Single Rectangular Valve Engine

Moderator: Mike Everman

Purki
Antipspambot question: 0

Post by Purki » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:00 am

I found this AMAZING easy way of making a valved jet engine, I have access to TIG welding so its nice, might do it with pipe fittings

My Drawing:

The actual engine i got the idea from:

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:21 am

Presentation is Everything

Esser

Post by Esser » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:04 pm

that's really cool if it works! :D

lucky rookie

Post by lucky rookie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:17 pm

hello
when i was trying to build a smal pulsejet i used a very similar design i found on ther net and it worked really well
in fact i have just given thias very engine to a friend to start his journey into pulse jets
i WILL get this pulsjet running even if my wife says i wont

Jim Berquist

Post by Jim Berquist » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:40 pm

What would be the advantage on the angled reed? Less stress?
WHAT TO FRAP, IT WORKED![url=callto://james.a.berquist]Image[/url]

Purki

Post by Purki » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:34 am

Umm, kind of less stress and also SINGLE RECTANGULAR VALVE, Wich you can make in 2 seconds!

Bruno Ogorelec

Post by Bruno Ogorelec » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:02 pm

berquistj@peoplepc.com wrote:What would be the advantage on the angled reed? Less stress?
Less drag for the incoming air.

dynajetjerry

Single rectangular valve engine

Post by dynajetjerry » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Uh, Guys,

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade but this head design is pretty old. Insofar as I know, 2 gents in PA designed and sold about 1400 Sonajet engines before 1955 and their jets worked modestly well. I have one. Sibley's Craftjet is slightly later and smaller but it, too, is of this design.
The Minijet of 1946 used 4 triangular reeds in a "pyramidal" arrangement, not significantly different from this system.

My experiences indicate these systems are not particularly efficient (either fuel-wise or size-wise,) partly because they do not induce a lot of turbulence in the combustion chambers. Turbulence may be the main reason the Dyna-Jet and its myriad copies are considered to be more desired than other types.

Jerry
Louder is always better.

Mark

Single rectangular valve engine

Post by Mark » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:08 pm

I remember putting some large four petal V valves in a 2.5 inch diameter straight duct and found the same thing. I could never get it to sustain, and I figured the petals were not mixing the methanol well enough, and that the straight duct was too slippery, no transitions to help mixing either. I had a lot of hope but the light titanium tubing duct was just a dud. Maybe if I had put a dish or something behind the reeds, to swirl the air more.
Another thing, if you think of the flower petal reeds buzzing their winglets 220 times a second, that's a lot of fanning action.
If you had a fuel/air sprayer/injector, you could toy with straight ducts, I'm sure they would be willing to run, ala pulsating rocket style.
Presentation is Everything