Gasoline vs Propane and Kerosene which is the best.

Moderator: Mike Everman

Rocket Man
Antipspambot question: 125

Gasoline vs Propane and Kerosene which is the best.

Post by Rocket Man » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:23 pm

I built a propane fuel injector for my new pulse jet engine. It has 4 fuel injector holes .052" each. The engine starts easy on 3 psi of gas pressure. I can turn the pressure down to 2 psi and the engine still runs but it sound weird like it is running at very low power. I can turn the pressure up to 4 psi again the engine sounds a little bit strange like the power is a bit low. Above 4 psi or below 2 psi the engine stops running. It runs best at about 3.5 psi.

I have tried several times to run the engine on gasoline using the suction of the engine with no luck. I did the math and made the correct flow jector with fuel orfice but it will not try to start. I changed the orfice size many times and it still will not try to start. Next I will try gasoline fuel pressure with a needle valve.

The calculated thrust is 9.94 lbs. I do not have a thrust test stand yet. I can tell the thrust is more than a Dyna Jet.

When I change the propane fuel psi I can feel the thrust increase up to 3.5 psi of propane and the engine smooths out and sounds good, after that I can feel the thrust get lower to 4 psi of propane. The pulse rate seems to sounds the same all the time only the sound level changes as I adjust gas pressure.

How much power is produced by gasoline compaired to propane or Kerosene?

I have a larger 30 lb engine that I build many years ago that runs on kerosene. The 1/8" copper fuel line goes around the exhaust pipe several times then to the fuel injector. I start the engine on propane and after about 60 seconds the kerosene is starting to vaporize and flow into the engine on its own. When the sound of the engine changes I slowly turn the propane gas pressure down and finally all the way off so the engine is running on kerosene only. Kerosene produces more thrust than propane or gasoline but I have no idea how much.

I don't know htat the hell is wrong with ths forun this page stays below eye level I can not see it at all when I am typing. I can pull it up but when I tuype thr very first letter it drops below eye level again. It is almost impossible to edit this message. The only way to edist is type it in work pad then copyu and paste.

Just wondering how much more power kerosene produces than gas and how much more power gas prduces than propane.