difference between valve grid with other valves ?

Moderator: Mike Everman

Hidran
Antipspambot question: 125

difference between valve grid with other valves ?

Post by Hidran » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:03 am

Hi all - what is difference between types "valve grid" and "argus valve" and "V-valve" or "multi V-valve" in pulsejet ?
thank you for help me :)

dynajetjerry
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: difference between valve grid with other valves ?

Post by dynajetjerry » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:20 pm

Hidran,
All those labels can refer to similar valve systems. For instance, the Argus, as used on the V-1, consisted of a bank of about 20 strips of "V" reeds that impinged on similarly-shaped grids. Each strip held about 10 rectangular, curved petals on both sides of the strip and were riveted in place. Ford Motor Co. made many improved copies of that p-j, to be used on target drones by the US Navy. Aeromarine Co. developed a superior system that, after "tweeking" of the design, delivered a greater specific static thrust while burning less fuel than then-contemporary (1950,) designs. Its reeds were in slotted strip form and required no curvature; they were flat. I delivered to the Naval Air Museum the last, complete example. It may still be there, in Pensacola.
Jerry
Louder is always better.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:22 pm

dynajetjerry wrote:Hidran,
Aeromarine Co. developed a superior system that, after "tweeking" of the design, delivered a greater specific static thrust while burning less fuel than then-contemporary (1950,) designs. Its reeds were in slotted strip form and required no curvature; they were flat. I delivered to the Naval Air Museum the last, complete example. It may still be there, in Pensacola.
Jerry
Jerry,
I wanted ask you about this design (reeds were in slotted strip form and required no curvature; they were flat.) My next project is going to be an Argus type valved PJ.
And I really liked Erik from Sweden's design of the valve guide assembly it's the best I've seen. But seemed like a lot of work. I have been all over the web looking for some kind of blue print dimensions. I'm not a math wizard! If I have a set of plans I do OK.
Robert Maddox, uses what looks like a single long bent valve. I don't want to build a full size Argus P.J. and he's into the big ones.
something like Erik's plans but with about 200 Lbs of thrust.
It has been real hard to get help from the Pulse Jet Community out their on the web.
When I asked Eric B. for some advice (off this forum) he all but ask if my mother knew what I was doing.

dynajetjerry

Post by dynajetjerry » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi, 55dcyinely,
Eric's caution may be due to his familiarity with the noise and other hazards of such large pulse-jets. Our 200# design could be heard as far away as 5-10 miles; up close, it could cause permanent damage to a person's hearing unless he was wearing extremely effective protection (double or triple sound blockers.) There is also a serious fire risk because of the massive amounts of fuel being pumped in (more than 1 gallon per minute,) and the fact that much of it is in the open air and can spray around.
Our design is also quite complex, requiring a 15 or 20-piece machined valve grid plus the reed valves. As I've already said, it is vaguely similar to the V-1 Argus but the reeds remain flat and they are not fastened to the pieces of grid, individually, like the Argus. 4 through bolts hold everything together plus the many that secure the grid assembly to the pipe assembly. It also requires a great blast of 50 psi air into the jet intake to get it started. We used a 60 HP compressor, at full throttle, to deliver the starting air. We also had numerous fire extinguishers everywhere.
A project like this calls for a team of fairly skilled artisans who are fully aware of the risks, not one or two hobbyists.
Jerry
Louder is always better.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:51 am

Jerry,
Thanks for honesty, not what I wanted to here, but maybe I’ll stick to valueless Pulse Jets for now.
Or maybe not.
I didn’t know Eric B. built anything but small valued PJ’s and valueless ones. At least that is all I’ve seen him do on YOUTUBE. And he loves YOUTUBE! He probably loves moms apple pie, but then what do I know.
The Erik I was talking about is the one who built an Argus PJ for a sled race in Sweden! He’s about the same age though. And I wouldn’t call him a hobbyist. But it was his first one.
(Come to think of Eric B. gave him a bad time to.) Thanks for explaining things to me and cluing me in on stuff.
I won’t waste any more of your time. :wink:
Thanks again
Doug

I might be new to this forum but I've been around the sun a few times.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 am

Reed valves look like this.

