Plans/Documents for Argus AS014 Style Engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Firetube

Plans/Documents for Argus AS014 Style Engine

Post by Firetube » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:53 am

Hi,

my name is Markus, I am from Germany, I´ve build a small Pulsejet Engine 14Pound Combustion Chamber Diameter 3,5inch, Valve in flower design.

Video: http://www.myvideo.de/watch/3881561/Pulsotestlauf

But now i want to build one in the Style of the Argus AS014 Engine (mounted on the V1 BuzzBomb) with a Valve Grid, but i can find nowhere plans or documents, which are exactly enough to rebuild such an engine.

Now i want to ask you if somebody of this forum is able to help me, i will build an 1:2 Scale (for Show purposes) and maybe an 1:1 (only for static display), but without any good plans, i won`t be able to do this.

Sorry for my bad english but i am a german.

Best Regards

Markus

GRIM
Antipspambot question: 0

Re: Plans/Documents for Argus AS014 Style Engine

Post by GRIM » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi Markus,
Welcome to the forum , A real German, who wants to build an Argus , 8) 8)

There is some information in the plans section on the main page , (cant figure out how to link it)
and I am sure that recently I have seen some more complete drawings somewhere ,

Maybe someone here has some more info!

Be aware that scaling up / down Is a slippery issue ,

Good luck and keep us informed ,

G

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Firetube

Post by Firetube » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Cool,

much of the infos i already have.

I am specially looking for some more detailed documents about the Valve Grid, the Tube is easy to build, but i don`t know how to mill the Valve Grid.

Millin itself is no problem, but i don`t know how the parts have to look.

Thank you for helping.

Regards Markus

Mike Everman

Post by Mike Everman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:25 pm

Markus,
Do a search here for argus valve grid, or v1 valve grid. There are drawings somewhere here, but I do not have time to look, sorry!
Mike Often wrong, never unsure.

Firetube

Post by Firetube » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Ok thank you,

i will use the search function, but my Problem is, i have sometimes difficulties to understand the posts.... my english is not very good...

If someone knows where to find such plans, please tell me, for the first time i will use now the search function.

THX

Best Regards

Markus

Kool
Antipspambot question: 125

Post by Kool » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:06 pm

Hello Firetube

A few weeks ago, I was also searching information about the Argus (Fieseler Fi 103) V1.
I have found this very interesting page:
http://www.innssi.com/images/pde03/AIAA-2005-0228.pdf
This is an 1/5scale of the Argus V1 pulsejet, the Solar PJ32.

This also an interesting old thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1574&hilit=fieseler

I also founded a website of a boy in your country who was building a 1/3,4 scale of the V1 :wink: :D
http://www.pulsorohr.de/ And he has also started a thread on this site: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4529&hilit=argus+014
This boy builded many beautiful pulsjets, and the site is in your own language.

M. Kool
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...

Firetube

Post by Firetube » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Hi,

the page is really interesting (http://www.innssi.com/images/pde03/AIAA-2005-0228.pdf ) but the Grid isn`t exactly measured, but maybe its easy to do this myself.

The other tread was also very interesting,

And the pulsorohr.de Page i know very good, i phoned two hours ago with the owner ;-) because my small Pulsejets with Petal Valves are very similar to his engine, i use some parts from him.

But now i want to build an Pulsejet with Valve Grid, Size doesn`t matter it just has to run, if i get enough information i will draw it as a 3D CAD Modell and post it here, so everybody can use the drawings, but at the moment im collectin information.

Thanks for the great support.

Regards Markus

Firetube

Post by Firetube » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:02 pm

now i have a lot of information do different types and sizes, but not a complete Plan for a Pulsejet with Valve Grid.

The engine i want to build has not to be 1:1 Scale, it doesn`t matter when its smaler, the most important thing for me is that it has ha Valve Grid and it has tu run.

I hope somebody can help me.

Has no one of this Forum build an engin himself?

Regards Markus

GRIM

Post by GRIM » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:36 am

Hi Markus ,
I Have Some drawings of some of the engines that I have built , with various valve grid arrangements, I am quite willing to send them to you , but I don’t think that is what you need ,

As I understand it you are looking for detailed engineering drawings of the argus with dimensions and tolerances etc , These surely exist somewhere , but I have never seen them ,

If you were able to obtain the required drawings of the full size engine and build a replica it would undobtedly run as per the original , there are one or two "details " that spring to mind though ,

As far as I can tell the original design used riveted valves , the guys at argus obviously did not consider valve replacement an important issue :lol:
replacing the rivets with nuts and bolts creates "issues" and probable design changes ,

If you plan to make a ½ scale engine , it is unlikely that the original drawings will be of much use in any case , because the ½ scale engine will resonate at a very different frequency to the full scale engine , thus the valve geometry will have to be tuned to suit , this will affect the design of the grid,

There is an excellent thread by Forrest D Eckstein explaining this much better than I can here , viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4984&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

About the best I can suggest is that if you were to design the duct for the size engine you wish to build, and post the dimensions ,
There are people here who would be able to give you an estimated frequency ,

You could then use the information in Forrests posts to determine the valve geometry, and then reverse engineer the limited valve grid information that you have, to create a grid that would fit into the available space and satisfy the required parameters ,

There is of course the other variables such as inlet length to take into account , all of these things go to make up the “system “ and all are interdependent ,

This is a very good oportunity to get some” heads together” and design / build a half scale argus ,

I am willing to offer my limited knowledge , anyone else up for a challenge ?

G

Firetube

Post by Firetube » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:37 pm

Servus (Hi in Bavaria)

I think the Argus 1:1 is a bit large for the 1. time.

I know, that it`s not possible to scale the diameters and lengths of the Tube up and down, it depends on the expected resonance frequency.

In my opinion, it would be better to start with an approved Eningesize, (like i did it with my Small engine), but i also don`t have plans for a "working" Pulsejet with Valve Grid.

My problem is, that i dont want to build an engine only with circa information, because it should work when its finished, i also will make a 3D CAD model, an i certainly will give the Data to everyone, (open source), but i don`t want to start at 0.

If somebody has a plan from a working Valve Grid Pulsejet, it would be very nice, when would get it.

I can promise that i don`t want to sell the engine, i just want to build it for me, to show at meetings.

When that eninge works, i can do some efforts to build an 1:1 Arugs..... that would be great.

I hope i was able to explain that the size an thrust etc of the engine, does not matter.

Thank you for Helping,

If someone wants to have the Plans or CAD Modell of my small engine, pleas contact me.

Best Regards

Kool
Antipspambot question: 125

22 inch diameter pulsejet

Post by Kool » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:41 pm

Here are some very interesting links of a 22 inch diameter valved pulsejet with dimensions of it, which i just found.

Performance test:
http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/rep ... -e-269.pdf

Neoprene-coated vs normal coated valve test
http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/rep ... -e-270.pdf
This is a very good oportunity to get some” heads together” and design / build a half scale argus
Yeah, that would be very great, or a 1/5 (somewhere about 100 lbs thrust) scale. :wink:
...It's better to generate heat efficiently, than recover it efficiently...