post by paul fellows » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:58 am

formerly: An very old piece of valve technology

An very old piece of valve technology that might be useable in pulse jets is

the double reed valve! :roll:

For those of you who have not dismised the idea out of hand, and are still reading this, the double read valve is what makes the noise in a bagpipe. :(
It has one very big flaw for use in a pulse jet? :cry: :cry: :cry:
And two equally big advantages!
Firstly the valves would mounted on the up stream / cold side of the valve plate, well away from the hot gasses. :D
Second the valves 'role' closed rather than slamming shut. :)
Third (I said two big advantages, there are also some minor ones.) in the open condition the air as a straighter path through the jet.
Fourth it tends to favour the production of the odd harmonics, hence the nasal sound of the oboe.
The disadvantage is it faces the wrong way. :cry: :cry: :roll:
All is not lost “we can rebuild it. We have the technology”.
But first a digression. :?
Take a broad thin walled drinking straw, and cut about 2 or 3 inches of it. squash half of this short tube flat, then cut of the two corners that you have made. That is a simple double read. :) \_/ :)
Unfortunately the rebuild is not minor. :( :idea: :cry:
You could try to use a tuned inlet like they use on valveless pulse jets to create a high pressure wave out side of the vales at the same time as there is maximum pressure inside. I wish I could tell you how that is done, but I need some one to tell me first? :(
The alternative involves tuning the exhaust pipe into a half wave oscillator, when it naturally wants to be a quarter oscillatory. :?
This trick is managed in one of two ways.
first by fixing a pressure node just behind the valve plate. :?
And this trick is accomplished by drilling large holes through the side of the tube just behind the valve plate :shock: (very drastic and irrecoverable :( ) so that the air pressure behind the valve plate stays the same as the out side air. Then fitting over those holes a set of closed resonance tubes of a quarter of a wave length of the new, higher pitched, shorter wave length of the tube. About half the physical length of the tube. (this is only an approximation, in practice these lengths might be a bit shorter, some trile and error will be called for. :? (do you really want to be even thinking about doing this with your pride and joy :( :? :( )).
second by creating a pressure anti-node. :? A second set of holes connected to closed tubes of a bout half way down the exhaust pipe, these tubes would have to be half a wave length long ( as long as the exhaust pipe its self :?: ), and in a proper jet would probably have to be wound a round the exhaust to stop them sticking out of the back. :)
This arrangement as the added advantage of injecting hot exhaust gasses back into the jet at the time and place of maximum pressure. :D
With on gas pressure acting upon them, what will make the valves work, :?:
:idea: :idea: SOUND. :idea: :idea:
The same thing makes the double read open and close no a bassoon. :)
This is where I loose the interest of that last fraction of a percent those of you that have stuck with this so far.
Unfortunately the maximum sound pressure dose not coincide with maximum gas pressure and I suspect that this will under mine this design. :( :cry: :(
Still you've read this far because the advantages of the double read valve are worth that much effort. Now I think it is worth the effort of a some more knowledgeable than me to come up with a workable solution. :D :twisted: :D
two test tickles

paul fellows

the simplest possible pulse jet !!!

Post by paul fellows » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:00 pm

the simplest possible pulse jet !!!
it consists of two concentric cylinders; one of them open to act as the exhaust, and the other one closed to act as a quarter wave resonator. And a cone to direct the moving air on to the top edge of the inner cylinder!
That's it. That and a way to fuel the system!
simple.jpg
Its operation is basically that of a Galton whistle or even an old fashion police whistle scaled up.
simple 2.jpg
Air flowing in hits the sharpened edge of the top of the inner cylinder and must flow ether into the central space or the outer space. and the system starts resonating. Forcing the air to flow; into the centre, down the outside, into the centre, down the outside, into the centre, down the outside, and so on!
If the whistle is to simple an example think of a recorder an edge tone with a length of pipe.
For those who want to go really fast look up the Hartmann generator it is about the same thing but without the cone, but would only work at high speed.
two test tickles

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: the simplest possible pulse jet !!!

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Paul, please do not post the same thing in multiple places. Next clean up I'll be deleting this one.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

paul fellows

Post by paul fellows » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Mike Everman wrote:Paul, please do not post the same thing in multiple places. Next clean up I'll be deleting this one.
delet the other one in stead this one is getting more viewings .
even if no one is replying
two test tickles

Mike Everman
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:25 pm

That's not the way it works. This is a valveless design and this is the wrong place for it. The other one has an active thread going.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

paul fellows

i feel that no one wants this but

Post by paul fellows » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:34 pm

here is a design for a valve for 'larger' low frequency pulse jets.

If you take a look your kitchen or bathroom you will probably see pump dispensers, with a small ball bearing and a spring making up the valve. This is just an adaptation of that technology to pulse jets.
rv.jpg
A long hollow metal cylinder sits in a inclined grove through the valve plate.

Air entering the jet pushed the cylinder up out of the way.

A couple of steel straps stop the light weight cylinder from being blown out of the valve plate altogether.

As the jet stops sucking the cylinder roles back into place under the influence of gravity, assisted by blow back from the combustion zone.

The fact that a different quarter of the cylinder makes contact with the valve seat on each closing, and the fact that the side of the cylinder forming the valve is opposite the side that is exposed to the combustion products, should give it a longer valve life!
:)
two test tickles

paul fellows

The acoustic pneumatic valve

Post by paul fellows » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:00 pm

The acoustic pneumatic valve

here is a better explanation of the acoustic pneumatic valve,
I have previously described it as a whistle in the hope that its simplicity would impress.

Starting the cycle at the beginning of the intake phase
the gas pressure in the resonance tube is low, from the arrival of the rerification wave from the previous cycle. And the pressure in the tail is high. So the incoming charge of cold air and fuel are diverted into the resonance tube. Meanwhile the tail pipe is emptying.
ap v 1.jpg
this fuel and air mixture travels down the resonance tube until it reaches the end, where the pressure builds up and it ignites travelling back up the tube as a pressure wave. Meanwhile the pressure wave that travelled down the tail pipe as reached the open end, returns a rerification wave.
ap v 2.jpg
The pressure wave arrives at the inlet at same time as the rerification wave the resulting pressure difference switches the supply of cold air and fuel into the tail pipe.
ap v 3.jpg
The cold air and fuel mixes with the hot gasses coming out of the resonance tube is temporarily trapped behind the plug of cold air coming up the tail pipe,where it starts to burn sending a pressure wave down the tail pipe. Meanwhile the momentum of the gasses produces a low pressure in the resonance tube.
ap v 4.jpg
Important! If the tail pipe and the resonance tube where simple tubes of the same cross-section then to be of the same pitch the resonance tube would need to be half the length of the tail pipe, after end correction had been applied. (more on this as I find it out!)

Two obvious criticisms of this are; that some of the hot gasses from the tail pipe would get sucked back in to the resonator tube at the start of the cycle, it will but because it is travelling the other way I would hope that it would be a small enough amount to be quenched rather then being a problem. Secondly that this is not a valve/ it switches the supply of fuel and air to the tail pipe on and off.

If it walks like a duck :) quack quack
and it quacks like a duck :) quack quack
then the fact that you can not see it means
that it is a black duck at night quack quack :D
two test tickles