Argus valves look like this. I use to have some of my argus valves uploaded online but for some reason they are no longer there.

Notice in the videos there is a cold place behind he head. I have made some new discoveries the fuel burning in the combustion chamber never gets close to the reed valves. After running the engine for 2 hours the reed valves show no signs of getting hot. I have also redesigned the inside of the engine so the reed valves last for 20 to 30 hours with no damage. The first video is a Dyna Jet head on my engine it produces 7.5 lbs of thrust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkOR8IZPsFg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5KInr3C9vQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxjgmel ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNyTsUT ... re=related

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:44 am

Notice in the videos there is a cold place behind he head. I have made some new discoveries the fuel burning in the combustion chamber never gets close to the reed valves. After running the engine for 2 hours the reed valves show no signs of getting hot. I have also redesigned the inside of the engine so the reed valves last for 20 to 30 hours with no damage.
Other members have made these discoveries in the past and have shared them with us. Too bad you never seem to give them any credit.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

WebPilot wrote:
Other members have made these discoveries in the past and have shared them with us. Too bad you never seem to give them any credit.
If you read new posts under valueless PJ, you’d see (your comment about me not giving any credit to members of this forum) is simply untrue! Check it out.
Homemade Jet bathtub that was powered by BBQ Tank.
Last edited by 55dcyinely on Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Rocket Man wrote:Reed valves look like this.
Argus valves look like this. I use to have some of my argus valves uploaded online but for some reason they are no longer there.

Notice in the videos there is a cold place behind he head. I have made some new discoveries the fuel burning in the combustion chamber never gets close to the reed valves. After running the engine for 2 hours the reed valves show no signs of getting hot. I have also redesigned the inside of the engine so the reed valves last for 20 to 30 hours with no damage. The first video is a Dyna Jet head on my engine it produces 7.5 lbs of thrust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkOR8IZPsFg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5KInr3C9vQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxjgmel ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNyTsUT ... re=related
A picture is worth a thousand words! :)
Great work! I guest the reason there aren't more illustrations is because they take up a lot of space on the forum.
Tanks for putting me in a place of better understanding.
Doug

WebPilot

Post by WebPilot » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:34 pm

55dcyinely,

I made no comment about you, but I'm happy to read you gave another member some credit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rocketman,

You claim "7.5 lbs of thrust". In a previous post of yours, you were confusing torque with thrust.

How did you come up with this number?

Did you do any calibration? Measure it using 2 different methods?

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:34 am

WebPilot,
No, I was going only by what Eric B. gave with the free PJ plans he offered on his web.
I can tell only that with a Micky Mouse thrust meter I made the difference in a valued PJ and a Valueless is tremendous.
Even on the small scale. That's why I'ev been asking all the questions. And my persistent in finding plans in English on
how the build a small scale Argus type value assembly.(110lbs or so) :roll:
I never expected a free lunch. Or for someone to hand over
there hard work without reason. My apologizes. :oops:
I gust as a new member I should go back and read the rules again.
Thanks
Doug

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:24 am

WebPilot wrote:55dcyinely,

I made no comment about you, but I'm happy to read you gave another member some credit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rocketman,

You claim "7.5 lbs of thrust". In a previous post of yours, you were confusing torque with thrust.

How did you come up with this number?

Did you do any calibration? Measure it using 2 different methods?

I don't have any good way to measure thrust so I had to come up with my own invention. The engine is attached to a test stand with 4 wheels that rolls across the top of the work bench. A steel bicycle cable is attached to the rolling 4 wheel cart it goes over a pully and down to a container full of water. I add enough water so the engine can just barely lift it then I measure the water volume. Water is 1 pint = 1 lb. 7 1/2 pints = 7 1/2 lbs of thrust. Be sure your cable roller has ball bearings drag can give you a fony reading.

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:17 pm

Just a note on direct reading of thrust... Use the carriage and pulley as you describe, but put the full water bucket down on a bathroom or food scale, then watch the change.
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

55dcyinely

Post by 55dcyinely » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Great stuff, a little Ingenuity go's a long way.
Thanks again
Doug